Mixer with integrated looper per channel

Hey
I have a liveset with three elektron machines and i buld a Ableton liveset with controller mappings to mix and loop each channel, to be able to switch pattern on one machine while the looper is active and then blend in the new pattern.

While this works pretty well i still have some problems with it, the controller layout is not ideal, i need laptop, soundcard and a controller just to get this simple task done. makes my setup much more heavy. also i got strange problems with my soundcard last time and would like to kick the computer out of the setup.

So my question: is there any small mixer with integrated looper (with midi clock) per channel? or a multichannel looper which would be easy to hook up to a small mixer?

thanks!

Octatrack? You can have upto 4 separate mono inputs each with their own recording buffer, you could have the 4 incoming signals set to tracks 1-4 for recording and to 5-8 for thru machines, this way with a bit of setting up you could have a fairly flexible recording, mixing looper. The use of parts could enhance it further, for example set it up on part 1, copy part 1 to part 2, change fx or machines etc. With use of mutes, scenes and the crossfader you can, with a bit of practice and configuration jump from live audio to captured loops instantly, fade between live and loop etc.

1 Like

well, it’s not exactly “small” but I use the Xone DB4, which has a dedicated looper on all of the 4 channels directly in front of you.

Plus you get a dedicated FX-Channel per track.

I use it as you described for transitioning between different patterns on the elektrons.

jeah i looked into it, and thats also how i currently have set it up (with the transition trick), in case i dont bring my laptop.
however its quite fiddly to get the transition trick working right… its a good workaround though and jeah i didnt need any mixer. however dedicated eqs + a simpler looper would be a different thing.

ok interesting but expensive solution :wink: looks great though.

do you have the looper in the xone midi synced somehow or does the beat detection work well enough?

And not that small…
What about a tiny mixer and a looper (Boss RC/Pigtronix infinity…)

beat detection works perfectly for the drum parts, synth parts are dependant on what you play…

sometimes I let the beat detection do its thing and wait for happy accidents, but most of the time i set the bpm in the mixer’s menu, I don’t change the bpm when playing live, so that’s no hassle…

i don’t regret buying this mixer, it’s really well built and sounds fantastic.

1 Like

but yes, it’s not “small” in the common sense :slight_smile:
and yes, it’s not cheap. bought it second hand from a german electronic artist who just used it in a couple of studio tracks…

i wouldn’t have bought it if I had to pay the full price though, 1.700 EUR is a lot of money…