Introducing Digitakt

Hi Simon, just signed up to chat with the rest of the community GAS-ing for the Digitakt. Can you give us any information on roughly how long it will be before the second batch of Digitakt’s are available if we were not lucky enough to score one of the originals? Right now it seems I am #18 on a list of 15! Thanks!

1 Like

Second that question. Is it possible to play it polyphonically with an external midi controller? Does it have Midi Learn like the Octa?-:wink:

Oh, I love me some FM!
I bet you can get some really tight and accurate modulations, due to the LFO and filter being digital. Digitally-controlled analog (AR/A4) is great, but not as “pure” as digital on digital :floppy_disk:

1 Like

Slightly, according to the specs of the Analog Heat, dimensions are W215mm x D184mm x H63 but Digitakt’s dimension read as W215mm x D176mm x H63mm. Those small measurements can make a big difference.

this pleases me

3 Likes

(according to mail from from my supplier) First shipment is due in june, i hope some of the users that goes to Elektron tomorrow for the digitakt demonstration in Gøteborg will uncover more news.

hi Simon, will there be a transpose function for the midi tracks?
(that was always a feature i missed with OT)

Right, sorry - the jacks are what is making the Heat “deeper” since they are protruding. However, the cases are the exact same size.

1 Like

Elektron confirmed the cases are the same, with the same holes underneath. Had me worried for a minute then!!

:kissing_heart:

thanks to @Ess and @olle for chiming in (given that y’all are probably a bit busy?) :beers:

5 Likes

Hey Simon, when would you guess the DT will be shipped to european shops, would you reckon the next week or so, or would it be more like the very end of the month that youre aiming for?

NB: this isnt going to be a promise, just so everyone is aware of that. just a guess :slight_smile:

Ah yeah😅 thanks Simon!!!

1 Like

Yes, sorry Fraction😆

1 Like

Stoked.

hate to be a negative voice here, but I’m honestly a little disappointed in the product & business development strategy implicit in (a) the design of the Digitakt and (b) the discontinued feature development on the Octatrack.

conditional trigs and parameter locking of program change are pretty advanced features that would be right at home in the OT, which has drawn and kept owners who are happy to tolerate its complexity to get its power in sound shaping and sampling. on those fronts, the Digitakt is massively stripped down by comparison (which seems to be resonating perfectly well with a wide market, as I’m sure Elektron expected), and yet it has these advanced sequencing features.

bottom line, the greater power in sound shaping, fx, sampling, arranging, LFOs, and scene morphing will continue draw a certain person to the OT. I find it hard to imagine that if those are highly prized features a customer is going to be swayed to get the Digitakt for these sequencing perks, and likewise, another sort of person who really prefers the easier UI of the Digitakt and its cheaper price tag will continue to be drawn to the Digitakt. so I wouldn’t worry about cannibalization if the OT could possibly see them added. but I find it very hard to imagine anyone owning both a Digitakt and an OT and feeling good about that, so this feels kind of like a light slap in the face to the segment of Elektron’s customers that need and are willing to pay for the OT’s power.

anyway, this Digitakt looks pretty awesome for what it is - elektron did a really great job on this when considered on its own and not in context of the OT and its history. if I hadn’t already found so much unique magic in the OT, I’d not feel torn about this at all.

6 Likes

Thanks for all your info, Simon. The future looks awesome from where I’m sitting.

2 Likes

That sounds just great. Can’t wait to try.

Is there a way to have legato notes on a single midi track?

I’ll be sequencing monosynths and use legato/glide so much that having two midi tracks for overlapping notes is really a turn off… You guys mentioned trackers earlier, the way trackers do legato just not sending a “note off” message is sooo straighforward. Doesn’t A4 and OT have a legato on/off parameter that works just like this?

Hope this isn’t just another nonsense request from me. :unamused:

1 Like

:rocket::monkey::rainbow: :thup:

1 Like