Mistaking TRK for PTN

I played my first gig with my Digitakt + iPad set on Saturday and, although it went pretty well, I had a few bad moments where my patterns suddenly changed to empty slots… I’m not sure if it was always the case, but I think the nerves (and maybe the little bit of weed I smoked a before playing :roll_eyes: :relaxed:) made me confuse the TRK button for the PTN button, so instead of selecting a track, I would change pattern and at the end of the cycle it would suddenly become silent (empty pattern)… bad trip.

does it happen to you too? I’m already thinking of making some sort of plastic cap that might prevent me/altert me from pressing PTN, since my muscle memory seems to confuse them sometimes…

2 Likes

Next time just take your guitar :joy:

5 Likes

The same has happened to me.

I doesn’t seem to bother me now, after about 2 months of use. I assume that the frustration of making such a mistake has driven me to learn the correct way to do it and hopefully this will carry through to a higher pressure/ live situation.

The best way to solve the problem is practising the keystrokes I guess; that way, even when you’re ‘distracted’/ ‘in the zone’, you should be okay.

2 Likes

yeah, although I’ve been thinking of asking a friend to 3D print some kind of cap for the PTN button so I can’t press it accidentaly :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t do it.
What happens when you become more proficient and require the pattern key?

Consider putting some masking tape (easily removable) around the track key/ one you want to focus on.

Surely it’s better to have your options open. Also, that way, you can ask your friend to print a cute little toy/ trinket to include in your YouTube videos instead :wink:

2 Likes

yeah you’re probably right… that was my first choice - just adding a little bit of tape on it or something that might make it feel different…

I have so many new tracks now that I have my Digitakt, I have to get back to the videos :wink:

Mightlife is right ! Cut your fingers instead :sunglasses:

I feel your pain. I’ve done exactly the same thing at least once every time I’ve played a show.

1 Like

119_shop2_535163

7 Likes

Happens to me too, but more annoyingly I often mistake Save Ptn for Reload Ptn which is about as destructive a performance change as you can make.

8 Likes

A good pair of sunglasses, a stick, and a big white dog, that’s the only solution :sunglasses:

1 Like

Haha that would be perfect

Ouch, that sucks… I’ve made that mistake too - actually reloading instead of saving… I wish those had an undo option if you press them again right away! It’s an easy way to lost a lot of work

1 Like

Hey All,

I agree, because the PTN button is next to the tracks, I often think I be hitting the PTN for tracks.
I wonder if it would be possible to have a small update where you could (in software) swap what the two buttons do?

Thanks,
Brett

I would say that’s never going to happen

Every once in a while on the dt I’ll press func instead of track, or bank instead of pattern. So sometime I’ll end up in mute mode when I want chromatic mode and vice versa. Nothing too bad though.
Often on my Monomachine I’ll hit the tempo button when I want to hit func, sometimes the results are interesting.

Just experienced the same for the first time now. Got me mindf* for a second there :smile:
It would actually help if the colour combination when pressing TRK and PTN is different, right now they are both white+red. White+blue for PTN for example would cause less errors i suppose.

1 Like

this is a great idea! maybe you can submit it as a support ticket

well, I couldn’t help myself… so I asked a friend to 3D-print a “lock cap” for my PTN button :nerd_face:
it has a magnet on the side so it stays in place :wink:
I have a gig coming up and I rather not take the risk

4 Likes

Cool! Although I would have chosen a different colour - guess it really stands out though.

Good luck with the gig, but are you doing the whole thing with one pattern?