Jumping into the modular madness!?

Yeah that’s the beauty of modular.
Everyone tackles it and uses it differently.
Don’t think you would see two modular systems the same, and even if you did, people would probably be using them very differently.
No right or wrong, it’s all good :totes:

4 Likes

Hey Folks, so uuuuhm today im going to get me these Stereo to mono Splitter cables :smiley: and i wanted to ask, how can i control the length of the note played in the A4 sequenzer, other than dialing the DECay in braids menu

What modules do you have now?
Are you going to use A4 as env, vca etc.?
Not sure on exactly what you have to work with?

The braids, i want to use the braids as voice of the A4, with p-locks, lfo, env, arpeggiator, and routing The braids tru the Filters and effects of the A4

1 Like

Do you have a link to get those, I can’t manage to find 'em and I’m tired of soldering things, I just want to make some noises… :stuck_out_tongue:

Well there are many choices i think

You just need to send both v/oct and trig signals from your A4 cv outs to Braids v/oct and trig inputs.
You then run a cable from the output of Braids audio into an A4 input (either left or right).
In your A4 you will need to select for one of your 4 voices this EXT input (either left or right).
This will now treat your external Braids oscillator exactly the same as one of your internal analog oscillators.
You can now shape and mould this Braids signal via the A4 env, filters, vca, effects etc.
Hope this makes sense?

1 Like

Thanks, did exactly that, but i dont know where to use a Filter? There is the lfo and env and arp/ Note menu but no options for filtering? and note length value wont respond, it just stays the same length

Thanks for the link !

Had an AK but don’t have it anymore so am running off memory here.
Not sure exactly what you mean with your query on where to use the filter?
The signal passes straight to the filters after the input stage.
You should be able to hear the signal and be able to effect it by altering the filter? Can you hear any signal?
Do you use Overbridge? If not I recommend installing and opening the plugin.
The plugin displays the whole signal path in one window, and should really help you understand the signal flow from start to finish, all the modulations available, and how everything interacts.

Yea i try… and is it normal, that when i transpose my pattern up the notes on The braids get transposed down its inverted :-0

many people seem to have this opinion about braids, but honestly i don’t get it. Compared to a dixie or any standard analog vco it doesn’t lack cv inputs. On a analog vco you usually have v/oct, pw, fm right. You have all those cv inputs in braids as well. For pw you have too use a square wave algo as you usually have to use a square in any other osc. The modulations for all the other more complicated algos are very well chosen imo. In the wavetable algo you can control the wavetable and scan through it, as you would expect etc. sure shapeshifter and others are more complex but compared to a dixie, i don’t see missing inputs or that its not as modular. You can’t control an internal envelope in dixie either. Because it doesn’t have it. You patch it to an external vca and control it with an external envelope. You can do the exact same thing with braids. The internal envelope and vca are nice handy extras. You don’t have to use them. And you can process it further like any vco, put through a waveshaper, a filter whatever.
Thats the way I see it. I understand if people do not like the sound, or menu etc. but I don’t see the lack of cv input. Don’t want to sound rude, just discussing my opinion :slight_smile:

1 Like

Typically you seem to go braids ( macro osc with buit in vca ) vs Dixie ( simple osc ).

That’s not my point.

My point is Braids < Dixie+ufold+uvca+quadra.

Not the same amount of money,not the same amount of hp, not the same amount of control for sure…

And once more this only my own vision of modular.

Since everyone in this thread seems in favor of Braids, I thought it was interesting to give an opposite view.

Fortunately, you don’t agree, that’s nice but since we are talking about something quite subjective here, I guess there have been enough exposed arguent so everyone will be able to make the choice that will suit him the best. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Fair enough :slight_smile: of course this is subjective. And i don’t want to diss the dixie, i’m sure it is a great sounding osc. I don’t want to compare braids and a dixie function wise.
My point was just about braids not being so modular. One could say, why not using braids - ufold - uvca and quadra? You don’t have to use braids on it’s own, you can integrate it in your setup with wavefolders, filters, modulation, and vcas like any other vco.
I agree that braids produces sounds on its own, where you often had to buy several basic components to get the same result. That’s why people tend to call it presets in braids. But you’d need a lot of modules for some of the more exciting algos in braids.

I don´t get the point in the discussion about braids. I want to get a second oscillator for my system and seriously concider to buy another braids (maybe the microbraids to save money and space) instead of different model.

heyhey whats up?

uhm yea braids and dixie are both nice… it depends? like always…

so back to MY problems :smiley:
i fell in love with the Eowave fluctuations

it rips the sound and is a little throaty for like formants?
do you know any similar filters, where i can CV control the res/freq like in the eowave, with formant filtering? i would have to order the eowave from far away, and i am not sure about it yet… maybe im missing a obvious filter solution.

greets, Dennis

2 Likes

You could have a look at the Mannequin’s three sisters, not exactly the same but can cover some similar territories…

1 Like

yea thanks im watching demos right now… read about it pretty often the last few days :slight_smile: must be good, but is it as ripping (or maybe watery bleeps bloops) as the fluctuations?

also looking at the 4ms spectral resonator… not really the thing i wanted but damn boiiiiii O.O hahahaha

1 Like

These were hard to get when I finished off my case, but the Eowave Fluctuations Magnetiques was high on my list and I hope to have one eventually. The Eowave Magma is one of my favorite synths.

In osc page of one track(e.g. Track 4) set osc to L for instance. You can then use the filters…
In CV track, set all your CV outs so that they get trigged by the track 4 as source, so that osc and filters and env are trigged simultaneously.

:slight_smile:

1 Like