Introducing Octatrack MKII

iā€™ll be keeping my DT, seems to do everything i need in a sampler for nowā€¦ really just klicked with it and lots more to do :sunglasses:

3 Likes

^ If Simon says it must be true (bad joke alert)

2 Likes

Two things though:

1. They havenā€™t confirmed any updates to the OS at all
  2. Weā€™re assuming the old hardware can cope with any updates they do implement
5 Likes

if the OT I price drops further, pick them up while you can :smile: what a stealā€¦

2 Likes

I have to say it looks super fucking beautifulā€¦

As an OT owner Iā€™m tornā€¦ iā€™d like to upgrade since i HATE the OT screen, but itā€™ll be hard to get much $ for one used now with the MKII available.

Called it back in the Whats Next thread :smiley_cat: Wouldnā€™t be surprised to see the other boxes get the same treatment. The DT UI is mint Iā€™m still stoked they are revamping in this direction. Still, would have been cool to see some improvements thrown into the mix.

Iā€™ve asked several times about trig conditions and sequencer now and have been ignored over other less pressing questions. No pun intended

Lame. Luke warm. If you gonna do a new Octa then do a solid one with OB, better resolution better workflow new OS , new effects and ffs get rid of the tedious parts/pattern not-work-flow and have all sounds saved in the patterns

Sorry Elektron i just think you are trying to make money instead of really killing it like you should.
Digitakt > this one

2 Likes

yea I would expect some fixes (not familiar with OT so dunno whatā€™s broken) but thatā€™s itā€¦

for me the bigger question is, how long until the entire line of devices is updated to the new UI parts? Rytm & A4 would benefit from an improved USB isolation while thatā€™s happening (iirc thatā€™s whatā€™s preventing USB 2 speed), also better pads for Rytmā€¦

4 Likes

I was under the impression A4 + AR were USB 2 ?

Yep from the company prespective thats rightā€¦butā€¦ from the costumer prespective??
Who will be buying a product that from that strategy you point is just draining old hardware with a facelift ā€¦ until OT2 comes out?

Clavia do this all the time with their Nord ex line but at least they normaly increase their product memory to create a perception that youre getting a better deal than the previous versionā€¦

To me one of the biggest improvements of this new UI is simply playing in the dark.

6 Likes

not 100% sure but iirc itā€™s USB2 hardware, but due to some interference USB speeds are limitedā€¦ so both audio streaming and midi could have way more bandwidth with some shielding revision. dunno, maybe itā€™s not so simple.

1 Like

Nope theyā€™re USB 1, hence the track number limitations.

In no universe is the digitakt > the octatrack

6 Likes

Pul up the OT MK I and MK II panels side by side, thereā€™s quite a ton of differences in the layout.

Theyā€™re actually USB2 but throttled to USB 1.1 equivalent speed through necessity

4 Likes

ok. didnt read about that :frowning:
wellā€¦ its a great machine as it isā€¦ still i love the trig conditions and the quatize functions on the analog ones bettter :-))
overbridge is really not needed for meā€¦ fingers crossed :-))ā€¦

1 Like

very disappointing if it has the same OS. no improvement on sample handling, resampling etc, which is imho a pain.
I donā€™t care about OB, but you could make the workflow so much better!

Personally I find OB more of a nuisance than anything else, and trig conditions are of really limited value to me (i do like Fill though).

What I really was hoping for was some more machines and more/better effects, etc.etc.

I havenā€™t personally used the Digitakt, but is it necessarily preferable to have the light-up buttons vs the old button + LED? Thereā€™s something about the fact that youā€™re covering up the light that seems kind of weirdā€¦ if your finger is over the button you canā€™t tell if itā€™s lit or notā€¦