MIDI: DT vs OT

deleted

yeah: the :elot: has 3 FLO’s, an LFO designer and a MIDI arp and is capable of MIDI learn.

4 Likes

OT Arp.
DT has vel fade options on Retrig.

3 Likes

No comparison really. They both can sample. That’s about the extent of similarities. One is older than the other. One is bigger. I think all of the comparison topics have been discussed. There was even a sample quality comparison. I’m not trying to be a smart ass, maybe a little sarcastic. But this has been brought up more than the one time it should have been. Search the forum and you will find many topics on exactly what you are looking for. These serve two very different purposes and handle samples very differently. Watch some videos too bc there are several of those as well.

To answer your question it would be nice to know what your intention is. Even the Monomaschine is a fat MIDI-sequencer, every DAW is far more sophisticated in sequencing than any of the maschines tracks - so what’s your purpose?

Same goes for midi as well. OT has midi learn. Basically, turn a knob or button on the external gear and assign it to one on the OT and it will now perform that function on the OT. Very handy for assigning multiple knob movements on your external gear to a single knob on the OT. no midi learn on the DT. It gives you the ability to sequence external gear like the OT and provide the DT filter, amp, lfo, delay, reverb, everything a DT can normally do with its onboard molding abilities. Sample that external gear you sequenced with the DT and move it to the audio pool and do with it as you normally handle audio.

Yes, I use Keystep with my digitakt. Great for chromatic mode as well. There is a YouTube video showing the different ways they use a Keystep with the digitakt.

1 Like

yes it is. IMHO there is no so much difference in workflow between those two maschines. BTW - MIDI learn is one of the features i’m missing most on the DT.

1 Like

I was looking to do the same as you, but I quickly learned they are purposed for two different things. I never got rid of either bc they work very well together.

It’s really good to hear that you are doing your research and reading the manuals. Most people admit they don’t. While these are very great tools for learning the OT or any of the elektrons. What I found that best works for me is read a section and try to repeat what I just read. You can never remember everything in those manuals. And it takes tons of practice to get the muscle memory for the functions you are after as well as lots of experimenting and happy accidents. Your are going through what many of everyone in these forums are going through or have gone through. That’s the great thing about the elektronauts forum. The wealth of tips and tricks and knowledge here is simply unfathomable.

1 Like

Don’t be too hasty to disregard the depth of the mduw either. That single machine is extremely capable and versatile. You would be hard pressed to find people who understand this to give up theirs. It seems to be the easiest to get the basics down with but you can keep going. Which is exactly the same with everything Elektron puts out. If you think you have mastered the basics use a different machine or sound. Get more machines from the Elektron site. Sample and resample internal and external.

You’ll get the OT, one day it will just “click” for you. The machine isn’t really that difficult, but remembering all of the ways it can be used is what’s really hard.

1 Like

Afaik OT midi (I could be wrong):

• doesn’t send note off, just note on
  • recorded midi from midi in will not hold notes within a chord once another note is triggered
  • won’t allow instant plocking of external gear as the cc change gets sent just after the note on?

Is the DT different?

hmm, lets see

OT plusses

• 10 CC automation slots
  • Arp with scales
  • 3 LFOs with custom shapes that can also modulate the Arp params
  • The parts paradigm (easy reusing of seq config)
  • Comprehensive polyrhytm/polymetry in seq
  • plays-free tracks
  • very good songmode

OT minuses

• The parts paradigm (only up to 4 different MIDI configs per pattn bank)
  • No conditirgs
  • A bug/issue with note and CC timing of data
  • no pgm chng locking possibility

DT pluses

• conditrigs
  • better retrig functionality
  • mute states saved in pattn
  • pgm chng locks!
  • every pattn has its own MIDI configs
  • tempo can be independent for pattns

DT minuses

• no arp, only 1 LFO, no custom shapes
  • no parts/kits (reusing MIDI configs clunky)
  • no songmode yet
3 Likes

yes.

nonsense.

That’s MIDI. Recorded or trig triggered. How should that work?

That’s MIDI. You have to be aware of what you’re doing.

What he means is that on the OT, all four notes must be of equal lenght, ie. you cannot record a chord which has notes of varying lenght from each other.

wrt to the other thing, its not MIDI. This is a known issue with the octa sequencer and confirmed by elektron.

1 Like

“Nonsense”?

You might want to read this Octatrack - MIDI Note Offs?

And this

Monomachine sends before.

1 Like

Can you elaborate on this? AFAIK if you add a new midi learn assignment, the old one is forgotten. There’s no control of multiple simultaneous CCs via knob or fader.

1 Like

that’s a shame

Excuse me, ‘Note+Vel=0’ is an equal command to ‘Note off’ - and allowed following MIDI specifications.

ok, ok! I can only assume, since the OT followed the MD, that OT’s MIDI was improved. If control was transmitted after the first note(-status byte) it makes sure that it was received in a chain of events (= Midi running status).

Yeah I know. @mokomo’s statement implicated a different understanding to me. Sorry, I dont want to argue.