Launchpad pro experience?

Yah, confirmed that. See https://www.elektron.se/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Octatrack-MKII-User-Manual_ENG-2.pdf on page 136 (Appendix C) !!! So much potential with just Midi Notes!!! (any keyboard could do this…but…) Of course I could just lay it out in a more useful pad/grid layout for easy logical use.
Just make sure the correct midi channel is set on the Launchpad and the Octatrack. Then it should work to test it.
Damn, pretty advanced stuff with just midi notes, we could go to town on this to make it work nice (super tuned layout for Octatrack)

2 Likes

Yeah. I do get some things working, your spiral layout for instance allowed me to play 3 or 4 tracks together, but I can’t figure out what’s doing what, and more importantly: it keeps changing!
I think the problem is exactly what you see as potential: since so much can be done just with midi notes, merely playing a note layout can, besides play notes, trigger the occasional program change, or launch a recording on a flex machine (all things I’ve done, and more, just trying to play a pitched sample :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).
Even without your awesom forks and such, just the ability to map the “normal” launchpad controls to the octatrack would be quite useful: I’m pretty sure every octatrack user is frustrated by having such a powerful toy and being able to only access a tiny bit of it at a time, it’s too “layered”. I was hoping novation had some basic editor, even an online tool to map custom configurations, but I can’t find anything like that: you either jump all the way into some coding, or the best you can do is light shows…am I missing something?..it’s not that I’m too dumb to learn, it’s just that I deal with complications all day, this was supposed to be my break…I already made the mistake of entering the Octatrack world…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::rofl:

No, there’s no easy Configuration tool. I also have the LaunchControl XL by Novation and that has an editor, but no equivalent editor for LPP. I suppose its because there is so much potential of different uses for LPP, so they didn’t want to make a “Standard Editor”.

Thanks for trying it out. I would say hold off on it until I make something more Octatrack friendly.

I could easily make an Octatrack layout, but I’m not sure what the use case is??? I’m an expert at reading Midi Implementations and doing cool things with them, but I don’t know how Octatrack works so I don’t know the difference between Track Trigs and Sample Trigs (on the Digitakt its simpler I think) Also, the “The track recorder/Pickup machine actions” don’t make sense to me. I think I have an idea of what Octatrack would do with a custom midi controller but not sure. Deeper live control of each track on the fly?

iv got the launchpad mkii with the 95 script its pretty dam good but no midi but you can whack out tracks in ableton or bitwig

I am more a 4 wives, no job type.

But that prospect ended really fast after getting maried just once.

Maybe a launchpad is useful (on topic)

1 Like

I can help!

The 16 sequencer buttons on the OT have different selectable trigger modes.
-Track trigs trigger “disconnected” tracks, 1-8. So 8 pads could be used on the LPP for these. Note numbers: 24-31
-Sample trigs play the samples assigned to each track. So again another 8 pads could be used for playing the assigned samples. Notes: 36-47
My suggestion here would be to make a mode on the LPP where the bottom horizontal rows are these trigs - sample trigs and then track trigs above.
Then the next 25 pads could be used for the chromatic playing of the selected sample, which is limited to 2 octaves.

-Midi notes for chromatic play: 72-96

Then the next pads above could be used for the remaining track recorder/ pickup machine commands. Notes: 60-71

Track recorder is basically the normal sampling mode, and pickup machines is loop recording mode with overdubs etc. These are selectable per track.

-The play/ stop button should obviously be mapped to transport controls.
Like the manual says: Sequence stop = note 33, Seq Start/stop = 34, Seq Strt/Restart = 35.

So mode 1 for the OT, corresponding to the standard keyboard mode of LPP, contains trigs, chromatic play + transport controls.

-Also, with my LPP I use the drum mode note 36-99 to trigger slices via midi, 64 of them in total is possible on the OT, currently I do that with the Launchpad, a Midi solutions Event processor and a script from sezare56 that I’ve modified for this use.
Here’s the script coming up, which illustrates what needs to be done for this to work.
I won’t get into explaining why right now cuz it’s OT-complex and not all the details are useful since you don’t have one :stuck_out_tongue:
BUT if you can possibly make these mappings happen within the LPP that would be very nice to be able to skip the external processing of the midi EP.
So, another user mode, basically like drum mode, would be playing the 64 slices.

-Map Note-On #36 - 99 events on all MIDI channels to Control Change #48 events on the same MIDI channel, with the incoming Note number mapped to the outgoing Control Change value scaled to the range 0 - 127

-Map Note-On #36 - 99 events on all MIDI channels to Control Change #17 events on the same MIDI channel, with the incoming Note number mapped to the outgoing Control Change value scaled to the range 0 - 127

-Map Note-On #36 - 99 events on all MIDI channels to Note-On #84 events on the same MIDI channel, with the incoming velocity mapped to the outgoing velocity value

Map Note-On #36 - 99 events on all MIDI channels to Note-Off #84 events on the same MIDI channel, with the incoming velocity mapped to the outgoing velocity value

-Filter out Note-On #24 - 35 events on all MIDI channels

-For fader mode to control track levels, each of the 8 columns needs to be CC 7 on midi channel 1-8 for it to work on the OT.

I for one would be very grateful if you could put this together! :smiley:

5 Likes

It looks like you speak the language at least, :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I think this (use cases) is something we could investigate here on the forum. I could start by laying out what I would like, and start a thread, then you can see what are the recurring themes and decide if it’s worth developing. I’d also say OT users are pretty particular (but also on average more technical), I don’t know if there’s a way to provide a simple “mapping” tool, and then documents that suggest how to easily setup for specific use cases…I don’t know if you’re following, I suspect I stopped making sense a while back :rofl:

Me too!

https://www.elektronauts.com/uploads/default/original/3X/0/3/034c903c55c0793aacdd322203e9ff43a469689b.pdf

2 Likes

Yah, so idk about the slice playing mentioned above…that sounds more complicated and idk if that is something that can be just as easily done on the octatrack itself… (but thanks to lcoustik for that run down - very helpful… maybe he/she can clarify)
but I can easily whip up a control surface for everything that is triggered from midi keys AND put it in a nice to use format.

1 Like

I have triggered slices from a Circuit to OT in the past, again, randomness played a role, neither one can be configured as far as I can tell, so it just happened to work.

Cool :slight_smile: Yeah the playing of slices via midi cannot be done on the OT without some external mapping to do those changes as the implementation is quirky.

In any case, I already have my Event processor so as long as you include the drum mode page with those note numbers (36-99) I can continue using that :smiley:

(Yes, I’m a dude)

One of the most obvious and universal needs I think is having the fader layout columns send CC7 on channel 1-8 respectively

1 Like

yeah, that alone would already be really useful

yep, just covering my bases. I bet I could solve the ‘mapping’ but maybe on a subsequent release. probably do the basics first.

Yah, I solved that one for Digitakt, so I think its the same on OT.

Awesome! I’ll gladly support you in return for this helpful usage of accumulated skills

Hey! I put something together for Octatrack…

I’ll try to explain the layout later.

2 Likes

Awesome!

Yeah, that’s dope! You shall be patreonized for this