iPad Music Apps?

TBH, from my experience with modstep it sounds better than it is. I never managed to get it to work well, constantly having glitches and crashes with it on an iPad Air.
Actually other than Animoog and nave for the most part I am done with iOS.
Gonna be looking at a surface pro soon to replace it. I’ve been using reason as a sound module for my hardware sequencers and samplers and it’s great, could only be better with touch interface!

1 Like

Thanks for telling me this NOW! ;D

Good man @Ryan I can’t believe Collider had less than 30 downloads, that’s just incomprehensible, there are Rytms all over the place but only a few Colliders!
Flummoxed and flabbergasted…:astonished:
Enjoy it anyway, it does things to the Rytm that a human would not.

I have no idea about GarageBand but Elastic Drums allows you to export loops, songs and I think individual channels so that will allow you to export it where you wish!

1 Like

Check AUM, it allows you to mix and record all your synth apps.

And for anyone struggling with getting “productive” on iPads, check Auria. IMO it’s the “missing link” in iOS software.

4 Likes

Which Collider app are y’all talking about? The Large Hadron one or the gaming one?

2 Likes
2 Likes

They’re really two different apps. Borderlands lets you put down one to N number of audio clips on the screen, then you can play them simultaneously if you want, plus other fun stuff.

iDensity is more about digging deep into one audio file at a time.

I’ve enjoyed using both. If you only get one, you’ll eventually regret not getting the other.

There’s a bunch of DAW apps that will let you record (Cubasis, Auria, Auria Pro, Beatmaker 2, etc.).

In the past, I just used Audiobus and stuck Audioshare in the recording slot to record quick jams and experiments. But that was before AUM - t can act as a mixer for your synth, FX, sampler, etc. apps and also route the mix (or individual tracks) to Audioshare. After that you can move files from Audioshare to a DAW if you like.

2 Likes

Not really. iDensity gives you 6 different parallel granular streams plus very powerful macro control over all of them on a XY pad. It does everything that borderlands does and much more. I got Borderlands and I do regret it. Mainly because you can’t change the pitch of audio files. It means you have to pitch shift everything into place before you load sounds into Borderlands. This workflow is just stupid and unnecessary.

Except let you play two or more audio files at the same time.

You cannot do this in iDensity. You can in Borderlands Granular. That’s why I keep and use both.

2 Likes

I don’t know what you mean. Of course you can play up to six files at the same time in iDensity. There used to be an old incarnation of iDensity that only had a single stream, but that is years ago. The latest version is much more powerful.

1 Like

Ah you are right, there are multiple streams now:

However, I will decide for myself if Borderlands needs to be deleted from my iPad now. :wink: Everyone has his/her own workflow/UI preferences. I can already see there’s still something different enough to hesitate before deleting the other app.

Collider - For The Analog Rytm by Marcos Kohler

Put in your password and prepare for a journey into Rytmland…

3 Likes

I’ll keep that in mind if I ever get a Rytm. :wink:

Oh balls!

2 Likes

Finally got this installed after having to update iTunes to update my iPad to a compatible OS. Then I had to leave for work. Can’t wait to play with this when I get home!

Ace! Apple don’t make anything easy do they?
Report your findings when you recover!
Be sure to back up your work on the Rytm just incase, I mean I’ve not had any problems at all but Collider is so good you can quickly start eating up your pattern slots!
I have a Collider specific project to keep things tidy!

1 Like

For all you Gadget users, check the new Arp Odyssei synth! Just bought it, and this seems to be really useful within the Gadget paradigm. A flexible synth with a decent sound. Has IAA and Audiobus too I guess?

Korg Gadget with Bilbao (custom drum samps), iM1, Kamata and Odyssei = Techno for days!

EDIT: Oh man, I cannot get over how good Odyssei sounds! Makes me GAS hard for a real, hardware 6-voice poly Arp Odyssey (3x desktops polychained). what a sublime instrument!

2 Likes

Current recommendations for external controllers for iPad? I’ve used my OP-1 with the iPad via Camera Connection Kit in the past with mixed results, but I think there’s a certain sequence you have to plug it in for each side to recognize the other as a USB Class device or some such nonsense.

It’d be nice to ditch the cable though. I’m looking at Korg NanoKey Studio to also use (via Oplab) on occasion with Volcas and Monomachine and the like. Or Arturia Keystep. Seems like it comes down to one of those. I like the battery functionality of NanoKey and its bluetooth midi and its extended set of controls, and I’ll probably be using with Korg Software a lot of the time. But Keystep has that traditional midi connection for easier connection to other gear without a USB-Midi host…

1 Like