MK1 sdram error

Hello! After long happy time, my monomachine mk1 is dead. It doesnt boot, no startup led sequence, , during the test mode I have sdram error. I checked all internal connections - everything looks fine, no corrosion or oxidation.
Elektron support said that it is motherboard fault, maybe cpu, but they cant help me, my unit is too old.

Is it good idea to resolder sdram chip? they are still avaible.

looks pretty sad :frowning:

if you can desolder it with ease, why not?! when there are spare Chips left, it’s the only way to bring the MM back to live. would be very cool, when you document the replacement. i’m interested because i’m a owner of an MK1 too!

wow there’s another MnM thread about a guy with a DSP2 fault. really bums me out that Elektron stopped supporting these. they’re barely fifteen years old. I get it if they can’t warranty it for you, but a stash of parts and a repair center would be nice.

anyway, sorry to hear about your baby. hope you can figure it out and please document it here if you do.

They haven’t serviced mki units in a long while. And the last batch of the silver boxes only have about a year or so left on the warranties. It’s likely elektron only has enough parts to hopefully cover warranty repairs at this point.

Replace the SRAM chip or give it me for cheap.

yeah I get it. I guess I’m moreso complaining about the nature of digital machines. meanwhile I just repaired a 40 year old Jupiter 4… :man_shrugging:

the person could also repair their Monomachine. Just not directly through elektron. The chips are available as the person stated in their first post, and if the person is confident they can do it themselves it can be done. There are also probably local shops that could do the repair.

Did Roland repair your 40 year old Jupiter 4?
Cause if you did it yourself, it’s no different from the situation here. And the pseudo argument of analog Vs digital doesn’t really stand.

1 Like

seems like these aren’t so easy to repair though, or even possible. Simon from Elektron even says: “Should a unit be unserviceable, in example a broken DSP card, please contact support and we will try to find a solution.” and then Olie later says: “There have not been any DSP, UI, CPU or I/O boards left for those for years and since about one year back there are no parts left even in the pile of terminated units. Even the actual components are obsolete. We are out. Completely out.”

source: SFX-6 repair in Germany

I’d love to be wrong and these be easily serviceable, of course. oh and I’m not starting any argument (certainly not virtual analog vs digital, when the Jupiter 4 is pure analog baby!), just trying to discuss…

The first poster stated the sram chip was available. So despite what elektron have or don’t have on hand the unit seems to be repairable.

Additionally, you just repaired a vintage synth and I’m going to assume you’ve done it before. I would then assume, you should know sometimes working parts are cannibalized from one synth to fix another.

If the op can obtain the sram chip, seems like a repair can be done.

Also I said analog vs digital. Not virtual analog. It well know the j4 is analog.

Surface mount soldering isn’t too hard once you get the hang of it. You just need an iron with a really fine point and some desoldering wick to soak up any excess to prevent shorts between the pins. You might want to get a few of the needed parts and use one of them to practice on a Schmartboard. Additionally, get a soldering vacuum to help with the removal of the bad part.

Also, in the future please wear pants when taking a picture.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

ah, you edited your post. you originally said “pseudo analog vs digital argument” so I assumed you meant “virtual analog.” but anyway…

yeah certainly scavenging old MnM’s for parts is an option. but that basically just proves my point that these things aren’t really easily repaired. seems like it’s a repair even Elektron didn’t want to do.

Yet still no different from you repairing the Jupiter yourself. Roland didn’t do it for you. I’m not really understanding the whole let’s throw shade on the Monomachine and elektron cause the op couldn’t get a repair for a discontinued, out of production synthesizer directly from them. The synth is still repairable, which you seem to totally be disregarding. Op also said the sram is available which you also seem to be disregarding. You aren’t being helpful to the op by insisting it can’t be done or that no one wants to do it.

Sorry you misread, I edited for clarity, bacause you misunderstood, pseudo doesn’t mean virtual. Never heard of anyone calling virtual analog, pseudo analog. Didn’t mean to cause you confusion.

cool. agree to disagree then. since you seem hell-bent on reading into and refuting every bit I say, I’m done arguing the semantics of my opinion with you.