Just ONE channel to control Machinedrum

Hi,
I have a setup where I control many synths with one keyboard. all synths are set to each onwn midi channels. I can’t figure out how to set MD to recieve information on ONLY one channel. It has midi control base channel setting but there are always 4 channels to set. I don’t have 4 free midi channels for MD, just one. Anyone knows how to set it up?
Cheers, G.

you only need one channel to trigger the sounds afaik - 1 MIDI note per machine right? pretty sure the main reason for so many channels is so all the parameters on each track can have CC access - could maybe set to ignore incoming CCs but still respond to MIDI notes

2 Likes

I have 16 channels in my keyboard and I use them all (6 channels for monomachine, 4 for analog four etc. I have only 1 channel left for MD which I want to use to triger drums. The problem is that when I press a key on different channel (one of four from Base Channel range) it triggers other synth and MD at the same time and this is not good…

you have MIDI conflicts/overlaps, you will have to suss them out, welcome to the joys of MIDI routings :sweat_smile:

1 Like

What about Map Editor?
MD Machines can be all triggered with BASE CHANNEL, isn’t it ?
Only one channel needed for triggering in that case.
Parameters control is another 4 channel story.

You cannot set the Machinedrum to take fewer than 4 midi tracks, unless you turn off the midi channels completely. If you do that, it will still respond to midi clock sync and transport (start/stop), but you won’t be able to play it from an external midi source, or send it midi CC data. The reason for taking four tracks is so all the parameters can be addressed with conventional midi CC messages.

Do you need 6 channels for the Monomachine? If you’re not sequencing the individual tracks externally you can switch the channel span to zero and just use the auto channel to input note data to the sequencer.

you can use Map Editor to assign all the machines to be trigged by MIDI notes from the same channel, then just filter incoming CCs. this would make the ‘non-base’ MIDI channels effectively do nothing afaik

Yes,but Base channel is four channels…

filter with another device?

no, this is a feature on the MD itself

For me there’s only one BASE CHANNEL
Ex : 1, if you set it to 1-4. Other channels are BASE CHANNEL +1, +2, +3.

Thanks, I could do that but sometimes I need to play other machines from MNM when editing f.eg. number 1…

unfortunately then MD reacts to all 4. And I would like to use 3 other for other synths…

So you’re duplicating the MM’s internal track trigs externally, to another synth? That would be an issue then, yeah. But if you’re using midi tracks to sequence external gear, those are separate assignments and not affected by the track span settings for the internal tracks. Maybe I haven’t understood exactly what you’re doing with your setup.

1 Like

Ah machines are triggered with other channels too ? I thought it was Base Channel only. My bad.
Not very practical. I didn’t find filters for that in the manual, even for CCs.

I hope I’m wrong, but I only see a midi processor filtering midi data to solve it.

I’m using ch.1-6 for MNM and I’m using a keyboard to input notes on MNM’s sequencer or I just play it’s tracks as mono synths independently. Anyway I guess I need a hardware midi filter :frowning:

Yes… I guess I will need a midi filter for that… too bad

yeah unfortunately it does work this way - I just tested it - seems strange, as this is not exactly an undreamt-of use-case. I don’t see the advantage of having the MD respond to MIDI notes in this way - I assumed since you couldn’t assign channel to the MIDI notes in the map editor they were only referring to the first of the receiving MIDI channels :frowning:

1 Like

Not that bad, considering your setup it can be useful. Let’s say you want channel 1 for MD, filtering lower notes on channels 2-3-4 would suffice ? (Setting a lower range in Map Editor)

2 Likes

Me too. :wink:
Yeah, not practical, not enough on board filtering apparently.