iPad Music Apps?

3 Likes

I use that combo from time to time, what would you like to know? Iā€˜ll try to help where I can :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Comparison of 3 popular granular apps by Jakob Haq:

iDensity (one of the best imo) is not included, but I guess it just didnā€™t make his top 3

1 Like

yeah I dunno why he didnā€™t cover iDensityā€¦ and Quanta is around the corner soā€¦

On the AB forum he said he only wants to make videos on apps on which he has personal experience. Quanta is not one of them yet.

well I already did some tests in the meantime :wink:
I was curious about the possibility of triggering samples, wich apparently does just fine (via disk streaming)
for now Iā€™m manually triggering them with file players in AUM, but I might incorporate BM3 later onā€¦ seems like a good option to have a single session loaded with several long audio files (evolving synths, textures, vocals, etc.)
how do you use it? Iā€™m interested in your workflow / uses

1 Like

i basically use it like an sp404, so have a bunch of loops and slices on the four banks and trigger those via digitakt or on screen. I tried emulating a live sampling & slicing setup a la octatrack but gave up on it again rather quicklyā€¦Iā€™ll probably just get an Octatrack in the near future :slight_smile:

1 Like

For long sample i use Loopy HD

I use quanitloop, mostly for guitar looping which is its main design. Itā€™s tip top imo, does everything I want, supports AUv3, can wire it into Aum via IAA etc. Wish it had more tracks.

I usually use it with a fixed number of bars, but i believe it supports arbitrary length loops. You can try it for free anyway. Limited to 4 tracks.

Korg Summer Sale:

Never owned Reason or used Rex loops, so not sure the new Stockholm REX player gadget is for me. Might go for Vancouver instead.

1 Like

Whoa! Octo Rex for Gadget?! Sweet! I just now found out about this!

Iā€™ve always thought it looked interesting from what Iā€™ve seen, but I was never a fan of Reason- nor did I want to go in on another DAW environment

Iā€™m going to wait for some videos to come out about it before purchasing. I donā€™t know how I would be able to convert a file to REX on my iPhone/iPad

OK quick question, going to buy Gadget for Ā£19 here in the UK but what does it offer?. As I still see a lot of in app purchases.

ANy other must have Korg apps I should cop

You should take your time, the sale lasts a while, and read a lot of reviews. Running a search on the Audiobus Forum for an app you might be interested in is a good idea.

Generally speaking Korg are insanely slow with updates and they have not made AU versions of any of their apps. They have also not adopted other app-enhancing technologies (read: convenience) like the Files app.

Donā€™t fall into the mentality that just because thereā€™s a super sale you should buy apps or IAPs. Itā€™s so easy to do on iOS and you end up with a ton of apps youā€™ll never use. There will be other sales.

Just wanted to warn you because I most certainly fell into that trap and have loads of apps I do not, and probably will never, use.

3 Likes

I use my. iPad a lot
Typically in aum.
Sunrizer / all beep street
All bram bos . Run cells into scaler into arp ā€¦
All audio damage fx , Dubstation and adverb2 are great
AUFX range.
Like the new rx950 plugin too , great on drums.
DRC, sem , model dā€¦

Aum. Can do crazy modulation stuff too.
Quanta looks good , Iā€™ve got the others ā€¦ theyā€™re nice for weird ambient things but havenā€™t got into any tracks yet

1 Like

The stockholm gadget was an instabuy for me. The port is just about perfect IMO, very fluid and fun to use, with all the staple dr rex workflows intact (like my old fave, dialing in that notch filter with cutoff at minimum position, BOOM).

Now then, I am having a new problem with my Gadget that Iā€™m rather disappointed about. I have been making some custom patches for my iwavestation and iM1 both in the standalone apps, and I can use those in Gadget iOS just fine. But if I then try to iCloud sync the gadget projects which use these custom patches to gadget desktop on my mac, the custom patches do not sync along with the rest of the project. GRRRRR!

Any ideas how to solve this? I mean, how do you even get custom patches into gadget desktop? Do I need to buy the Korg (no longer legacy) collection to get access to the gadget custom patch imports? Sheeeeeeeeshā€¦

I also have to admit having other, mysterious icloud syncing probs with Gadget. Sometimes a song will not sync no matter how many times I hit the blue cloud iconā€¦ just will not uploadā€¦

The ā€œbasicā€ iOS Gadget is complete and the in-app purchases ā€œonlyā€ add new sound generators. Maybe the Zurich recorder was in-app purchase too?

Examples:

• Bilbao is a drum machine and allows to import samples, London doesnā€™t
  • Abu Dhabi allows importing and slicing loops, Vancouver only supports factory samples
  • Then there are the synths from the Korg Collection like the Arp Odyssey, Mono/Poly, Polysix etc. and the
  • sample based instruments from the Module-series (Pianos, Organs, Orchestra, etc.).

I would start with the basic Gadget and if you really miss a particular sound engine, check it out. IMO it depends very much on the kind of music you are creating, which of the Gadgets makes sense or not.

Edit: I stay corrected, @GovernorSilver is right, Vancouver supports to import user samples.

2 Likes

This video supposedly shows how to load user samples in to Vancouver

2 Likes

Gadget is basically a self-contained workstation app, with a fairly large selection of ā€œgadgetsā€ you can sequence with the piano roll style sequencer. Back in the 80s, before workstation keyboards became affordable, a typical ā€œworkstationā€ was one or more drum machines, a bass line machine (eg. TB-303), another machine for chords, etc. Korgā€™s own Volca line is a return to that idea; so I kind of think of the gadgets as virtual Volcas. So most of the IAPs are for synth apps like iM1, Mono/Poly, etc. so that you can use them inside of Gadget.

Peeps who love Gadget the most tend to already like piano-roll sequencers and arenā€™t too bothered by lack of AU support or the limited MIDI out implementation. We call it a ā€œwalled gardenā€ because it doesnā€™t seem to be designed to integrate well with apps outside of Gadget. OTOH, changes to IOS and stuff like that donā€™t hurt Gadget as much as they can hurt apps that have to talk to each other over AU, AU MIDI, IAA, etc. Itā€™s a good choice for when you want to put together a song without messing too much with all those integration technologies.

If you want a simpler groovebox oriented app for banging out beats quickly and not spending a lot of time auditioning all kinds of synths and samplers, Grooverider might be worth a look as an alternative.

As far as Korg apps go, iMS-20 is a must-have for me, because I own an MS-20 Mini. The app is really useful for trying out MS-20 patches when Iā€™m away from home. The sequencer interface kind of sucks though, as you canā€™t zoom in on the knobs, making it more difficult than necessary to set the knobs to exact values.

In case anyone else was wondering about this, I found a workaround. But you need to have Korg Collection M1 licence (formerly known as Korg Legacy Collection) for the desktop as well :skull_and_crossbones:

So how you get those custom Darwin sounds to ableton? First you need to make copies of the required patches from your ā€Library 1-4ā€ bank(s) into banks ā€User 1-4ā€. Doesnt matter which userbank you use as long as all patches can also be found there. Now, ā€export to KLCā€ from iM1.

Once you have transferred the bank dump into your desktop, you can load up the userbanks in the M1 VST. so you then replace any Darwin instances in your ableton session with the M1 VST and load up the required bank/patch.

Korg would do well to streamline this workflow. The ā€Library 1-4ā€ banks should also be available in M1 VST, and Darwin should import those banks in, just like on iOS. Effin kludge man

1 Like

I hate the sounds in the Gadget M1, but he standalone M1 has so much sound control on it that it becomes appealing- so Iā€™m on the fence for getting the Legacy M1- since the essence of the synth is something I donā€™t care for