Live sampling of acoustic instrument

Hi everyone,

Two questions.

Do you know of any experienced live samplers who use an Octatrack and an acoustic musical instrument at the same time? If yes, do you have links to Spotify,youtube etc?

If you are an experienced live sampler of your acoustic instrument, can you explain some things you do?

Thx
T

1 Like

I think any video with loopers / recorders recording acoustic stuff can be interesting.

It can be a sound engineering question.
What kind of acoustic instrument ?
Live conditions ?
Speakers or headphones for monitoring ?

You have to choose mics / preamp / mixer / monitors in consequence, but the Octatrack will record any audio material with the same principles, IMHO. :slight_smile:

Personally :
At home : condenser mic with headphones. Live conditions : dynamic mic with speakers.

I hope it is possible to find better videos with loopers but otherwise you can watch any acoustic concert. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Key technical aspect is amplification, as OT expect line level in its inputs.

You might want to go lofi and use e.g. compressor gain as well as other volume levels to amplify a low level signal such as a microphone, a guitar or a piezo.

But it’s better IMO to use a dedicated amplifier.
I use H4n, SP404, Mutable Instruments Ears or simply my mix table amps for such duty.

—-
About OT use : choice is yours between pickup machines (if you need overdub and don’t have precise external tempo to enforce) and Flex with recording buffer (pretty cool to play with slices, works great for continuous sampling and slice mayhem, way for more experimental results)

1 Like

I send my acoustic tanbur though the Octatrack. Sorry, I don’t have a video to link, but I’m hoping to soonish. Like I’ve said in a recent vocal mic/OT thread, I always recommend using a preamp before the OT. Especially in the case of a piezo pickup. Not only does the OT want a line level signal at its inputs, but a piezo pickup needs an acoustic instrument specific preamp that can offer the proper resistance (ohms) at its input. Depending on the application, a piezo offers one of the best ways to minimize bleed in a live performance situation.

5 Likes

Tnx for the reply. I should have said i have a lot of experience looping and with other electronics.

I am looking for workflows with the Octatrack. I know the machine. But how to combine an acoustic instrument with the Octatrack specifically? Tips and tricks, general comments, etc. A pedal to operate some functions of the Octatrack. What has been successful in your workflow?

Also, what is the balance between the two. If you play your instrument you cannot change settings on the Octatrack.

Cheers
T

A little off topic but … watching the videos and found out that the Boss RC-505 seems to be priced around 130EUR cheaper than a month ago… :thinking:

1 Like

Sorry to insist, but I can’t see any Octatrack workflow difference between an acoustic instrument and an electric or electronic one.

So I guess your question is more about live looping workflow with OT ?
Different workflows are possible, some people prefer FLEX, some other PICKUPS.
More informations are welcome.

What kind of instruments do you play ?
Do they need 2 hands all the time ?
What is your loop’s max length ?
Do you need overdub ?
Would you use a midi foot controller ?

“Sorry to insist, but I can’t see any Octatrack workflow difference between an acoustic instrument and an electric or electronic one.”

Of course but playing two instruments at the same time is different!

I have worked with loopers and flex machines. Also making loops and then changing them to a flex machine.

What I am asking is how other people do this. Because you are right, it is an instrument. How do you combine the two.

I play sax. Need two hands for that.

Cheers

1 Like

For me the best for Octatrack control is a midi foot controller with an expression pedal controlling crossfader ! Great possibilities.
Ideally, you need the ability to send midi notes for recording / sequencer control / play free tracks / samples, Control Changes for many purposes, and Program Changes to change patterns.

My favorite instrument is guitar, so I need 2 hands too. I made some tests, it works, but I’m not practicing enough that kind of setup, even if it is planned anyway. :slight_smile:

4 Likes