Japanese music - Deep cuts

Saw these guys live at Cafe Oto in London some 15 years ago and I was so impressed and enchanted. Also known for their Maher Shalal Hash Baz project.

1 Like

I used to love listening to and playing my guitar along to j rock punk bands - it was like final fantasy 7 music with punk drum beats haha

Onna - linked due to weird NSFW artwork. Featuring a young Michio Kurihara on guitar.

I was browsing fave tracks by Yoshimo and found her new band. They play indian music and its wild.

I love the music of Meiko Kaji - her sound predates City Pop by a few years and it has a more funk / psyche / country vibe. Tarantino used a couple of her songs in Kill Bill and she is incredible in Lady Snowblood.

2 Likes

Love love love this ambient album from Hiroshi Yoshimura, part of the Wave Notation project:

3 Likes

And one more. This was commissioned by Muji for their in-store music. Not sure how many of the songs actually got played. Reminds me of a trip I made to Tokyo in 2009. I was staying in Kagurazaka and on the Saturday afternoon smooth jazz muzak gently played from speakers in the street lights(?)

Tokyo is definitely a feast for the ears.

1 Like

Have you heard this compilation?

I have - it’s a great comp.

1 Like

She’s great. I saw her perform on Japanese TV not that long ago. They were noting about how popular she is overseas. So many great old Japanese tunes just aren’t appreciated here. I sometimes play amazing tunes I’ve found for Japanese people (even music geeks), and almost all of the time they are dumbfounded by why I would like it. Haha.

1 Like

Thank you for this thread!

Female Fronted Math Rock anyone?

That one worked. Thanks! Definitely the sort of stuff I’m into. I should probably revisit Boris. I know I’ve checked them out before, but it never really clicked for me. Anything I should start with?

I think others might be able to guide you on that better than me. For me, I’ve found I don’t like their albums as much as their live show. If you have the chance to see them live, do it!

1 Like

techno classic!

5 Likes

Not sure if it is a deep cut, but when there’s an Elektronauts post that list great Japanese artists, then Hideki Matsutake definitely belong on the list. TIL that he is Chairman of Japan Synthesizer Programmers Association (JSPA) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh wow! He’s on Elektronauts?! Amazing album!

I posted about it here a while back. A local DJ had just spun that one, so it was in my mind when that thread came up.

Such a great thread - a goldmine!

1 Like

Sorry, I did not mean to insinuate that he actually had an account here. Can see how my wording could have indicated that. Have edited the post to reflect my actual meaning.

1 Like

Ah cool. No worries. Would have been awesome. :slight_smile:

I agree amazing album and artist! Nice choice!

1 Like