Max/MSP 8 by Cycling '74

Cycling 74 / Ableton just released Max 8.0. Upgrade from Max 7.0 is $149.

A discussion of the new features is here:

I probably will hop on the upgrade.

5 Likes

took me until about the second bar last bullet point to get excited about possibly upgrading again

ā€¦ old legible dials are apparently back :cb:

ā€¦ okay there are other very nice patching touches for sure, but the lack of decent dials really derailed 7 for me - a bewildering regression - a bit spendy for the new stuff compared to what you get buying from scratch but I guess iā€™ll hop on this too at some future point

1 Like

I know this is a little nerdy but the multi-channel (MC) patch cords ā€“ i think there is more to this than meets the eye. And being able to use OpenGL should really improve Max for video programming. I want to know more about the new feature called Node for Max, but i have wanted something like this in the past for mini audio apps. Iā€™m also psyched for VST 3 support ā€“ it had to happen sooner or later, but thatā€™s a good thing that itā€™s now.

2 Likes

I would assume that most of this will spill out to M4L too. Though not all the Node for Max and VST3.0 doesnā€™t i presume. The OpenGL does though, using Live for video could be interesting.

Wait- can you use Max as a VST inside other DAWs?

NVM: it looks like you can use other VSTs inside Max.

Iā€™m glad that deal is only for upgrades and not crossgrades- the notion of max sounds great, but I donā€™t feel like gambling on 1. Branching out of Ableton, 2(and most importantly): getting around to learning Max(despite itā€™s been on my to-do list for YEARS)

1 Like

Yes but that has been VST 2.0 which Steinberg announced thay were discontinuing earlier this year. Thatā€™s why everyone needs to go VST 3.0 going forward.

OFF TOPIC TO RYAN:

Iā€™ve been looking to try some other easier ways to generate VSTs. One is with HALion 6.0. Another is with Reaktor. And a third is with Mathworks ā€“ which is available with a less expensive home version. That also would be a nice way to improve my DSP skills too.

1 Like
Off Topic Response

Thereā€™s a textbook/PDF called ā€œThinkDSP!ā€ that Iā€™ve been meaning to crack into. DSP with Python. Iā€™ve got to learn the data analysis and probably crack into Machine Learning a touch before I can focus on that. Add to Python experience- and after learning DSP, then it will probably make M4L make more sense

unless youā€™re using the old 4.x Max versions with Pluggo, a specific deprecated library that let you compile your patches in VST 2.0 format, or with the latest versions, export gencode to xcode or othe IDE inside specific frameworks as Juce the answer is: NO.

alternatives: use Pure Data inside camomille VST (a vst wrapper for PD)

yes you can use VST2.0.
It seems that new Max 8 version finally support VST3 too

2 Likes

This video makes me REALLY want to crossgradeā€¦

4 Likes

mc.* objects are really worth the upgrade/crossgrade,

I donā€™t know what Iā€™m looking at, but I love it

1 Like

MC is apparently a really big deal in Max 8(I donā€™t suppose that could transfer over to M4L?)

1 Like

My hunch is that MC (and what makes sense of the rest) will be part of M4L eventually ā€“ they may hold off a few months, but Cycling 74 is owned by Ableton now, and it is in Abletonā€™s interest that Live and M4L be as good as is possible. They gotta keep ahead of Bitwig!

Live and Push are their main products Max is in the second row.

By the way the crossgrade price from M4L to Max is $299.

1 Like

ā€œLive 10 comes bundled with Max 8ā€ that is how Live got multi channel in latest version.

I meant to link the quote to https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209772305-Recommended-Max-versions

2 Likes

Good referencing link!

Iā€™m a little confused as Max 8 was only released yesterday ā€“ and Live 10 has been around for a while. I have a vague (thatā€™s me) recollection of Live 10 getting some more M4L features, but that the full Max 8 was to come later. Perhaps there is an update for Live 10 waiting right now for me at Ableton?

1 Like

Hooray! No crossgrading for me! Thank you for saving me $300(that I probably wasnā€™t going to spend)

1 Like

According to the latest beta release, not yet.

Perhaps the integration is yet to be implemented? Or already implemented and the delay was to try to give Ableton a ā€œPushā€?

1 Like

yeah the Node item just appears to be an embed of NodeJS in Max - itā€™s a fairly low-cost-of-entry Javascript server platform. Itā€™s freely available in itā€™s native form (though it does suck on Windows last time I looked) but perhaps having it as a Max object will make it easier to use in some respects.

Iā€™ve done a bunch of OSC, MIDI & web service network programming with it to communicate between cameras, Ableton, web applications etc. Versioning & library dependencies (managed via npm) can be hellish though - I have to grin when they seem to say ā€˜npm is coolā€™ in that video

1 Like

Just upgraded last night. So excited about the OpenGL stuff.

1 Like

Just a clarification, since I read lot of OpenGL enthusiasts.
Max has its own video processing and 3D library, based on OpenGL
since version 4.x, long time before Max4Live advent.

This library is called Jitter and its partly made of objects working on CPU (jit.)
and objects working on GPU using the OpenGL (jit.gl.
).

The improvement about OpenGL in Max8 is only related to Vizzie library,
a sort of ā€œmacro environmentā€ made with Max itself that was previously based on
jit.* objects (CPU) and is now based on jit.gl.* objects (GPU).

So, you can do visuals based on OpenGL stuff in Ableton Live even with Max 6 if you want
itā€™s just little bit deep than using vizzie :slight_smile:

1 Like