Is Elektron giving up the keyboard market?

I really do not think, they drop the keys…
a) they updated to MKII in the sequence they relased the MK I-Version (octa, a4, AR)… so next should be AK
b) as stated its nearly sold out… that means AK is a success gear
c) NAMM is knocking on our doors… and its their anniversary year…

i could imagine they will built a AK with more connectivity… by all the comments on how people loved this polysynth and by the fact, that they already have the OS ready, i doubt they dont continue the AK…

The AK obviously didn’t do that well. I also noticed that it was harder for me to sell it than the RYTM.
The mkII needs:
-) Better, more robust design, no exposed keys.
-) More direct controls and readable display. My old Roland D-50 has a similar display but I can read it, it has the right contrast angle. Not so the AK.
-) At least 6 voices to compete with DSI
-) Industry standard midi connectivity obviously, not this crippled sequencer bullshit

3 Likes

No, it doesn’t. It simply means they sold almost as many as they made. They have to ask themselves how many units they can sell to people that wouldn’t get the A4 MK2 if there wasn’t an Analog Keys (MK2) and if they’re able to cover the additional R&D, manufacturing, support, stocking and other costs. Now that A4 MK2 got the individual outs, there’s one reason less to get an AK MK2. To add on top of that, quite a few second hand units are on the market. I don’t expect an AK MK2 to be honest. In my opinion, it doesn’t make sense from a business point of view.

3 Likes

I own both A4 MK1 and an AK and now a Digitakt. I am primarily a keys player and what was sorely missing on a performance flagship keyboard and controller such as the AK, is: Footswitch and Expression Pedal inputs, and that LCD simply made at an angle rather than flat. Done.
I have no intention of purchasing the MK2 box just to get those inputs for switch/pedals, and to be frank, I do not like the new design. Those pedal inputs missing on a flagship performance keyboard controller was a huge clue that not too many people at Elektron even play keys or they would have known from beginning those pedal/expression inputs were important for…performance. The fact they have now added them to the MK2 A4 box shows a certain arrogance in not really fully researching what keyboard players regularly have used going back to the 70’s.
One last thing: I did purchase “Underhub” and installed it on AK to protect those exposed key design. I use three, three-tiered keyboard synth stacks in my set-up and the AK is pretty much delegated to lay flat because ergonomically it’s a pain in the ass to view, and even lay properly and safely on a higher tier.
Even with my misgivings, I absolutely love the AK and use my A4 box as mainly a great percussive machine…I like it’s sound-sculpting and sound much better than the Rhythm.

4 Likes

this

How are the midi connections not standard?

2 Likes

I love most Elektron gear but Access Virus TI takes the crown for synthesizer keyboard even though it is super expensive. The A4K is a great keyboard synth and I would pick one up used if a good deal came up just as a used Elektron and used Rytm will be great buys.

1 Like

come on now :slight_smile:

I would imagine that the lack of sequencing external midi gear is what’s considered crippled here.

Yes, the Polar with a sequencer would be something, wouldn’t it?

1 Like

Per a thread on GS there are no more 56k DSP chips available so they’re speculation of the TI3 coming soon.

2 Likes

I want to believe.

1 Like

I hope not because their keyboard was the only new one with a joystick. I don’t know why so few synths have these. All the ones I have used with a joystick whether it’s a prophet vs, wave station or d-50, are some of my most favourite synths. I had a chance to try them out at my friends house and I love the control over the sound with the joystick. I know roland has something called d-beam, which I’ve never used. But I’m really interesting in new controllers and modern ideas, modulation wheels are very boring in comparison to a joystick but if you have both it’s even better : )

3 Likes

Yeah. I kinda get that. Just don’t think it’s fair to go from “I wish there was something that was never advertised” to “lack of industry standard midi connections”.

The midi specs are pretty well speced and versatile for a keyboard. But no, it’s not a midi sequencer.

Aaaaarrrggghhh. Why do I let myself get dragged into this sh#t? :question: :black_circle: :question:

2 Likes

Indeed. Now that I think of it, my two other favorite instruments I’ve owned - the VCS3 and the Wavestation - both have joysticks. It’s simple and seemingly limited as a control source, but so intuitive!

1 Like

I agree : ) I got a chance to use a Touché controller at the store. And while I really like it, I would pick joystick control over it anytime. The idea of having 4 different zones for effects, layers of sound, that’s what I want. And the visual cue of seeing where the stick is in comparison to the invisible control of a Touché is important, for me anyway.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried the Touché, but only because I already have a Continuum (which is the only control tool I like more than a joystick, although they serve very different purposes in my setup). I sold my A4 and bought the AK for many reasons, but the joystick was near the top of the list. It gives some of the flexibility of the VCS3 but with the stability of the A4. Plus, I figured I could probably use it with the virtual Wavestation. That, the size and the aftertouch sealed the deal for me. (I’d love to see a MkII AK, but I fear it would be bigger - the AK fits perfectly in the space I have on my desk)

1 Like

this “if they put their minds to it” is exactly what will probably NOT happen. why should Elektron try to fill a niche that is crowded with M1s, Fantoms, FA-08s, Tyros’s … the list is basically endless :slight_smile: if they would do that they probably wouldnt sell that much units. i can only speak for myself but i wouldnt want a Workstation that does everything - but without a soul!

no no. let Elektron do their thing. i rather spend money on lots of small, fun and charismatic units as saving for an uber expensive Preset thrower that takes ages to get into (and i probably never get into it :smiley: )

just my 2 cents though …

2 Likes

It’s not crowded at all. The big bad workstation market, that’s crowded. The neat, compact and focused one, hardly even has a venue. Perhaps for a reason, though.

But the only options out there are the JD-Xi, the Analog Keys, the MiniAK (though arguably, out of production for years), and that’s about it.

But again, the workstation people tend to be keyboardists and they usually don’t favour 37 keys. I’m an exception, and more by need than choice. If you’re tight on space, it is what it is and perhaps not a problem designed to be solved a manufacturer of sorts.

Though if I had the space, I wouldn’t get a Krome or Kronos or whatnot. They still feel like products from the 90’s, that just survived through the ages. The Elektron stuff, that’s something else. Pour that genius into a workstation, you might get golden.

2 Likes

Agreed. I don’t think it’s crowded for the particular niche the AK found itself in.

I also think there’s a market out there for an 8 voice digital keyboard in similar vein to the AK with the bells and whistles. Think an MnM+ with the modern Elektron sequencer.

1 Like