Keystep and Digitakt

Hello, I’m using the keystep as midi keyboard for the Digitakt. But when connected the keystep only controles the trak1 and I would like the keystep to control any selected track. Do you know if this is possible?

use DT auto channel on keyboard

2 Likes

Press Shift and key 14 on the Keystep.

Let’s give you a little more information.

The Digitakt tracks 1-8 each respond to the corresponding MIDI channel. i.e. - track 1 responds to MIDI channel 1. Track 2, channel 2, etc…

Digitakt also has an “auto channel” feature where the selected track is controlled. That MIDI channel is 14 by default.

With your Keystep, you can quickly switch channels by pressing SHIFT + any one of the first 16 keys. The corresponding channels are labeled in blue above the key bed.

What you’re asking for (as answered by others) is to put the Keystep on channel 14, and then select the track you want on the DT.

Now, you may also control any track (1-8) from anywhere by quickly shifting the MIDI channel on the Keystep. This is SUPER useful.

While we’re on the subject, it’s important to point out that MIDI tracks only respond to auto channel on the selected track.

I hope this gives you a little more insight.

21 Likes

Thanks a lot!!!

2 Likes

Another question regarding this thread.
I’m thinking in buying a keystep pro but my main doubt is if I will be able to use native arpeggiator of the keystep to the digitakt sound coming out.

That would be really great, considering that Digitakt doesn’t have arpeggiators (hopefully for the moment)

Thank you

yes this works, I can confirm. Another sort of cool thing… I keep Digitakt clock out turned off because it’s tied together with start/stop and I don’t want that message going to my JX-03. I discovered if I tap tempo the keystep arp, I can record the notes in to the digitakt using quantized live rec. So even if the tempo isn’t exact (impossible to tap exact basically), it records the arp and plays back in time.

9 Likes

There are frequent crashes when using Keystep as clock/start/stop and playing Keystep patters into/through DT. Any solution/settings for this? Its driving me crazy! Running 1.04 firmware.

No solution, we’ll have to wait until the next firmware…

Thank god I just picked up a keystep to use with the digitakt

2 Likes

Keystep working fine after the latest firmware upgrade.

I don’t know if it can help some, but on my side I didn’t want the Keystep to be the master clock/start/stop instead of my Digitakt, but still wanted to use the Keystep arpegiator on the Digitakt.
So what I did: the Keystep goes to DT midi in, the DT sends clock/midi out/midi thru to my RK-004 midi hub, and I take out the audio clock signal from of the RK-004 and plug it in the Keystep clock receive port. Therefore I can avoid some potential midi loop issues and Digitakt can still rule them all. :smile:

1 Like

Theres an ok video on synthpedia on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whRK1a02E1A

Ah, sorry , i didnt read your post properly Lematt, that video might not answer your question

Can anyone confirm if this is a bug or if I’m doing something wrong?

I just got my keystep and it’s working great, but through the Digitakt the mod and pitch wheels and aftertouch don’t do anything. I bypassed the digitakt and ran midi directly from the keystep to my synths and those functions worked perfectly, so the keystep is fine, but routed through the Digitakt none of the functions work again, yet turning the PB AT and MW knobs on the SRC page perform the operations.

I’ve tried a new project, restarted both devices and my computer, everything is on latest firmware. Hope it’s just a bug but I don’t see anyone else saying they’re experiencing it.

Digitakt doesn’t detect pb/mod/after touch going in, I think it can only affect pb and mod of an external instrument. After all it is technically just a drum computer; Pitch bend wasn’t really useful/intended for drums. It’s a bummer I know but I don’t think it’ll be implemented any time soon.

That’s really a pity. For me this is a huge limitation of the MIDI tracks and MIDI functionality.

It’s great to have the MIDI tracks. Routing via autochannel or direct to the track channels works great and gives a lot of flexibility. But that PB/MW/AT is filtered out and not transfered is really a shame. I would already be happy if it would be transfered. Having it not recorded and not in a high temporal resolution is another thing. Fiddling with the internal settings for PB/MW/AT is really limiting and for playing live not usable.

5 Likes

Same here ! I hope we will find a solution soon…

Drat. I was really hoping this issue was just me doing something wrong, but I guess it’s a known issue and may not ever get fixed. It’s really inconvenient and limiting to have mod wheel and other performance controls filtered out, especially since some of the devices I’m driving don’t have those controls built in.

It seems like it shouldn’t be very difficult to just pass through those messages, even if the sequencer doesn’t handle them. It would help a great deal for live playing. So I really hope at least that much can be fixed in a future update.

I can’t figure out how to use the arpeggiator on the DT, any tips?

Edit: Nevermind, helps to set the right clock source on the keystep :slight_smile:

3 Likes