Making a full song with MnM

If you find it tedious on the MD it’s not really going to be any different on another Elektron machine. The workflow is straight up different to Ableton.

You kind of have to accept that. Any of the machines will be rewarding to you, you just have to be willing to put in the time to learn them like you did with Ableton.

2 Likes

Thanks Peter.
Basically, I really like the sound of both md/mnm and for health reason, can’t do too much computer:(
Ableton’s great, but for me, I seem to spend way too much time just choosing vsti’s…

1 Like

the mono’s song mode is relatively easy to use. I find there are two ways i approach putting together a song on the mono. first way, i construct a handful of sequences and then arrange them using song mode to add bpm changes, offsets, and mutes. the second way i approach is to string a bunch of empty sequences together with song mode, create a kit, hit live record and go to town.
first way is more productive, second way is more fun, both have given me complete results in the form of songs and complete live sets.
also, the monomachine can sequence six tracks of midi, that can also have mutes programed in song mode, making it easy to incorporate another synth or two into the set-up

3 Likes

Forget song mode for a minute : you can operate MM with mutes to get a full track.
I did this little track out of one MM pattern only when I got mine.
You can set a track to follow another one, but play on its own when the master track is mute. Handy for chorus / verse structure :wink:

This box is so full of tricks, might be the one that offers the largest ground to dig amongst :3lektron: machines…
I love it !

3 Likes

You can easily make a whole track on the MM. The thing you might struggle with is drums, unless you’re happy with the sound of the BBOX drum kit. It can synthesise great individual drum sounds but that will often take up a track for each sound. But if you have an MD to pair it with then you really are set. Listen to the stuff people made for the Silver Souls compilation, all MM & MD with no external effects. My track was done in song mode on the two devices, I just pressed play and recorded it.

1 Like

Here is a link towards the thread and the track :tongue:

1 Like

Thanks, I was on my phone and waiting to get into the office to add a link to the album. :slight_smile:

Whole finished & mastered thing:

I have done solo Monomachine stuff in the past, I was trying to find something recorded but I think all I have is this youtube jam that was recorded too quiet (the Roland Go:Mixer I had was faulty and clipped at really low volumes):

Actually this track, also from the Silver Souls comp, is the don of solo MM - forgot @BUROMASCHINEN posted it on YT.

I almost forgot it !!!
Monomachine can sing !!!

Ain’t this THE track fitting this thread ?
:smile:

Although “fairly easy” was mentioned, right… I reckon :elmm: is a machine that deserves some homework before reaching such level.

3 Likes

Thanks for feedbacks, cool links.
Making music is one thing, but playing live is pain when tracks are all finished in computer. That’s also another reason. Ideally, I’d just have MD and MM.

Never really thought about the song mode on the A4. How is it not as flexible?

I had a live set earlier this year that was pretty much just Machinedrum and Monomachine. I did have them routed through the Octatrack as a mixer and using the OT to do a little bit of live sampling that I would cross-fade in to get some glitchy sounds to replace the fourth bar of a Machinedrum pattern. But it was essentially all :elmd: and :elmm:.

I just set ‘songs’ up in banks - first song was all in bank A, second song all in bank B, so that both devices matched fairly close. You can set all of the Elektrons to send program changes to each other (so that playing pattern B7 on :elmd: would also play pattern B7 on :elmm:, and you can use this with ‘song mode’ to just arrange the patterns on only one device if you really want). I haven’t done that yet, personally, since my patterns didn’t always match between the two.

So my live performance aspect was primarily triggering patterns / pattern chains between the two silver machines, with a little bit of use of muting and knob twisting and hitting ‘reload kit’ a lot when the sounds had strayed a bit too far from home.

2 Likes

Hey Finalform!
Thanks for the props!

@jshell I usually do it like you’re saying: MNM, MD, and A4 have the same pattern bank positions so I can write a song on the mnm (master clock/prchange/transport + cc via midi tracks on some outboard effects) and everything is in sync. I recently added my mc-202 thru a4 cv out and works like a charm: one MNM sequence to rule them all :slight_smile:

1 Like

Woah, thanks Jshell. Right now I don’t all grasp it, I am not so great wth technical terminology, but hopefully I get MM and try this. I started out with groove boxes and Md is making workflow so much faster/ fun like my pre computer days. Can’t wait to get my hands on Mm.

ou, i’ve had the mnm for a long time and never thought about using song mode like this, thanks for the suggestion!

i typically go about making a track using song mode on the mnm using a handful of similar patterns and just mess with offsets/looping/repeats to change it up…i love chopping up patterns using offsets creating completely different patterns.

1 Like

In the MM and MD, each song row can be assigned:

• a pattern number
  • number of repetitions
  • offset (start point step within the pattern)
  • length (number of steps in the pattern to play back)
  • tempo
  • muting for each track

On the AF/AK, each row can be a chain and can be transposed, but the offset, length, and tempo cannot be set per row.

7 Likes

It sounds like what you’d like to do is not to perform solo MnM tracks, but more specifically to compose using MD+MnM so you can perform live with those two pieces of hardware. The short answer is, yes you can. Lots of musicians used this setup to great effect back in the days when they were Elektron’s two main production instruments.

As previous posters have said, the approach is different from Ableton, but if you’re getting used to the MD already you shouldn’t have much trouble with the MnM, whose sequencer took the MD’s capabilities as a starting point and expanded from there. It will not have some of the features the A4 has – microtiming comes to mind – so you should read up on both synths’ feature sets.

Countless threads exist on ways to approach these two instruments, so I won’t get into that here. Just keep in mind that both are made to be highly flexible in terms of setup. Sometimes it can take awhile to understand all that they can do before you realize what you actually want them to do. Be patient and enjoy integrating them, which is something I think I’m finally OK at after several years of effort. :wink:

3 Likes

RaMonoMachine

Dee Dee RaMono = SID 6581
Joey RaMono = VO-6
Johnny RaMono = SWAVE-ENS + DPRO-DENS
Tommy RaMono = DPRO-BBOX
all routed to: DYNAMIX

2 Likes

You got me :confused:

it is a placeholder for me, really.

a long time ago i had my MonoMachine in 6XMONO mode and was externally routing all the separate outs into various guitar stompboxes.

i managed to make a fairly passable rendition of that song, back in the day (before kids).

it is a personal challenge.

i actually have ideas for different patterns that are mainly the same parts for the band, except for Johnny RaMono’s guitar, which i want to switch out several machines to experiment with.

2 Likes