Mixer suggestions for a dub (or dub techno) jam station?

I’m trying to create an away-from-the-computer, dub/dub techno, jam station. I’d love to hear from others who have put together such setups. What do you have? What would you do differently?

Want to base it around a reasonably simple and affordable analog mixer for hooking up a couple drum machines and synths with guitar pedals for send fx.

Beats - TR-8, TR-8S
Bass - Samples in the TR-8S, Korg Monologue, MS20
Stabs - Samples in the TR-8S, Volca FM, Volca Keys
FX - Zoom MS-70CDR, Boss DD-7, Boss RV-6, Boss DM-2w, EHX Small Stone Phaser, Korg Monotron Delay

Mixer - ??? - I’ve googled until my eyes are crossed. Anybody know of anything that gets pretty close to this? Mixers are my weak point so forgive me if I get any terminology or concepts wrong.

• 10+ channels with faders, not knobs.
  • Not too huge. Don’t have much space and don’t want a ton of unused channels begging me to buy more gear.
  • 4 aux sends with ability to be pre-fader. Would like stereo returns for each. Would like aux sends to be used for fx only, not foldback monitoring. I know I could use channels for returns but I’d like to keep free for instruments, plus I’m not too worried about doing 100% historical dub style mixing.
    ** Aux 1 - main echo fx
    ** Aux 2 - spring reverb
    ** Aux 3 - extra delay
    ** Aux 4 - extra reverb, phaser, misc.
  • Don’t need or really want internal fx.
  • Would like to stick with something made in the last 8 years or so from a decent manufacturer as I don’t want to worry about repairs for a while.
  • Build quality is important to me. Wobbly knobs and faders would drive me nuts.
  • Budget - could go up to ~ $900 for the right one, but like to stay lower, obviously.

Candidates so far:

• Soundcraft LX7ii 16-channel Mixer
  • Soundcraft Signature 22 MTK
  • Mackie 1642 VLZ4
  • Mackie Onyx 1640i (and maybe 1620i)
  • Allen & Heath MixWizard 14:4:2 ($$$, buy used?)

I think the Mackie has a slight lead as I’ve owned a 1202 before and liked it well enough. But the LX7ii is used by a couple of artists I really respect (stk, Luss).

3 Likes

I would definitely like a mixer with many more send FX channels (I currently have 2, + internal Lexicon FX on my Soundcraft Powerstation 600 mixer - which is also far too big for my purposes). So I’ll be watching for any replies with interest too.

1 Like

I’m happy with my 1604VLZ3. I’ll run a delay return back to a channel so I can feedback loop, and then run a insert chain on the return with interesting filtering, etc. I like having the 6 aux channels, an insert on every channel and a master insert. This is a pretty handy setup if you’ve got a pile of effects boxes.

4 Likes

Sounds like a nice setup! Thanks for the reply. What’s your insert chain on the return look like - type of filtering? Don’t mean to force you to give up any secrets, so no worries if you decline to answer. I do have a Sherman filter I’m looking to put somewhere on the mixer. Maybe on the master? Also I’d like to put a Strymon Deco on the master eventually.

I have a 1642VLZ4, I like it but channel count is not cutting it anymore.

I like to have all my hardware hooked up (incl. all separate outs), First plan was to get a submixer for drum, percussion and bass maybe. That is also the cheapest and most immediate.

Another plan is a Patchbay. But I like to unplug all effects and start over all the time to keep experimenting so a patchbay could make me lazy convenient and stuck in an fx loop …

Now I am thinking keeping the 1642 and adding Qupac, not interconnected, just 2 setups and gear swapping for creativity and inspiration.

I am not sure yet… :slight_smile:

If I would replace my 1642, I would go Midas Venice or Mixwizard 16:2 for “performance style” mixing. But at the moment I am too busy learning my way into modular and … the OT and manual are next to my bed. :wink:

1 Like

I have a few analog filters that I’ll run on the insert for the delay return: Pro-One, Korg 770, Pulse+, Yamaha CS5, Sherman FB2 and a Frostwave Sonic Alienator. I’ll pick one of these and route the output into a limiter and then back into the board.

It’s been my experience that the 770 and the CS5 BPFs are best for creating an approximation of that tape sound when used this way. I’ll see if I can record a couple stabs this weekend and upload them for you.

That said, I’m also a fan of the Sherman for crazy rhythmic stuff. The key is to be subtle with the Sherman, something that most people wouldn’t think is possible if their only experience is with youtube demos. The Sherman is great for noise but it’s not a one trick pony. I’d be concerned about running the Sherman on the master unless you have a limiter on the output. :rofl:

3 Likes

Ah, cool. I was going to ask you what mixer you were using in that recent photo in the Setups thread. Thanks. Fantastic looking space by the way. An actual acoustic piano in there as well! Nice. I’m not a great keys player - or great anything player for that matter - but ideally I want to start collecting little percussion instruments to balance all my ITB and electronic hardware instruments. Congas, shakers, tabla, hang drum, etc.

