Introducing Digitakt

Limitations are expensive :wink:

6 Likes

They should have labeled the inputs A & B in that case then, like on the OT. Having only mono samples is a serious oversight IMO, especially if we can use digirytm as a soundcard and send stereo audio in and out via OBā€¦ makes 0 sense tbh

1 Like

Yeah, not a total dealbreaker for me but I really hope they can make track stealing for stereo sample playback an option.

proper round robin would also be nice, either via slices or by sample select. Using an LFO to do it is not idealā€¦

3 Likes

I thinkā€™s thatā€™s exactly the point.

Also the max. sampling memory of 64mb per project tells us that.

Maybe thereā€™s another Digi machine around the corner, DigiReel, DigiTape whatever.

I think the DT is not intended for those are looking for a sampler like the OT

It is as they have presented it intended as a Drum Machine.
Of course you are free in the way you are like to use it.

I see it more as an MD UW - from which they took the sampling part and upgraded it,
or the sampler part of the AR. They are aiming for new customers, people who find the current line of machines expensive but are looking for a quality beat machine.

And of course the sequencer

I have both the OT and AR + A4 and AH

I do not need another stereo sampler. I rather would like to see that they add different type of sampling machines inside the DT, each with itā€™s own character, sound/modulation/controls etc, would be fun if the add some really crazy machines. Also sample editing pages would be very welcome.

Of course the fun with sampling is, you can put in every sound you want.

You canā€™t compare it with the MPC Live, thatā€™s a totally different kind of beast.
Itā€™s seems the MPC Live has a lot more to offer for the money,
but in the end itā€™s all about what you like and want to do with it, what do you prefer,
itā€™s all about taste and most of it that you have fun with it.

Personally I see the MPC live nothing more than a DAW in a box rather than an inspirational instrument, which I think at that point the DT will score a lot more points.

MPC Live = Practical Machine
DT = Fun Machine

ā€œDT = fun machineā€

Iā€™d rather wait to see if there are performance controlsā€¦ For now we donā€™t know if there are ā€œscenesā€, macro controlsā€¦

maybe intuitive and straightforward, but for live fun I donā€™t know!

1 Like

iā€™ll be fine with mono channels, tho they probably should be makin em mono/stereo as you please in this day and age.
that goes for the scabby ram too. should be a gig per project at least.

No performance controls according to Simon in IRC.

I love how everyone has all these plans for something they barely know anything about.

11 Likes

If there isnt at least Machinedrum-esque ctrl all function button vibes its useless to me.
I still gots faith.

1 Like

Yeah, it might still have some groovy tricks up its sleeve

Overbridge can only handle 8 monochannels per device (16bit 48KHz), so thereā€™s that.
With overbridge you can enable the stereo inputs and record into your daw (in stereo).
You can (probably) pan each mono sample in a stereo field, output to the stereo outputs
You can run each mono sample through 2 stereo send fx, output to the stereo outputs
-mostly same as Analog Rytm!

2 Likes

MPCs are VERY fun. I still use my 1000 regularly its a great easy to use and fun thing. Also you have less tendency to get stuck in ā€œloopitisā€ due to having up to 999 bars per sequence.

2 Likes

I dont understand all the bad rep wrt to ā€œloopitisā€ these days. Some of us like 1 bar loops for our techno for example. Itā€™s one of the oldest tricks in the book to ā€œdecorateā€ a track with a lot of events, fills etc, just trying to hide the fact that there is not a single solid idea present on a track. For this reason, Iā€™ll rather take a catchy 1 bar loop over weak overproduced shtick any day.

And not discussing anyoneā€™s music in particular, just theoretically/academicallyā€¦ And yeah, a weak 1 bar loop is still weak, talking about the good stuff here.

Sorry off topic I know but this has been inside me for a while - had to rant a bit :diddly:

3 Likes

I am not saying that you canā€™t have fun with a MPC Live
I have owned a MPC500 for a year or so, with which I certainly had good fun.

Itā€™s just that I like the Elektron approach more, itā€™s just a matter of personal taste.

Right now I am really into the DT + Norddrum 3p
Of course it depends on what DT eventually has to offer and how the 2 will work together,
so I have to try it out by thenā€¦ and we shall see.

But itā€™s good fun speculating.

When I talk about ā€œloopitisā€ as an issue, Iā€™m certainly talking about getting a 4 bar loop that sounds great but then being unable to compose a full and interesting track from there (mutes and fills not being enough to keep it interesting). In an MPC style linear sequencer this happens less often.

As someone who loves minimal and old school industrial (surgeon/regis/BMB) style techno its not always a problem, but if youā€™re doing IDM/Ambient or classical/pop composition it most definitely is.

4 Likes

Always liked the look of the 1k but thought the 60mb of ram per project would be limiting, especially for longer sets. I know lots of folks run a looper or similar to deal with the 3+ min delay when loading projects. Ever been an issue for you?

1 Like

Thanks for elaborating. Totally understand what you mean.

1 Like

Mines got 128mb of ram. I use mostly drum one shots with musical ā€œChopsā€ or single tones so I tend to not run out of ram even on big projects really. If I was using long ambient hits or similar a lot it might tend to more I guess.

1 Like

build in TIMESTRETCH PLEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSEEE.

1 Like