Introducing Digitakt

dunno - noticed that the velocity control on the trig page was labelled ‘volume’, fwiw… just a software label tho…

I’d guess that you totally can play with velocity via MIDI in… but probably will affect volume only.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the turmeric!

1 Like

no that doesn’t solve the problem because i still need the sample tracks to be the normal resolution

1 Like

My guess for the Master page: among other things…mix levels for all trax on the same page! :smiley:

7 Likes

Man, of they included a tuner to check samples- that would be cake to me

1 Like

Objectively speaking: the elektron business model is not a conspiracy, it is a commercial business model. Functions, which overlap with other machines, are clearly left out of each machine. This is fact. People will hound on about it in order to get os updates - like the AR 1.30. For better or for worse, people will either like the business model, or deal with it, or move on from it.

On the AR I’m fairly active about getting around it and hence deal with it! via STROM, sds drop and abelton. (Sampling, Crtl all, time stretch, sample transfer)
All Kinda like in the spirit of jail breaking an iPhone.

2 Likes

this businessmodel sucks, I think
not so much because now I need to buy all their stuff
but because I need to have so much equipment in front of me

I prefer only one or 2 boxes
with the same workflow
with as less cables as possible
with as less different workflows as possible

7 Likes

I’m not convinced that they’re solely trying to prevent features from overlapping. I believe them when they say that the Analogs work a different way than midi. Obviously the better the box is, the more it should sell. I think with the DT they had to budget out how much to put into the box to make it appealing vs making it affordable(while also being successful)

all digitakt could be build into rytm, don’t even need a flashy screen for that
rytm could have midi out
even a rytm as a flagship product & digitakt a step in product would be fine…

1 Like

Well i must personally say that i’ve fallen in love with the Digitakt.

i get the feeling Elektron are really focusing on realtime performance with the DK.

very cool.

the workflow is slightly different with all Elektron units, that is to be expected. takes years just to learn one unit in many ways. the adventure is the destination i guess.

3 Likes

The cntrl all provides performance tricks without the(to some) tedious preparatory stages of designing performance macros. I think that’s an excellent course of action.

This whole “user-friendly” method, however, invites some anxiety in regards to when they return to a synth unit. I’m fearing the transition from ND2 to ND3 where they combined/removed customability with the sound design in the effort to provide such a user friendly UI. I wonder if they’ll go that route after the A4/AK while some loved it for its great synth possibilities others sold theirs because they couldn’t gel with it. Hashtag-anxious…

2 Likes

If you prefer one or two boxes, then why not stick with just that? No one but you can decide what you need.

3 Likes

I think they’ll probably just implement a better method of setting up things like performance macros. Making it as simple as setting up OT scenes would be great. I rarely use them on AK cos it’s so tedious. Hopefully we’ll also see ‘patch morphing’ on a synth too.

I get the feeling Elektron pride themselves on being pretty ‘deep’, I don’t think they’ll over-simplify the next ‘big boxes’, just make them more streamlined. I think the £600 boxes are to cater to the ‘simplified elektron’ market?

Maybe we’ll even see something more knobby? Was on Volca Keys last night and I actually don’t mind those small knobs at all. Kind of prefer them in some ways to Elektron knobs. Would love a crazy A4 sized box covered in tons of those and slider etc! Or a next gen AK with full size knobs for all tracks simultaneously…

2 Likes

i honestly hope they re-release the Monomachine Keys although fascinated to see what they do next. A joystick would be cool, maybe a roll bar like the Korg Prophecy, a Ribbon and 3 soapstone mod wheels

1 Like

You really don’t have to buy them all tho. That’s kind of on you.
I have a4 and octatrack and could do almost everything I want on those 2 with some guitar on top. Now I also want digitakt to make my life a little easier when it comes to drums. But really if you decided on your own limitations and stuck to them you could very easily work with just the 2 machines for sure!

You could even probably make techno with only a rytm tbh if that’s how stripped down you would want to be.

4 Likes

Will it have Q.Start?

I think it’s a bit of a waiting game at moment. See what the next big boxes bring. Good chance you’ll be able to pick a couple of them and be set. Obvs you can already do that with something like an OT/RYTM + A4 combo but I understand that seeing the DT it’s tempting to add it for the new UI and the little touches not available elsewhere. Hopefully that stuff will also be included in an OT2 or whatever. I’m same as you. Really i only want to deal with one box for each job. I’ll prob grab DT even tho I have OT, but that isnt ideal. Space/cables/project housekeeping/sample management etc. It’s not really even a money thing.

One of the things that I am most excited about is the simplified file structure and better UI on the bigger crisper screen. A few months ago I was diagnosed with a rare retinal disease and am now legally blind. The synth focused boxes are no problem for me to navigate, but the depths of the OT file management have become a lot harder for me to get around. I am hoping the DT with its streamlined workflow will allow me to work with samples as easily as I can work with the synths🙈

7 Likes

Yep DT looks snappy :slight_smile: Hoping it has folder options too tho. Like I guess a lot of people are like me and have ton of vintage drum machine samples etc. Be nice to be able to browse/load those from folders, not just a huuuge list of sounds.

2 Likes