I hear you on the patchbay. Mine is sitting on a shelf collecting dust. I just didn’t get along with it for some reason.

I’m in a similar mode of thinking these days. Instead of trying to have the perfect integrated setup, I am planning to have little stations. Computer/DAW, dub jam station, acoustic recording station, etc. I know a lot of people here love that Qupac.

Yes, the Midas Venice line seems ideal. I’ve seen TM404 and Pole using those, I think. Good endorsements for dub techno-ish music! Wish I had their budget.

Sounds like you have your hands full all right. I dare not wade into those murky waters.

2 Likes

I couldn’t get by without a patch bay so I consider them an essential.

I’d have to move to have a single mixer big enough to accommodate everything.

2 Likes

That is a delicious menu of analog filters to choose from! Ah, yes, limiter is one thing I am without at the moment in hardware. Need to jot that down.

That is very generous of you. Can’t wait to hear it.

I should have specified, it’s a Sherman/Rodec Restyler. So not as wild as the Filterbanks I guess. I can imagine they have the potential to do some damage to ears & monitors.

1 Like

My mackie 1640i has 6 aux sends all with dedicated knobs. Perfect for Dub. You can also route them to vst effects if you wish but I stick to hardware effects with mine.

3 Likes

I am moving :wink:

I just ordered a 3U 19" rack case for Audio interface+ADAT extension + … yes, a later to be added patch bay (buyer tips?).

I can imagine you have been adding more and more to the arsenal of sounds/effects/filters, I feel already there is never going to be a mixer big enough if I stay healthy and passionate about this.

2 Mixers (1 analog/1 digital) and an OT setup is where I am going for.

2 Likes

Oh nice. 4 aux returns on back. Aux knobs close to the faders, unlike some mackies. Thanks!

One or two of these will do the job. :+1:

1 Like

following here, because I´m also looking for a mixer :slight_smile:
I had a Soundcraft also in mind but just wondering why they didn´t put real return channels on the Spirit / EPM series.
The LX looks good. It also has direct outs (also the Mackie 1642 and the Midas has) which would be good. So you can perform your mix with fades and eq and stuff and record all channels on single tracks in your DAW. I would also look for a mixer with a main out + 2 x 2 sub outs … which works like a patchbay.
Yeah I saw Pole using the Midas Venice for live session. Not sure what he has in the studio.

2 Likes

I am in the same boat as you and am looking at the Allen Heath MixWiz 16:2 used.

1 Like

The closest I ever got to ”proper” dubtech sound was when recording to tape, either c—cassette or reel to reel. That’s a good way to get close to that sound. The rest of your gear can be pretty much whatever.

Of the 3 obvious contenders (Allen&Heath , Mackie , Soundcraft) , i always loved Soundcraft the most… regardless of the specs (channels , busses , etc) , i just find they sound the best . They have this roundness and thickness to them , i guess you can call it warmth that is rarely found in mixers of that budget .

I myself have a Soundcraft GB2 - 16 Channel , which has a pretty good EQ section for the money . A little over your budget … Honestly it was a little over mine too , but i don’t regret spending those extra 300 euro for that EQ . Needless to say this is all very subjective though…

2 Likes

Well, I’m more going for a computer-free hands-on workflow. I’ll probably use all sorts of thing on the final stems in the DAW like Satin, bits of recorded noise, vinyl sims, etc. Gave up my Tascam tape a good while back. I’ll maybe get 80% of the way there in the DAW as far as tape sounds. This is more just about fun after a long day at work.

I would add Yamaha too. I have the small MG10 for live set and the op-amp / pre amp in the mixer gives a nice little saturation. Just a little. But really good sound. Just a shame that there is no parametric mid eq … just 2.5khz. Loved to sweep the mids of some access virus chords on my old mackie mixer and send it to behringer dm600 pingpoing tape style delay.

1 Like

So of course my Virus TI is acting up tonight. I made some synth stab patches on the Virus but the damn thing won’t stop popping and crackling so I fired up 2 other mono synths for fun.

The sound sources are a Futureretro Revolution and a DSI Evolver. The delay return is sent back to 2 channels on the desk, one of which is a dry signal with mild feedback, the other is sent through the BPF on the Yamaha CS5. Both channels are EQ’d with a 75Hz HPF and a 6db boost at 2kHz. You’ll hear me tweaking the filter cutoff and applying feedback during the recording. This is totally not the dub esthetic so my apologies. Hopefully my Virus/computer will cooperate tomorrow and I can record the results for you.

1 Like