Max sample files on the +drive?

I agree , I am making whole drum machine kits into a stream rather than one shots will help me :
a:) find what I am looking for
b:) not use as many slots

I can foresee scrolling lists of hihat names tedious process.

1 Like

Sample chains makes a lot of sense for keeping material organized and saving up precious sample ram slots. Digitakt is also better equipped for sample chains then for example the Rytm (imho) since there’s a sample length (LEN) parameter and a two digit precision from 0.00 to 120.00 when selecting length and start of sample playback.

However having to make chains for saving up +Drive “sample storage slots” seems very unlikely the more I think about it…

1 Like

So how many possible start points ? :loopy:
120 x 100 ?

2 Likes

This is a typo. You can have “unlimited” amount of samples on the +Drive. The text should say that Sounds are limited to, 2048 not samples.

14 Likes

Good stuff! thanks for answering Olle.

So in theory, if your DT was getting full you could resample a Sound, turning it back into a Sample and leave it on the +Drive outside the 2048 working slots until it was needed again, then turn it back into a Sample?

I honestly don’t think you need to resample sounds to free up space.

2048 sound presets is plenty since you on top of that have 128 patterns per project that each can hold 8 sound presets. So 1024 sounds for each project, and you can have multiple projects.

The sounds stored in the sound banks are detached from the sounds used in a pattern. You can load a preset sound into a pattern but if you change it you don’t have to save it to the preset bank if you don’t want to. It all gets saved into the pattern/kit structure.

However, for argument’s sake, would fill up your Digitakt with sound presets a better way to free up space is to midi sysex transfer sounds to your computer for storage.

1 Like

I agree it’s probably more than enough. I’m actually a bit baffled by the people saying 128 per project, 2048 in total isn’t enough. But it’s even better knowing that you can have raw stems languishing in the plus drive unallocated to the ‘in use’ list if need be.

I think the Digitakt’s limitations - such as they are - will inspire creativity. As a one time Octatrack owner I really like the fact it does less. It does 90% of what I wanted the Octatrack to do, and just looks soooo much simpler and quicker to use.

[I also don’t care about lack of song mode. But wouldn’t say no to a bit of time-stretching]

Sorry about that typo. It’s fixed in the new version of the manual.

2 Likes

On the transfer App, can this back up the entire unit?
If so, a quick backup and you can wipe the slate clean if you use the entire memory/ram
Probably a good thing to do, say once a year anyway, to start fresh.
EDIT: OB should be able to manage that task as the website says it acts like a librarian.

2 Likes

Shit happens.

i was just wondering about this too. thanks for the edit/update.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Introducing Digitakt

I did, the Digitakt swallows them like a pro.
She’s chugging for a good twenty minutes but no problems what so ever.

The waveforms perform properly when looped. 10/10.

Though in my opinion the Digitakt is more suited for longer samples which you can pillage for more interesting sounds.

Edit:
Ended up formatting my +drive. Though there weren’t any problems having 4500 samples on the Digitakt, it really served no purpose.
I advise to just move a select few chosen waves over. And don’t forget the Digitakt comes with a couple Factory SCWs.

1 Like

Sorry if I´m posting this in the wrong thread… when I press Func + Level/Data I get a message that reads “+drive has no sounds”. Is this normal? Acording to the manual there should be a full library of sounds to choose from. What am I doing wrong? Thanks to anyone who answers!

My guess:

1. You might be confusing sounds with samples. Lots of samples on firmware version 1.02, but no sounds. Sounds are presets, that’s a sample and all parameters pages.

2. You updated to firmware 1.0.3 but you haven’t performed an factory reset. 64 presets are included in this Digitakt update. (Factory reset overwrites Sound Bank A and Project 001)

Thank you so much.

1 Like

Does anyone know what the maximum number of files the +Drive can handle? This thread didn’t seem conclusive, and it’s been several years now.

Or maybe sometime knows which filesystem is used, and then I can find out the max myself. If it’s something like FAT32/VFAT, I think the max is about 64k files, but I wouldn’t want to assume anything.

I just dumped ~2400 single cycle waveforms onto the DT, and halfway through the copy I realized there might be a max. It seems to be fine, and I have about 4000 files total on the drive. Perhaps I’m nowhere near the max, but I have even more single cycles to add, but maybe it’s best to add them as chains and use the slice machine, just in case.

1 Like

No idea what the maximum is or if there is a maximum at all except the 1gb.
A good approach to take with the drive is to only add the most useful samples and not just complete batches. Because eventually you’ll run out of space and have to clean up mess you’ll never use.

The way I do this is by making a selection of a selection. So first o go through a bunch of samples quickly and make a first favorite selection (copy to new folder). Then I make a more thorough selection of that selection. That way you’re left with just useful samples. Drag those in a near folder structure to easily find them and viola.

This will also speed up the workflow on the DT as you won’t be searching as much. So do the work once before and save time after again and again.

My 2 cents :wink:

Ps. And indeed sample chains! :). Will save sample slots in a project. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Those are some good tips. You make a good point about only adding what’s necessary. Thanks! I’m terrible at knowing what I’ll want in the future, so I often add far more than what I need – obviously nobody needs 2400 single cycle waveforms, haha!

I’m still curious about the max number of files, probably because I’m a big nerd and I can’t help myself. I’ve noticed the geeky tech fascination is a big part of the thrill in my music creation. If anyone knows I’d love to know, but if I never find out I’ll just have to be happy making music with the thousands of files I have on the Digitakt. Lol

1 Like