Midi Bank Select (outgoing)

The issue is further complicated by the fact that the OT uses CC32 for something, LFO2 depth IIRC. A bit of a no-no - it might hamper a fast fix for full LSB/MSB transmission.

1 Like

Since i have writting this post , i decided to put my atc -x away from my live machoines because of that and use it only in studio situation.
But now i want to use it again in a live context , and the problem i sstill there .
I don’t understand this MSB/LSB history .
tha atc-x has kind of randoming answer when i’m sending CC0 ou CC32 message . pretty strange…

Smokyfrog, what do you mean ? i don’t understand . What is IIRC ? what is no-no ?
What does "hamper " means ( sorry my native language is franch , not english )

=

…, if I recall correctly. This practice does not conform to the MIDI specification, so if Elektron were to fix the Bank Select problem it would cause compatibility problems for existing OT projects.

1 Like

I have the same issue. I cannot control my Moog Sub 37 Bank Select from the Octatrack. And ever since I updated my DSI Tetra the bank select does not work flawlessly either due to MSB/LSB issues. Even when I try using CC 32 in combination with Octatrack’s standard Bank Select CC 0.

So if I’m correct there is no workaround for this? I think this is pretty essential for a midi-sequencer isn’t it? This is especially important for live use, but also for projects in the studio where my Octatrack is the master console and therefore I want to be able to save the right synth programs inside every project. :frowning:

3 Likes

While trying to replicate my issue once more now my Tetra seems to do Bank select just fine when switching between patterns with different parts assigned. My guess is that I had both standard bank select filled in as well as a CC#32. Too bad the first note is not always triggered, but I guess this is because the Tetra first needs to switch bank/program before it triggers a new note, dropping the first one needed to play.

What I found out about the Sub37 is that I can only select bank 0, or bank 1. When bank 0 is selected I can choose program 0-128, which in the Sub is bank 1-8 and the 16 programs in each bank. When bank 1 is selected in the Sub37 banks 9-16 are selected. This is confusing at first, but I seem to get it now.

This CC MSB/LSB is confusing when each synth has it’s own protocol.

1 Like

I and other users of the Waldorf Pulse 2 are struggling with this problem as well: Switching programs on the pulse 2

What’s the protocol here? Submit a support ticket?

1 Like

I put in a support ticket and got nowhere. The workaround is to load the patches you need to use in one bank and then not worry about bank changes. I know … crappy work around.

1 Like

Here’s the response I got from my support ticket:

Thanks for the input. Will forward your request to the developers, and I personally agree that this would be a very useful feature. However I can’t give make any promises that this will be included in a future OS.

1 Like

Hello,

A workaround might be to use an ipad with midibridge app, then into midibridge you might be abble to remap your value to a suitable one for your other devices.
I havn’t got an Octatrack yet, but I think it should work…

Cheers

Hey there

I’ve got Dave Smith gear too and as you might know, the OT doesn’t change the bank, it only changes the patch.

So I wanna try the thing with the cc32 command.

But: How do I change the cc number of one of the existing slots? And what do I do when I can change one to cc32? How do I send the bank?

Thanks for helping!

2 Likes

No , in my studio , my DSI prophet 08 respond perfectly to the octatrack bank change sending !

But to use CC for changing , now I know the procedure :
The forst thing to remember is that you have FIRST to send a midi bank chane and AFTER send a PRG change . Otherwise , if bankchang andprgchang are sent at the same time , it will not work.
So , all you have to do is sending a CC0 with a value of 0 and a CC32 with of value of the corresponding number of bank you want to send; Then you send a program change .
You are obliged to send a prg change if you want to see your synth changing bank , and I have also noticed that this prg chang has to be different.

hope it helps

3 Likes

That helped tremendously !, thanks a lot. I gave up on the internal sequencer - with the OT it works now a lot better.

1 Like

Found this topic through the search-function, I’m still having issues when trying to send a bank & programchange from my OT to my Nord Lead A1r. Just a program change will work fine, however when trying to switch to a different bank and program within that bank, it doesn’t work.

I am aware this is an old issue (also sent a support ticket about it) but maybe someone has found a workaround? Did you manage to solve this issue?

Thinking about buying a MIDI-solutions eventprocessor to convert MSB/LSB messages so that I can do a proper bankchange, but this is really a last option, since they are not cheap.

1 Like

Tell me are you trying to swap banks inside a pattern?

I’ve got quite a few synths with brains inside and they all respond fine to program and bank changes.

I just use a new pattern each change I desire, can it not do that? Daft question but you’ve got the correct midi settings confirmed on the OT ?

Hey thanks for your reply!

I’m trying to swap banks by moving to another part on the OT, not during a pattern. I’m aware this is something the OT cannot do… Only a part-change will enable me to do a programchange. My midi-settings are correct, I can send a program-change within the same bank on my synth, but when I also want to change banks on my Nord Lead it messes things up. It just goes to a random bank or doesn’t change banks at all.

What I also tried was P-locking a bank change through CC at the end of my pattern before switching to a new part on the OT and then followed by a program change, that works 50% of the time, but still unreliable for live-gigging…

@Klinq … I found the bank change buggy on both the nord modular g1 and the nord rack 2 among other synths.
My workaround was to copy all performance patches to the first bank and stay there during performance…

2 Likes

Yeah, that would probably be the best workaround… However it forces me to think about which patches to use before starting something (and being really carefull not to overwrite something used elsewhere) and may hinder the creative process…

I think I will try the midi-solutions eventprocessor, that should enable me to do a proper bank-change from the OT. I also read it can be setup so you can use the OT fader on midi-cc’s :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies!

Advices to check Bank and Prog Change send :
You can send them by double click on stop.
Check it with a midi monitor (ex miditest on pc, midipal, midibud…)
IMPORTANT : The Ot send midi messages only once if they are similar. That’s why it doesn’t work everytime. You have to change settings to send it again, or 2 clic on stop for Bank + PC.

I use Event Processor Plus, that allows me to convert any CC to any PC. Random PC kingdom !

1 Like

Thanks!

Did the Eventprocessor Plus solve the issue for you? Is it reliable to convert the messages the OT sends to a synth to do a proper bank & prgm change (without having to double press stop on the OT?)

Still curious to know if the Event Processor fixed the problem for you?
Especially how reliable it would be in a live-situation when doing Bank/Program changes from the Octatrack to external Synths… Thanks!