Introducing Octatrack MKII

This

2 Likes

It reminds me of the original GameBoy screen :yellow_heart:

i opened my previous Octatrack ā€¦ long story ā€¦ anyway, it is a thing of beauty within.
Like nothing i have seen before nor since.

5 Likes

I was thinking about the code inside :wink: but itā€™s quite sparse in the OT iirc, whereas the analogs are understandably rammed with chips and boards with some lovely details on the flip-side

1 Like

The biggest difference will be in the perceived ā€˜snappinessā€™ of the system. The LED screen in the OT doesnā€™t have a great refresh rate (most LED displays donā€™t, some are better and some are worse). You can see the effects of this refresh rate as a sort of fade between on/off states in the pixels. The fade makes the system feel slow or not very responsive. The OLED screens have far superior refresh rates, and this eliminates that pixel-fade effect. So while the system itself is no faster, youā€™ll interpret it as ā€˜fasterā€™ or ā€˜snappierā€™ because the screen refresh is so good. This, to me, is what makes the OLED displays superior. The increased contrast and better viewing angles are a bonus.

5 Likes

lol

[quote=ā€œpanelist, post:833, topic:41258, full:trueā€]The OLED screens have far superior refresh rates, and this eliminates that pixel-fade effect. So while the system itself is no faster, youā€™ll interpret it as ā€˜fasterā€™ or ā€˜snappierā€™ because the screen refresh is so good. This, to me, is what makes the OLED displays superior. The increased contrast and better viewing angles are a bonus.
[/quote]

Note to Elektron - the stats on the page for size of the unit are wrong.
340mm in inches = 13.3858", not 8.5" as the current stats state on the page here.

While the above statement about OLED is true about luminosity, the pixel depth is atrocious. 128x64? Whatā€™s the DPI? Resolution does not equal the real estate here. This has to be one of the lowest resolution OLED displays out there.

Consider that the OLED display on the OTmkII will be about 5" diagonal corner to corner give or take. Hereā€™s your DPI:

An iPhone 7 Plus has a DPI of 401, a resolution of 1920x1080, costs about $1000 for the top end 256gb modelā€¦

Letā€™s just not fool ourselves about the screen. It will be bright and easy to see. OLED is great for that, the best currently on the market. 128x64 though?

1 Like

:aw:

2 Likes

OT mkI diagonal is 2.9", and 128x64 is pretty standard for interface displays like this.

I wait for more informations on the upgrade (as dateline said : Just remember this is more of an hardware update)

As I probably coming back to OT, A4 and DTā€¦
I really considering to upgrade everything now. so 2017/2018 will probably be this investment.
I donā€™t really like the design but maybe in hands + few enhancements and I will be happy in the end.

:sweat_smile:

I must admit, that is why I raised the question on the new screen.
I had presumed the Digitakt had a much higher rez screen (obviously not iphone rez but something really high), and therefor thought that the OT mk II obviously did too.
Should have just read the spec sheet. Specs were there all along (canā€™t find face palm emoticon)
No big deal really :slight_smile:

the screen has a protective cover, its just really flush to the surface, so hard to find an edge. The screen is OK once the cover is removed

1 Like

I literally bought an used OT ten minutes before seeing the MKII announcement. First my heart skipped a beat, then I relaxed since it seems to be a hardware revision only. Hopefully :smiley:

2 Likes

wow i feel dumb! iā€™ll try again i guess

He said so ? :content:
Quote and link ? :wink:

It would be more surprising if the MkII is just a hardware revision than if they (at some future point) do upgrade the OS.

Pretty easy for the OS to recognise what hardware shell is it booting up into.

Weā€™ve only been told that MkI projects will load in MkII; but nothing has been said about back-compatibility of MkII projects into MkI. Nor have we been told that the CPU is the same?

For so long as the OT MkII is the flagship above the DT tugboat, the likelihood of OT MkII getting some OS upgrades to match parallel DT functionality seems high ā€¦

This is more of an hardware update ā€¦ until they update the software.

End of crystal ball transmission.

5 Likes

@sezare56

4 Likes

stoked love the new hardware

You mean Octatrack OS2.0 needs conditionnal trigs to be the undisputed Flagship ? :wink:

Well ā€¦ golden rule: only buy it for what they tell you it is.

Iā€™m just speculating

2 Likes