Introducing Octatrack MKII

octaedit will no doubt need an update to cater for conditrigs?

3 Likes

or is it … Let’s Rocktatrack.

Somehow, the Octatrack in October seems appropriate.

October was once in fact the 8th month of the year, but then Julius Augustus Caesar convinced the authorities to do him a favour and put his two first names in the middle months of the year, July and August. Thus offsetting October by two months from its original position.

6 Likes

No doubt.

I’ve already got a pretty good idea about the Trig Conditions; where they will be stored; and how they will be handled… initially I would expect to be able to implement similar functionality as per other elements; graphical editing, copy/paste, library save/load; randomisation etc.

But until I get my hands on the new OS; this is only conjuecture; and I can’t do too much preperation.

10 Likes

The Octatrack has a usb disk mode that mounts the cf card to a computer.
You then access it like a drive and just drag/drop/move/copy/etc… Samples and projects and whatever…
In fact, for the mk1 this is the only use of the USB port, I have strong feelings that this will remain it’s only use for mk2, as most updated features have been listed on Elektron.se…

3 Likes

I reckon you deserve the new OS now, surely they know who you are. there arent exactly tons of people out there making software for OT. You should drop elektron a message. Its for the greater good :raised_hands: Saying that, I dont know if the OS will drop in a couple of weeks and if that length of time even matters in this sort of thing

2 Likes

I’ll be honest: of all the countless things that could drive a person crazy on the OT - trigless trigs, scenes vs banks vs sample locks vs slices, the countless bugs - GAIN STAGING is my Achilles heel, the thing that makes me want to rid myself of it (won’t happen…just sayin…)

Normalize, change level sample attributes, lev vs amp vol, main mixer vol, dir vol, cue vol, w.t.f. vol.

I’d like a Merlin’s guide to gain staging. We were meant to get something from HQ - OT audio routing - buuuuuut…yeah…guess they got busy.

1 Like

7 Likes

I think my point is that even if Elektron specifically states “Hi-speed USB 2.0 port” in the specifications for the OT Mk2, that’s not necessarily a change of actual performance from the OT Mk1 but only a change of the description. I haven’t seen anything to suggest that the OT’s USB port operates at less than full USB 2 speed. Only the Analog Mk1 instruments required the reduced USB transfer speed because of interference with analog signals.

I don’t think USB speed is an issue for Octatrack, and I haven’t seen any actual claim by Elektron that USB speed is improved on OT Mk2 compared to OT Mk1.

There is no interaction between C6 and Octatrack. Nor any need for Elektron Transfer. There is no transfer by MIDI SysEx or SDS like the other Elektron instruments. Octatrack appears as a mass storage device when connected by USB to a computer. I’ve never seen anyone complain about the speed of transfer of files between OT and computer via USB.

5 Likes

At the opposite OT’s samples transfer seems to be clearly faster than other Elektron products…

2 Likes

I did list a config some posts down from the one you quoted, although it’s tailored for external gear and sampling…
I leave all those values the same and just mix with track level when needed, but yeah, I don’t import samples and have to deal with normalize or anything…

All I know is that I used to be a sound quality freak, and I can hear the OT sound, it’s not the greatest in the world, but it’s not bad,…
So when I hear people say it sounds bad, or the tone was sucked from their external source, I figure somethings not dialed in with their setup…
At worst if something sounds “excellent”, then comparing an OT to it the OT should sound “great” or at least “good”, but not bad… haha :smile_cat:

4 Likes

So that’s +24db ?

Oh, whoops…
I just checked and I guess that’s only when you trim in the audio editor, and then use “save selection as sample”. The new sample goes back to 0.0db in the attributes and you have to put it to +12 again…
Saving from record settings or attribute section maintains the +12db value…

2 Likes

I´m new to the Elektron World!

Can the 8 audio tracks and 8 MIDI tracks be used simultaneously?

1 Like

Yes.

4 Likes

I was thinking before the announcement that it doesnt make sense to leave put conditional trigs on OT being the main sequencer of the bunch… I was also thinking it doesnt make sense to completely leave out any way to track out the 8 tracks. Obviously OT came before overbridge and apparently it wasnt designed with overbridge in mind and therefore impossible. We were promised mark 2 was a hardware upgrade and we werent getting more features and it wasnt true, I might be being a greedy guts after being gifted with an amazing new feature but with overbridge for digitakt still lurking round the corner for some reason im starting to get suspicious. With the specification of it being a mechanical upgrade I am calling it, overbridge for OT mark 2 at the same time overbridge for digitakt drops. and the conditional trigs are here to keep mark 1ers happy. I completely doubted it but this was already way unexpected

Post 1500 :fist:

1 Like

I was thinking too.

1. There’s a lot of sh*t in this thread.
  2. This thread is OFF DA HOOK!

Elektron hype Bots in full effect.

5 Likes

The twelve disciples answered already :

Are you sure ? I believe in God, but I don’t believe this.

9 Likes

and the award for most awkward post goes to Clint Eastwood :vertical_traffic_light:

:wink:

2 Likes