Monomachine internal buttons

My mono internal button (track 4) is broken! Someone had same trouble? And last but not least the internal battery is approaching to an end… hooray :frowning: Someone maybe has changed the battery by himself with a new one without soldering to the board? Please help an old Elektron Users/Elektronauts fellow, Thank You.

I didn’t think replacing the battery required soldering?

for the silverboxes MKI i think need soldering. :cool:

1 Like

It’s a Mk2 unit

i’m pretty sure you still can get those buttons from elektron for just a few bucks. don’t worry, the button is fast replaced.

Yes I ordered some from them and now I’m waiting UPS courier… but who knows how difficult is to change them?

For someone who has the right tools (solder-sucker/desolder braid, soldering iron, solder) and basic skills, it should be no problem.
You just have to desolder 3 points on the rear of the board, place the part in those (clean) holes, the re-solder.
It’s easy, but easy to mess up if you’ve never done it before.

2 Likes

Hi (d) ! My soldering skills are limited to solder audio cables… dunno if it’s enough. If I fell I cannot do it, I’ll take the mono to a technician… there’s no other way to install new button mechanisms, I guess :confused: (p.s.: thank you for your music, love it!)

Thanks!
Sorry again about your problem.

Your best bet if you feel even the slightest bit apprehensive, is to find someone to do it for you. I have a buddy who wanted to swap his MD screen; let’s just say it turned out very badly, despite him having some basic experience.

Good luck!

1 Like

here’s a sort of Tutorial in 3 parts by me. i replaced the encoders of my Machinedrum a couple of months ago. however, it’s about a Machinedrum MK1, but the construction of both units are quite the same. at least you can use it as inspiration and to see the insides of the device. i did not solder stuff since my school times. this was the first time after about 20 years ago. in my opinion i did a really good job.

3 Likes

Now she’s alive and bleeding into my eardrums! New battery and new internal buttons! Thank you all!!!

5 Likes

yeah! Happy Tweaking

1 Like

How’d the replacement go? Did you do it yourself? Did you have to buy a new button?

One popped off of my machinedrum today! I haven’t had the chance to really assess the damage yet, but hoping it’s an easy fix!

I ordered some replacements from Elektron HQ. They sent me some “internal mechanism buttons” and made the repair by myself. Desoldered the broken ones and soldered the new ones. Hope this help!

2 Likes

Did you have much experience soldering before? Was it difficult?
I’ve only done the most basic soldering before and that was years ago.

I did it with a more skilled than me friend who provided the solder sucker (that I do no have, I just have a basic solderer…). My 2 cents: if you don’t feel like doing yourself, don’t do it… Let it do to a service center. Have you got a pic of the mainboard with the broken button mechanism?

1 Like

Yeah, I think I’ll be able to find a tech around.
Haven’t opened her up yet to get a nice view, but here’s something

Yes, same as my issue, I had 3 of them replaced. working time (for 3 buttons): 30 min.

2 Likes