iPad Music Apps?

You can turn the volume down on the patterning mixer or load empty samples.

Or are you saying elastic isn’t receiving?

BTW, pour one outfit Samplr. Looks like it may not make the jump to the new os

1 Like

thanks. I know I can mute them but I thought if I send to the midi port where elastic dr are assigned it should stop triggering internal.
Anyway, yes ED are not receiving. Maybe I have the wrong midi notes but I think I tried every octave. midi channels are adjusted. no idea what’s wrong

You need to midi learn the notes in ED, hit option > midilearn in instr window while your Patterning track you want to map is running.

2 Likes

There you go! Thanks a lot.

after some time of not using the Octa much, yesterday I made a session in AUM with TroubleMaker, Viking and Magellan, all sequenced in different MIDI channels with the Octa, going into a Thru Machine on inputs 1/2… I might start replacing my desktop synths live with the iPad, it was a lot of fun :slight_smile:
although, Viking doesn’t recieve Program Change messages… that’s kind of a deal breaker for me. I’ll see if I can manage to use Moog Model 15 instead (best bass on iPad IMO) but I’m a bit worried about CPU usage, although I’m at around 50% now with that (plus a few AU+AUFX:Push on a BUS send for compression)… might also try something other than Magellan for pads/leads, but I don’t think I have any other option currently purchased

Still doesn’t work. ED is listening for midi but patterning is not sending out anything.
I wanted to import my own samples then but it seems patterning won’t import folders. Is this possible?

NOOOOOOOOO! :cry: What’s it mean? If I update to ios11 I can’t use Samplr or just that it won’t be optimized for future ioses?

I haven’t yet gotten alone with Nave. I think it is me, not it. Any tips or what you found to make it good for you?

You did turn on MIDI track output in Patterning right? Mine is set as Port:ElasticDrums/Ch:1/Note:C3-x

In ED, midi in channel: 1, Clock In and Note In both set to ED

Make sure, say your kick track is playing (with some trigs) in Patterning, go back to ED, instr page, press option, press midi learn, then click track button (1-6).

I just cleared everything and redid this process to check and it is good to go here.

For user samples in Patterning, you can import from the usual, Dropbox, iTunes etc, in ED you need to buy sample import.

If you’re on iOS 10 currently (any version) and see that “this app may slow down your iPad” dialog box (which is more wordy in 10.3), it means the application was compiled for 32-bit only. iPads since the iPad Air and iPhones since iPhone 5 or 5S (whenever the A7 chip came along) have had 64-bit chips that could run 32-bit stuff with some emulation/tricks.

The stuff in iOS that did that is being taken out of iOS 11 completely. It will make the OS leaner and faster, but anything that has been abandoned and hasn’t been compiled for 64 bit support (which probably means it’s also using older versions of APIs) will stop working entirely.

I’m a bit surprised to see Samplr on this list.

If you’re on iOS 10, go into ‘Settings’ app and into General -> About -> Applications and you will see a list of apps that might not work on iOS 11 if they don’t get updated in the next few months. There’s a lot of fun old music apps on my iPhone that are probably going to die (not that I use them much, but some like iDrum were among the first music apps I ever had on the iPhone… Although many of these old iPhone apps especially don’t support modern screen resolutions, let alone anything like Audiobus or inter-app-audio).

I think I’ll have to do some sampling/recording of these things into the Octatrack and OP-1 for posterity.

2 Likes

Samplr aint on the list. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Thank you.
That’s exactly what I’m doing. I have to oversee something or my app isn’t working correctly.
Do you know if you can load whole folders to patterning, or just file by file?

I’m coming from a Blofeld so I already knew what to expect and what type I sounds I wanted out of it.

For me the turning point was understanding the “wave” window and what the 3 strips at the bottom do. You can use them to set up visually the wave starting point and movement, which was a royal pita on the Blofeld…

1 Like

So, Nave is a decent Blofeld understudy?

I sold my Blofeld.
Nave is not as deep, but twice as immediate.

Nave is great but it’s not blofeld.
Blofeld is amazing once you figure it out.

1 Like

I’m really liking Bram Bos’s Ripplemaker at the moment. And looking forward to the new Beatmaker 3 app. Looks a very capable DAW for ipad. Check the screenshots.

2 Likes

yesterday I bought Mood by apesoft… I really like the sound of it, looking forward to sequence it - is modeled after a mini Moog if I’m not wrong, and it certainly has a warmth to it… and really nice bass response IMO, which is something I don’t think is easy to find in iOS ( Model 15 is amazing although heavy on CPU, and I really like Viking, but it doesn’t recieve program change messages - Mood does, essential if you plan to use it live… )
oh, and it’s AU!

Man, I really wish Korg would sell a midi gadget…

1 Like