Monomachine Love Thread

The moment you turn the monomachine on, press play, start turning a few knobs and entirely new and unplanned patterns start emerging. I really don’t think that there is another synth quite like it. As frustrating it can be (for me) to get specific sounds out of it, so much stuff just emerges from it that’s incredible fun.

6 Likes

the dream is real!

8 Likes

Looks so futuristic under its plastic shell - like an alien egg ready to hatch.

3 Likes

love the flipped lcd screen colors

1 Like

4 Likes

After some time sitting down with more recent gear acquisitions (:elot: and :elan: especially), I’m finally back to my beloved Monomachine. Current plan is to try and do a song with just Monomachine and Analog 4 (for drums) and trying to stay at 16 beats (or less) per pattern and just see what I can make. But the other main reason I pulled out the Monomachine again is I’ve been itching to start playing more with the DigiPRO machines with a bunch of the Adventure Kid Waveforms.

Combining some of those Adventure Kid FM waveforms with the Monomachine Karplus-Strong technique and parameter-locking the hell out of the LFO settings is - once again - reminding me why this machine is so special.

2 Likes

…and this is just one of those… :grin:

1 Like

woop! my work here is done.

Explore Alien Brain

18 Likes

Ah yes, the Nord Monomachine, love those.

8 Likes

The Monomachine is sexy enough in silver, but I do really like that black’n’red style. Daamn.

Fun little experiments continue - I had planned on doing a little crossover action with the Monomachine and A4 where the A4 did drums and effects for the MM. But I didn’t like the drum sounds I came up with on the A4 (tried, perhaps with too much ignorance, to make my own). So I started tinkering with Monomachine again, initially doing just a kick based on the SID machine. And then remembering the Dataline “Monomachine Workflow” video I remembered that you could use the different waveforms on SID as kind of a cheap ‘sound lock’ and soon after accidentally coming up with a good hi hat sound while trying to make a snare, I had a complete drum kit on one track in short order that sounded better than my A4 attempts.

Also found the fun of turning track 6 into a Dynamix Compressor FX track on channel AB so everything runs into it. Using AMP trigs on the compressor track has opened up a whole new world of fun and evil sound design (suddenly able to make some nice fake sidechains and other volume stutters) while adding some really nice texture to the whole thing. Feed that into a taste of A4 overdrive and reverb: :love_hotel:

7 Likes
10 Likes

Cool experiment, I do practice same combo (MnM/A4) to enhance my last gig (the MnM replace the MD). The MnM produce the rythms and A4 the other sounds.
I didn’t realised sooner that MnM could be a really decent (glitchy) drum machine.

1 Like

the funny knobs on the Machinedrum. i laugh my ass off :slight_smile:

1 Like

Monomachine is my best machine and i will take it to the grave. Such an amazing instrument! Each time i sit down to make some music i always end up using the MM no matter which synth i start to fiddle with. It´s like an itch, just gotta scratch it!

If elektron would make a new and improved version of it i would get that too. hoping, dreaming That would be wicked!

3 Likes

same here. i didn’t used the MnM for months. i pulled it out from under my bed yesterday, laid down on the bed and pulled some cool dub techno style chords out of the Mono for at least two hours. i was really amazed once again, for what things the Mono is capable of.

1 Like

I did a whole track recently using only the Monomachine. Well, almost only - I ran it through the A4 for some reverb, a touch of overdrive, and some occasional LFO filtering on the whole output. Initially I was going to try and do drums on the A4 but I found it easier to do them with the SID machine on the Monomachine.

I tried some new tricks this time that just increased my love for :elmm: even more.

• keeping all patterns to 16 steps (or less) for easier pattern jumping and for aggressive parameter locking without running out of p-lock memory.
  • loaded in some of the Adventure Kid Single Cycle waveforms and primarily used those to build the song (along with a SID machine drum track and eventually a VO voice track). Had some fun dynamically switching between waveform banks.
  • routing all tracks into a Dynamix compressor on track 6 that was triggered by the drum track (or manually), using P-Locks to get some sudden volume ducking and/or stuttering.
  • Using Darenager’s ‘karplus strong on monomachine video’ as influence I finally learned a bit about using semi-tuned super-short high-feedback delays, and that has opened up a whole new palette for me.
  • Man I love that you can parameter lock every single LFO setting. In absence of micro-timing and conditional trigs, the power of sequencing every aspect of those 3 LFOs on any given step is a killer feature.

I would dearly love this sound engine with the A4’s sequencer and performance features.

(Edited to add - ha! I forgot that I wrote about this same stuff at end of October. If still feels like I just finished this song but I guess it’s actually been a few weeks now.)

9 Likes

:elmm: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Sounds inspiring. Any chance you could post a link in the Our Music section, please?

It’s coming… at some point :slight_smile: This work is part of an album that’s still in progress. It’ll be free on Bandcamp and I’ll definitely share links to it when it’s ready.

There is this Instagram post from the track while it was in development:

4 Likes

Please do so! Sounds really nice :thup: