iPad Music Apps?

I was just using the Pyramid to sequence different gadgets, like this.

3 Likes

Brilliant! I’ll definitely have to give that a go! I like the sounds in Gadget, but composing solely from the iPad removes some of the magic out of it! sequencing it from the Pyramid might be just the thing. Also, my Pyramid learning next step is is to send CCs today!

Ironically, I’m looking for a method of creating midi inside my iPad to send to the Pyramid. At least for composing rhythmic sequences. Having that grid where you can layout the entire rhythmic patch is the most satisfying method for concise rhythms I’ve found. You wouldn’t know any good apps that I could do that with, would ya? Something for multiple bars in odd times. (Gadget would have been PERFECT if not for the lack of midi out)

I have not, but I’m only just starting to explore making sequences elsewhere and then moving them to the Pyramid (in fact, I really, really need them to drop that 2.0 update because I have a live project I need to be working on but need pattern mode to export linear tracks cut down to patterns).

I’ve never messed with exporting from Gadget to Ableton Live, but I know it’s a feature of Gadget, and I’d expect that it does export sequences as midi in that way (although I could be totally mistaken). If so, it would be a bit of a workaround, but it should work…you’d probably still find it easiest to prep your midi patterns in a DAW anyhow, since the Pyramid is fairly specific about the naming conventions used for exported midi tracks.

1 Like

Damn! I feel lousy for taking so long to get around to figuring out CC messages on the Pyramid! Once you get the hang of it, it’s pretty intuitive!

I just there was a way to control it directly from the interface to explore values before locking them in on the sequencer so you can locate the values you want to lock in.

I’m ready to try to dive into iDensity a bit. Their initial presets sound amazing to me. Does anybody know how to clear all samples and settings to the tracks so that it plays the samples like normal? I need a fresh slate to get a better grasp of each parameter.

Thanks

15 posts were split to a new topic: Choice of iPad?

Has anyone used their Ipad as effect processor? How do you set it up and what have you used?

Get AUM. It is a necessity. You can easily set up effect routings as simple or as complex as you like. As many mix busses as your iPad can cope with, state saving, Ableton Link, MIDI control, filters. Its great. If I could have the iPad boot directly into AUM I would. It’s where I start everything.

In terms of actual effects:
The Flora effects are all great (especially since they are now AUs).
Jonatan Liljedahls AUFX series are also great.
RP-1 and RF-1 are also getting alot of use.
Holderness Media apps are also good (in particular I use Crystalline and Caramel quite a bit).

4 Likes

that would be magical. Numerology is awesome

I’m getting my Ipad today and just wanted to say thanks… I guess I find almost every information I need regarding making music on the Ipad on this great thread!

They are going to stop offering Propellerhead’s rebirth on the App store. Get it while you can.

1 Like

I remember noodling around with it for hours when I had it on my 90ies Powerbook…

Its Interface was too small for me on the ipad…
But the sound… I loved it…

2 Likes

I started yesterday, buying Elastic drums and Samplr. Wow, that is fun. Great apps, love the interface of the Ipad. I’m already convinced this was a good decision. This evening I get myself a synth :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Wow. Patterning… how great is that one. I’m blown away

7 Likes

Patterning is really outstanding. Even if it’s the only app you run, it still justifies the cost of the ipad IMO.

2 Likes

It’s always been gadget for me. Though modstep + phasemaker is like a Korg fm controlled with an OT to me. So, that’s pretty cool!

3 Likes

no gadget for me seriously. that’ s great’
modstep looks quite powerful. Is phasemaker an fm synth? I bought the model 15 but I need something good with fm or wavetable.
samplr and borderlands are also tons of fun. Really happy with the ipad buy

1 Like

Patterning triggering Elastic Drums, see you in a few days.

2 Likes

that’s the plan :slight_smile:

1 Like