Midi keyboard recommendations

I’m looking for a medium (around 49 keys) sized midi keyboard with decent action and aftertouch. I’d like it to have real midi out, not just usb. do I really need to put out around 500 eur for a Kontrol ss49 or arturia keylab mkii? Anyone have good experiences with other brands? I do like the NI and Arturia ones, but it’s just so much money? Recommendations? Cheers!

Roland A-500 Pro, as long as you don’t mind Roland’s combined pitch/mod controller. If you want separate wheel controls I think you can get an M-Audio one that has proper midi out but I much prefer the feel of the Roland to the M-Audio Keystation I had.

Oh no, they removed the midi ports from the Keystation II. Shame.

The Arturia Keylab Essential looks like good value but based on experience, again, I doubt the action is as nice as the Roland.

Novation Impulse?

I’ve had real bad experiences with novation, non existent support, and my novation SL mkII just stopped working for mac. The specs were amazing but it just wasn’t working! The keylab essential doesn’t have aftertouch i think?

You’re right, it doesn’t.

I like the Roland a lot. I use an A-800 Pro as a master midi keyboard for everything. I’ve had an M-Audio and a Nektar and for a straightforward midi keyboard I definitely prefer the Roland. It has a much more professional action - nicely damped, not rattly.

I used a akai MPK49 yrs ago which was good. Sure its got midi and usb ports on back.

Its in its box up attic.

Akai have newer versions out that may be worth looking into - http://www.akaipro.com/products/keyboard-controllers/mpk-249

Sell for about 300 uk pounds.

these look ok too -http://www.akaipro.com/products/keyboard-controllers/advance-49

Novation have the best support in the business!

They are on the end of the phone nearly 24/7 from Monday to Friday for worldwide help.
Can usually turn around any technical issues in super quick time via email, phone, Live Chat and Team Viewer.
Faulty products in warranty (2 years, not 1) are usually replaced for new. Non warranty repairs are turned around usually within 5 working days.

On the cheap there’s the Samson Graphite, the keylab mk2 looks nice and has lots of control/pedal inputs.
The NI stuff doesn’t seem designed for standalone use.

Well thank you for the advert, not my experience though! I got replies that said, sorry can’t help you with the Mac, check our support section for downloads and drivers - that did not work. So my SL mk2 went in the trash. The key action and design overall was ok though. That screen was a bit tiny and not so nice to look at but hey, this was about 6 years ago, maybe somethings changed.

Thanks, I’ll look into akai, midi controllers are the thing that they actually seem to know how to do! The Roland ones seem the best choice sub 3-400 right now.