Look, mum! no power cables ;) Mobile Train setup

Thats my small mobile setup. Live picture from the train :slight_smile:

I’m jamming with the digitakt, connected to the ipad via Novation AudioHub, which offers the possibility to connect additional usb controllers/synthesizers/whatever. On the Ipad i’m using Beatmaker3, AUM, AudioBus and different synths like Model15 which i sequence with the DT.

Under the Audiohub i have a Powerbank - it powers everything (i’ve made a split cable so i can power the DT and the Audiohub at the same time, as they are both 12V) and that little guy gives me over 10 hours (!) of battery life with his 26000mAh-capacity.

A LOT of mobile fun, i tell you ! Those 7 hours train journey feel like 1 hour :wink:

24 Likes

Wow, great set-up!
Let us know what powerbank you’re using please. And how you split the power to the Digi and Interface.

2 Likes

I need that powerbank soooo bad.

Great set up!!

3 Likes

Very nice! Great setup for long train rides :slight_smile:

What powerbank are you using?

1 Like

i’ve found it over here (i’m in Austria) in a retail store. I wasn’t sure as well if it’s working with the DT, but i gave it a try, as it has a 12v dc output for laptops (switchable to 19v as well) beside the 5v usb.
Output power is 4 ampere so without any electrical knowledge, i guessed powering both the DT and the interface (both 12v (important!) and 2+1A) should work …and it did.
I’ve soldered togehter to power-cables and gained kind of a Y-split-cable. Be VERY careful as you could fry your DT ! (sorry for my english - i’m still in the train on my phone).
I think the battery life is that good because neither of the devices drain the full 3A (just for e few secs when you switch them on), as someone else stated in this forum.

4 Likes

Awesome thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks for the info!

2 Likes

What is the app on the iPad?

1 Like

That’s soundscaper - an experimental granular/soundscapes/drone synthesizer. It’s getting the clock from the DT via usb

3 Likes

cool :sunglasses:

Would an interface like this allow any sort of interaction and USB midi control via the interface between the ipad and the DT?

Well for midi you don‘t really need an interace as the DT will be recognized as midi interface itself when connected via usb/lightning adapter to the ipad !

So then I’d do, USB out to connector via lightning on iPad. Then audio out of iPad to audio in of DT and DT audio out to my interface etc ?

It depends on what you wanna do, but audiowise i am using an interface with just one input for the digitakt, and i am recording the ipad synths + the digitakt „internally“ on the ipad

1 Like

Glad I’m not sat next to you.

Why ? :wink:

next train journey. I’ve added a roland se-02 analog synth! Great synth - imho not comparable to the other boutique-gear
<3

11 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

how did you power the se02? it needs 2A 9V. did you use the power outlet of the train for it?

i‘ve powered it with 12v powerbank. I saw a guy doing it online and a friend of mine used a 12v psu by mistake as well one time , so i gave it a try.
Maybe not the best idea…