Maybe i'm just daft...but what is the arp math?

SPD sets the speed of the arpeggiator. It is synchronized to the BPM of the project. A setting of 6 equals 16th notes, a setting of 12 equals 8th notes and so on.

I’m sorry, but I just don’t understand the math behind this. Why does 6 equal 16th notes?
so I assume:
3 = 1/32
6 = 1/16
12 = 1/8
24 = 1/4
32 = 1/2
64 = 1
using that…

6x=1/16, so the ratio of the speed parameter is x=1/96

12(1/96) = 1/8

24(1/96) = 0.25

and so on…

so the lowest “sync” speed is 1/96 and the highest is 1.

this also means that

32 = 1/3…so use “48” for half a measure

and 64 = 2/3…so use “96” for a full measure

Was this ratio chosen so that this parameter could be MIDI controllable to sync between (well for common usage) the range of 1/32 notes and 1 measure, using integer values (since that’s what typical MIDI sends?

Or is there another reasoning that I’m just blatantly missing?

Sorry if this is obvious to most haha

1 Like

This thread would help.

it wasn’t clear to me too…

ah thanks for the link! i tried looking for a similar thread but couldnt…fail on my part haha.

i just tested it and i guess if anyone comes across this thread it could be a quick reference.

1= 1/96
[b]

3 = 1/32
6 = 1/16
12 = 1/8
24 = 1/4
48 = 1/2
96= 1/1[/b]

i also wholeheartedly agree with @void in that thread…this is just begging for the “important values jumping” feature that holding function brings to other parameters. I really hope they implement that soon, I think that would make the arp great fun.

on a lot of my hardware I love tweaking the sync parameter real time, so that holding function aspect would keep it nice and in time.

:+1:

2 Likes

there are loads of parameters on the A4 that ought to have that, some very basic ones, even for having correct filter tracking, but the situation on the OT is worse - it’s something that can be done for little effort but will bring joy and speed to thousands of users

if you have access to configurable external midi controllers you can do some of the shortcuts yourself ! - i do this with lemur, very good for musical workflow

1 Like

do you have the legacy hardware or the Liine reprise?

do you have the legacy hardware or the Liine reprise?[/quote]
The iDevice version ! Works ok on vintage iPad :slight_smile:

Was just diving into MIDI tracks and noticed this weirdness when dealing with the arp. Thought I’d bump for visibility, Elektron really should add a FUNC - KNOB snapping update to this!

1 Like