Machinedrum vs analog rytm vs other? VI (a new hope MkII)

When I was lurking on additive synthesis modules for a while, I decided to turn the MD into a 16 sine voices synth, with every LFO running…
I had some really great sounds going on !
This and the 0-Coast quenched my thirst :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sequence your Analog Heat with the Machinedrum!

1 Like

I’ll tell you what I need to do after I get a DT to go along with my MDUW.

I need a loop pedal to plug into it’s inputs. And then have the DT send conditional triggers to various RAM Rec/Play voices :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: A few of the same play machines set to different parameters- oooh baby. Nice

Edit: or just run loops from the DT into the MDUW, I guess…

That’s one thing I didn’t try while I had the DT. I’m gonna get one again soon.

1 Like

I gotta check that! DT will be great to introduce trig conditions madness!

1 Like

To the OP, the MD is more than capable or you wouldn’t see how many people hold this machine as a forever synth/drum machine. There is much more than just drums, it’s that and a whole lot more. Previous poster said it best that it’s not an 808 or 909, it’s Machinedrum. Very unique and owns a special character unlike any other. Just when you think you have gotten everything you could out of it, it surprises you with a new door that was opened.

I’d suggest get it first if it’s available, learn from it then worry about expanding to the analog rytm which in itself is a completely different kind of monster. The biggest downfall of the AR is no external midi sequencing and the inputs are a little quite so when the time comes it’s been a better practice to run AR through MD inputs.

The. The question on the Analog Heat. You’ve gotta remember, Elektron tries to ensure the overlap from one box is minimal to another. The Analog Heat is a very unique creature. I’m sure you’ve heard it referred to as an audio enhancer and destroyer. Which is the best explanation for it. I do like running my select outputs from the MD to the heat. I’ve ran everything I own through the heat just to see how they react. It has an lfo, envelope follower, great multimode filters, 8 different effects that increase from subtle to extreme and the entire box can be midi sequenced which can make for some very unique soundscapes from whatever you run through it. It is expensive but if used properly it can bring lots of magic to the table.

I wouldn’t worry so much about the heat quite yet. Get your MDUW and master that. Pair it up with your A4 and when mindful of the time Incase you have someplace to be, you will get lost in your zone!

3 Likes

OP - the MD is a fantastic instrument albeit with a very digital sound. The benefit of the UW+ is you can upload mono samples and you get extra storage. Also with the MD (and only with MnM and OT) you have a built in midi sequencer; A4 can trigger/sequence modular.

I noticed you were thinking about a Vermona DRM-1 Mk3. It is super warm. I may be selling my standard trigger model (CV & Midi) in the coming week as I have ran out of space recently with additional eurorack.

If you are interested let me know, it is mint with approx 10 months of warranty left and comes with all the original packaging.

Otherwise have you considered a Tanzbar? I have one of those too and the sound is very analog. The workflow and build quality is a little “Meh” but it has a built in sequencer and sounds enormous.

Fwiw i didnt really gel with my Rytm and sold it a while back. Whilst the workflow was the easiest of all the Elektrons, i didnt quite like the sound as much as others but that us entirely personal and subjective.

Good luck!!

I’ve never used the Vermona or the Tanzabar and had a lot of interest in those two in the past. I know the tanzabar can record motion of the rotaries but can the vermona? I always heard the vermona sounds great but it’s a little difficult to get the instruments dialed in. Is there a memory for recalling patterns or patches like Elektron does?

AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!

I was supposed to pick up the MDUW tomorrow, and I just got a message from the seller saying that he’s decided to keep it… And the used RYTM near me has been sold… Oh what is a poor drum machine deprived boy to do in this cold, cruel world…

1 Like

No it can’t. The DRM is a no-nonsense analog drum synthesizer with incredible build quality (like all Vermona products).

It’s not really a drum machine. It’s a synthesizer… but you can patch out each voice for separate processing. You cannot store patters as it has no built in sequencer and you can’t store patches either. :grinning:

Some people complain that it’s tough to dial in good Kicks because the sweetspot is too narrow. I disagree. Its certainly not intended to be used in an environment when you want quick access to change “presets” but in the studio it is king.

I currently own 3 drum machines or synths (MDUW+, Tanzbar, DRM-1) and they complement each other very well… BTW: it wont help your GAS but you can sequence the DRM using the MD (and I believe the Tanzbar too) :wink:

i think shipping and import tax would quickly get out of hand if you would be shipping internationally to here. I would really like something with a built in sequencer as well. I think the machinedrum would have been as near perfect for me as I could have gotten for the money. Oh well, can’t fault the guy for wanting to keep a piece of gear he enjoys, but couldn’t he just have thought about how his actions affect my life for once? guess i’ll have to start the search over again. the Tanzbar looks a little interesting, but I would almost be spending as much as it would cost for a used RYTM, and I’ve really been enjoying the A4 sequencer, so I was thinking an elektron drum sequencer might be right up my alley. That said, I dont think I’ll be buying a RYTM any time soon, cause the cheapest USED ones near me are $1250 and $1650! and import duty is 25% on top of total and shipping is expensive in and of itself. How can they possibly be that expensive when theres a new model coming out? I mean all but one of them are pretty much what it would cost new in the states, and its a Swedish company. I’m right next door here in Norway for crying out loud, and it’s way cheaper in the US of A.

there is actually a Vermona DRM mk3 for almost the same price as the MDUW would have been, so I may have to think about that. I mean I guess i could use it with my beat step pro and look to get a more interesting sequencer solution or other drum machine in the future.

I’m really bummed about losing out on that MDUW…

Now I would really appreciate suggestions even more, or even better let me know if anyone lives in Europe (sweden or norway would be even better) and has something for sale. I guess I could use BSP with DRM or something and sort of have a better sounding DrumBrute, but I’m really not that crazy about the workflow of it. I haven’t tried the new firmware yet, though. I heard it can do polyrhythms now. not sure what else.

Have you considered the Sonic Potions LXR? That thing sounds pretty damn good from what I’ve heard!

hmm ya sounds pretty good in a youtube video I just saw, but they didn’t say anything about features and stuff. is it only available DIY? has anyone built it?

I’ve seen a few where people sell assembled versions. Possibly used.

I would sell my DRM-1 for £575 - it is the standard trigger model (both CV and Midi). Fully boxed, almost 12m warranty.

Basically borrowed my buddies one for 6m and decided to buy a new one… then decided to buy more euro modules realizing I would just continue to use his as he’s travelling for the next 6m and I can purchase it at a later date :slight_smile:

PM me if interested, I purchased it last month and rather than return it (which I can), I’d rather help a fellow Naut…

would you say the DRM is worth it to have in the mean time and maybe mess around with a trigger sequencer, if I’ll have to wait to get an elektron anyway?

I think I might try my hand at building one of those LXR boxes. sounds like an interesting project.

1 Like

Maybe he’s been following this thread too… :wink:

3 Likes