MegaCommand // MiniCommand Resurrection // MCLive

Ah-ha! That’s even better than I imagined.

128 different machine “states” including sequence, plock, cond. trig (etc.) data, all saved and loaded to/from the MCL.

Another thing: I know we haven’t gotten a 100% confirmation that it works on MK1 models, but why wouldn’t it? Can you think of anything, @JustinValer ? Sure, there is a step limit of 32 per pattern on the MK1, but since the MCL’s seq is controlling the MD, there should be no issue…right?

2 Likes

The trigger interface hasn’t been tested on the MK1 model. It works using a global channel exploit i discovered. The code might be different for the MK1 but I doubt it.

2 Likes

Just committed a significant update to MCL and associated patches to MIDICtrl:

Old projects will not be compatible.

Project data will likely be overwritten as the project counter
has been reset to 0.

Project header size has been changed to 4096 bytes to accomodate
config data structure and provide additional space for future updates.

Projects are now properly 512 byte aligned. Should be a small performance
benefit for SDCard read + write access.
Config file data structure has been changed.

Project settings are now saved and loaded dynamically:
- Turbo Settings
- Clock Settings
- Grid Row + Slot position also saved and loaded.

FYI: The changes above should prevent any future changes breaking project compatibility.

2 Likes

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Did you say there’s a way for to test the MKI compatibility? If so, let me know and I’ll do it up!

Same for the Monomachine. I have an SFX6 and it indeed has the ability to transmit MIDI notes without triggering internal sounds (GLOBAL->CONTROL OUT1->KEYBOARD: INT, INT+OUT, [OUT])

1 Like

I’ve seen the devil, his name is TurboMidi :evil:.

I’ve been in TurboMIDI hell the last few days trying to track down a bug that crept in with some of the latest commits. It was affecting port 2 more noticeably than port 1.

I reverted a few commits and re-worked the TurboMIDI code for more reliable speed switching.

Should be all fixed now with the latest patches.

3 Likes

Hi @JustinValer
Will or may it be as an option in the future?
Machinedrum ** Swing / Per Track

You can achieve swing per track with Microtiming.

Working on my soldering fobia :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Just gotta say that this thread is like reality TV for me, so cool! Love all the behind the scenes stuff.

2 Likes

I had a mysterious idea to rewrite the way sysex messages are received. Originally they were stored in the MIDI ring buffer, before being transferred to a dedicated sysexbuf. Now we just write the messages directly to the sysexbuf in the interrupt service routines for the MIDI ports.

This saves a hell of a lot of RAM and seems like we’ve got a quite a bit of performance boost as well.

At one point we were down to 3KB of free RAM, now i have around 21KB to play with.

5 Likes

Waiting for other components to arrive.
Main component (MD MkII UW+) already arrived - yes, I really bought MD just because of Justin’s work.

2 Likes

Just experimented with doubling the MicroTiming resolution, to be on par with the current elektron range. 10degrees left or right.
This allows you to layer sounds with greater precision.

This was always on my to do list, but slightly wary as we have to generate an intermediate clock event between Midi Clock messages.

Still testing for jitter and latency, but so far so good.

Also, I discovered the glitchy sound @MonCalamari was talking about with micro timing. Not sure of the cause yet, happened on a ROM machine. sounds like a weird phase issue possibly.

3 Likes

@JustinValer

Latest Version does not work. I have formatted my SD-Card, now i try to create a new project, but nothing happens. After some time the normal screen comes up, i can navigate thru the menu etc., but can’t read or write to the MD. After a restart the Megacommand doesn’t
seem to recognize the project, all i can do is to create a new project again.

I have tried different SD-Cards, the problem remains. When i look into the card, a project is there.

Any advise?

Hey Mon,

Just pushed hot fixes for the issue above. Please reformat and try again. Let me know if you still have issues.

Also in the last hour I released the new micro timing changes. So I’d recommend pulling in the latest commits for both MIDICtrl and MCL.

Have fun. i need sleep :stuck_out_tongue:

• J
1 Like

Justin: THANKS!

Everything works again, have a nice sleep.

My setup for tonight (just jamming with friends):

• Machinedrum + Megacommand
  • and my new little Toy, zynthian:

A Raspberry Pi 3 Synth.

No time to sleep :nerd_face:

4 Likes

What do you think of the new micro timing.

I just had a bit of a play, and it’s very tight to my ears :slight_smile:

With the confirmation that MCL works with MKI machines (verified with JustinValer via MIDI testing), I’m ready to jump on-board at this point!

To those that have contacted me about building them one, are you ready? PM me if you’re still interested.

1 Like

Any other source for clickable encoders (apart from asking Elektron for “theirs”) anyone? I recall that long time ago I saw someone on this forum stating that they found that part elsewhere, but now I can not find that post. :frowning:

I’d also be grateful for detailed images of said encoders as well as specs (phases, “grey code” bit width, pulses per rotation, etc)

search Bourn PEC11 encoder. They come with a push button in dented or dentless variety.

2 Likes

Thanks, Justin! :thup: I somehow thought it was Alps; turned out that I was wrong. It must be either PEC11L or PEC11R-40hhF-S00rr (where hh is shaft height and rr is resolution), and while I can deduce height, I do not really know about resolution. There seem to be three variants available for PEC11R - with 12, 18 or 24 pulses per one full 360’ rotation, and 15, 20 PPR for PEC11L (which are advertised as 3 times more durable); :elmd: ones seem to me like 24 PPR - but I do not know for sure. I guess I’ll try PEC11R-4115F-S0024, that is, 15mm high shaft, detented.