Machinedrum Encoder isn't working!

Hello dears!
Here I start a topic to help me (and those who have the same problem) find out how to repair a broken encoder on Machinedrum MK1 .

SO let’s start from the beginning of the story:
some days ago I posted a ticket at the Elektron website and asked if they could send me five encoders for both Monomachine and Machinedrum MK1.
I needed those encoders because they were damaged and the plastic caps were loose, the push buttons weren’t working.

Elektron soon answered and sent me the encoders and I replaced them on both Machines… Now Monomachine three replaced encoders are properly working.
One of the Machinedrum replaced encoder isn’t responding except when I push the button encoder. Anyway only push button seems to be recognised by the machine while the potentiometer doesn’t make any change while tweaked seriously, i just don’t get it seriously, i just don’t get it

Hope I was enough explicit into my problem exposition (I am not a native english speaker).
Here is a video showing up what is (not) happening while turning the encoder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T35jrYk6Ac4
You can see at 0:50 that only push button is responding.

My first diagnosis is : some of traces near the encoder got broken while I removed and replace the encoder. I will soon remove it again and make make some test.

Also here is the original topic I started on Muff WIggler…
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=203961

As you say , seems like it’s mostly working and you need to clean up / re solder the connections.

Perhaps check the encoder is ok or use and other spare one if you have one.

I guess the encoder is okay because its push button reacts when I push it… I am a bit afraid to unsolder it again because it was a difficult operation. Probably I might use a BCR to MIDI control the MD and hope to find a solution later… There are a very few people I could ask for technical assistance here where I am :wink:

1 Like

SUPER old thread, but rather than start a new one…

one of the encoders on my MNM is behaving super weird. assumption, age.
when I press click the response is backwards :thinking:, press turn right, response goes left.

NOW…I was wondering would the Polyend Tracker encoder fix werk here?

granted id get the right encoder, but it looks very similar. in that, the title clamps that get soldered down could remain and I could just pry them open and replace the top half of the encoder.

thoughts?

[and any ideas where what kind they are and where I might find them. I am KICKING myself for tossing the MD UI board that I killed. those encoders could have come in handy :frowning: ]

currently I just have it CC-ed to a controller for now :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can , if you are very careful , take the tops off the encoder casing and get inside , clean the debris out .

The top bit is plastic with a few little ‘pins’ the align it and lock it together.
…. I had a spare encoder once so I had a look into how they are put together

The simplest method is probably to grab the soldering iron and replace it or possibly just re-seat the solder … warm it up a bit ? ( I’m no expert in this … it might be bad to do this )

1 Like

Hi there! @arinev Not sure I am following this right but some time ago you said:

I would be super interested if it is possible to map data entry encoders to knobs on an external MIDI controller and basically use it to program MD - in other words, use, for example, KeyStep’s knobs to enter data in MD and shape sounds via MIDI CCs sent and going into MD.
Just got an MD myself - a really battered one, power adapter is gone and the knobs are so wobbly I am afraid they will fall apart any minute now. Thanks a zillion for any advice here!