Midi Notes triggering Slices

I got it working… I’ve been pounding my 16 pads and laying down beats using drum sample chains (16 slices).
Firing off midi notes which get converted to CC #s and blabbedy blabbedy blah… it is working awesome (enough).
If you’ve got a 16 pad controller you can play the slices live on the pads and live record it . If you’ve got 4 banks of 16 pads you can play 64 slices from one track… Keyboards should work too (though I haven’t even tested mine)
Any questions?

You’re probably hearing the last slice selected ! The tricky bit is that the OT possibly takes 20-40ms to actually change the slice. That’s the experience of a few of us, search the threads and compare notes
Assign spoken words one to sixteen to the pads as an easy way to verify you are hearing what you pressed, it’s easy to assume it’s working when the slices are sorta random !

I may be wrong, but why don’t you check it out first then report back

That sounds great! Hope you are right. Thanks for sharing your hard work with the community!

So how could I do this with my AKAI MPD 24?
Really looking forward, to get this going.

Okay, just read the other thread where you’re discussing this and you’re aware that you need to delay the message or that there is an issue with the slice you hear. In my experience to get it 100% accurate the latency was unacceptable , but if you are using a slightly random slice it’s still fun although the OT is one slice out !

1 Like

Just curious, were you using track trigs or sample trigs? Were you sending on the auto channel or the track channel.
I think the delaying of the CC note seemed to be only a part of the trick.
I think I got the delay setting down to 30 and was able to lay down beats at 110 Bpm relatively comfortably.

so you updated the patch?
hope to check it out tomorrow!
(got a show tonight)

i’m very curious, can’t wait to verify this! :slight_smile:

thanks for posting it.

No, I didn’t update it yet. That patch is the one I made that was working but not quite right.

You will need to be running pure data on your computer… Should be able to run on iOS devices, but I haven’t gotten around to testing that yet, and I only have an iphone now anyway, sadly no ipad.

It should work with any pad controller that can send midi notes out.
akai pads > computer/pure data patch > octatrack.

I’m not really sure if I should upload it yet even, because it’s just a raw patch and Pure Data is kind of confusing at first. I might just wait till I build a better user interface for it and then upload it.

I uploaded a kind of buggy version 24 hours before I got it pimped out and working really good, so maybe check that one out too…
http://www.elektronauts.com/files/download/91

Just out of curiosity , what midi note numbers are you sending from your akai pads?