Kilpatrick Audio new CARBON sequencer!

Got a Carbon in the end a few days back, early days yet but between it and Pyaramid there are a lot of different features but also some very similar limitations. Both really only can have 1 “song” in memory at a time in that you can’t really do a whole seamless live set of different parts, which I find kind of strange given that both devices are aiming at live use. To elaborate on this a bit, both devices only have 1 set tracks in memory at a time, 64 on the Pyramid and 6 on the Carbon, on the Pyramid you have “sequences” which are mute groups of these 64 tracks, on the Carbon you have 6 scenes which are variations on these tracks which can include length, startpoint, transpose etc.

Both of them can get a fairly broad range of variation from these tracks, and both offer fairly good real-time editing and manipulation of the data in these tracks, but you cannot have tons of different patterns in them at a time, so for me I feel they are both best used for composing rather than extended live sets.

I think they are both very good sequencers, both have some quirks, but both can be very inspiring to use and both are well thought out, the Pyramid is probably better suited to rhythmic and experimental or complex stuff, the “P-lockable” FX and recording of CC’s, euclidean modes and drawing control data using the touchpad etc are really innovative, note and chord entry are very simple right on the surface. The Carbon is much simpler but geared a little more hands on manipulation of the actual sequences and they become more real-time tweak-able which lends itself to nice odd-meter acid and techno type stuff very well.

I sold my Pyramid to buy the Carbon, I do not regret it, as Carbon seems to offer more what I am looking for at the moment, but I would not rule out getting a Pyramid again in the future, Squarp customer service is second to none, and they seem very committed to improving the Pyramid and adding lots of new goodies at regular intevals.

9 Likes

Do you still like your carbon @darenager? I’m interested in one but hesitant due to the 6 track limitation - which seems unreasonable to me

I actually ended up returning it, I did not really gel with the UI and there were a few sync issues, the feature set is quite limited, and now Kilpatrick have stated there will be no new features added - unless users program them themselves and then they will consider adding them (!) a shame because it showed some promise but ultimately did not feel like a completed product, at least in the sense of say the Pyramid or Elektron gear.

Thanks for the insight . That will save me some dosh

No problem, if it was a £300 machine I’d have kept it, but at £650 - given the lack of any significant future development I felt my money was better spent elsewhere.

A post was merged into an existing topic: TUNGSTEN - Kilpatrick Audio

i actually just ordered one of these for a good deal as i liked the idea of using it to come up with ideas/musical meat quickly without using an elektron box (monomachine and digitakt are my main sequencers). i haven’t done much research, but your review was definitely very helpful especially in that you describe it as a pattern generator and not sequencer.

so i don’t see it as being my main sequencer, just something to create material to then spit into the MnM/DT for song creation.

I got a chance to play with one of these a few months ago at a synth show. The closest comparison I came up with at the time was Make Noise René. I love René because—here’s the main point of comparison—it’s not really a sequencer at all, but it generates weird backward snake patterns and so forth. Carbon struck me as a more visual approach, if anything René conceals its functionality behind typically hermetic Make Noise-isms and their inscrutable typeface™. That said, I don’t really have the need for both, but I think Carbon could be recommendable to someone who needs a very non-traditional CV pattern sequencer for jamming, with generous CV outs.

1 Like

yah, i have no cv gear but i love the generative aspect to get me out of the elektron mode of thinking, at least in the initial stages of composing a song.

just got it yesterday, and!

i lurvvvv it…such an awesome way to get yourself out of the elektron way of thinking.

still wrapping my head around scenes and hope to configure some song templates tonight.

This is more expensive than the Pyramid and has less knobs and buttons… does it do more ?

i haven’t fulled researched the pyramid, but this is definitely a lot less of a traditional sequencer and more of a pattern generator.

also…

new firmware update

http://www.kilpatrickaudio.com/firmware/K66-carbon-1.12-firmware.zip

version 1.12 changes:

Added more scales - thanks to CARBON user Bill Butler
Improved MIDI clock to be even more precise.
Added a CV Output Offset function as per user request.
Added autolive function to enable live playing over sequences.
Additional bug fixes and improvements.

1 Like

I should think about swapping mine for a Pyramid or Engine or something.

depends on what you’re using it for…i think the carbon excels at being a pattern/experiment generator.

I use it to keep the foam inside its cardboard box in the right place :expressionless:

3 Likes

aww, poor carbon needs a new home it sounds like.

PM Sent

1 Like

This thing seemed like a no brainer when it was announced, being a direct descendant of the awesome K4815 euro module.
What happened?

1 Like

I think when compared to the Squarp Pyramid, or Engine, it is sorely lacking in features, and there’s no roadmap for any additional improvements. It’s a shame, because I liked the build, and how this one looked the most. I’m in the market again for a sequencer, and I’m going for the Squarp Pyramid MK2.

I’m a big fan of the carbon and Andrew is actively updating the firmware (an update was just released).