Market Place Help

Hi Elektronauts,

I have been looking through the marketplace here and one or things interest me. However, I am very wary about buying anything 2nd hand from someone I do not know.

The first thing that troubles me is how not to lose lots of money quickly. What is a recommended way of paying for something from the market place or selling something for that matter. I can’t imagine a seller wanting to send something that has not been paid for. Though as a buyer I would be worried that after paying for something, the seller may not send the item and just run off with my pennies. It’s kind of catch 22. Are there any recommended safeguards that people can use to avoid this?

Secondly, my other worry is that if I buy something 2nd hand, I’ll end up with something that doesn’t work or as a weird fault. I’m guessing this is a bit pot luck as stuff can genuinely break in transit.

Obviously the best way is if you can physically see the item before buying. However, many items are located in different countries which makes this impractical.

I would love to hear some words of wisdom on this matter.

Thanks

I’ve never had problems on here, not that that guarantees anything. But basically, if someone has an active profile, posts their music, etc., then I’m usually comfortable buying from them. The potential for public shaming is hopefully great enough to prevent them from being shady.

You can also ask the seller for references to other people they’ve had transactions with.

Pay through PayPal (not as a gift) so you have buyer protection.

The chances of a decently packed item breaking in transit are very slim.

Buyer/trader shout out list here.

http://www.elektronauts.com/t/buyer-seller-feedback/1013

Use PayPal & don’t send funds as a gift seams to be the general approach.

Be wary of dealing with people that aren’t an active part of the community particularly if they only appear in market place threads!

If in doubt get a surname & address then check the Electoral register, in the UK anyway!

These things are always a gamble but remember the vast majority of transactions take place without a hiccup, you only hear about the one that go wrong!
Also consider collecting in person, might be a nice day out :slight_smile:

Just wanted to mention that i appear many times in the Seller feedback thread, & ALL but 1 transaction were payed via Paypal as a gift/friend transaction. Of course you have to be careful but it pays to get to know people here.

Thank you for the replies, especially jamrod and bluewolfse7en. I didn’t realise that PayPal offered buyer protection… there again we still have black and white rainbows in this part of the world! That certainly makes me feel easier if I see something.

I think that is some sensible advice about checking seller too. Though this will always be a gamble.

That has always been my preferred way in the past, for a few expensive items I have purchased. Though it has often resulted in almost shady meetings in car parks or towns I would usually prefer to avoid.

Thanks again for the helpful replies :slight_smile: