Introducing Digitakt

Despite North Korea going nuclear and Trump shutting down the U.S., it still takes a product launch to really upset an Elektronaut.

25 Likes

The feature of being able to send separate tracks to separate pedals is pretty locked away too no? Requiring OB premium…

Yeah agreed. MPC Live comes with V2 akai software for FREE. And that’s full on Daw software. DT and MPC Live are looking like total polar opposites in terms of bang for buck. God knows how expensive an OT2 would be under this kind of pricing structure. Like someone else mentioned, this feels like ‘in app purchase’ culture, screw that on a piece of gear this expensive…

2 Likes

Does it time stretch?

2 Likes

:smile:

Nails it !

4 Likes

Apologies in that this has likely been covered in this thread ad nauseum, possibly by me - akai’s recent track record is not encouraging.
On the other hand, as elektron folk, we pretty much have a good idea of what’s coming at a minimum.

1 Like

Normally I’d agree. But overbridge has had its fair share of Akai style delays/issues.
And way more workflow/feature info available for the mpc when pre-orders went live than there is for the DT atm. I still don’t even know for sure that it does internal resampling, timestreching, slicing etc…

2 Likes

I wonder if they are making last minute OS tweaks.

While we wait for those stats, anyone with an OT essentially has 2DTs + quite a bit more.
Edit: except the OB premium thingy. Wait. That’s pretty cool to have for a sampler, but I’ll probably wait for an OT 2.

1 Like

so if digitakt is a failure, sales wise, which it might be, can we please have a machinedrum mk3 black edition with 64 meg sampling, chromatic, and a one gig drive and usb?

6 Likes

Seeing the digitakt drop at this price with so few (apparent) features has somehow kinda made me forgive Korg for being so stingy with the Korg es2. Looks like a bargain now!?

I love Elektron sequencers but I think I can honestly say I’d enjoy adding the es2 to my current setup more and messing with samples on that than this new Elektron box. Which is weird, cos I was hating pretty hard on the Es2 til recently… Thinking about it now tho it’s like a feature fest in comparison…

Super cheap too and apparently has ableton integration and some free editor software etc. Plus ton of effects, poly tracks, expandable memory, portable, stereo samples, x/y pad, automation, velocity sensitive pads, more tracks than DT, bunch of other cool stuff… Looks like a killer deal all of a sudden…

3 Likes

I owned a Tanzbar for awhile. While it does a few neat things, there are mainly two things that makes it shine - the way it sounds, the way it plays.

Neither can be fully understood until you’ve tried it. You can listen to streams and look at videos, but it’s not until you put a pair of headphones on and build your first pattern, that you realise how absolutely amazing it sounds, if you’re into that sort of groove.

And granted, not everyone thinks its workflow makes sense, but if you do, if you use the Tanzbar version of preliminary parameter locks to work your patterns, and if you like it, nothing else compares.

Those two things can’t be explained in a review, nor in a post like this, nor in a video. Your fingers, ears and brain can understand this when you’ve tried it. Not before.

If the DigiTakt makes my samples sound great and my patterns sound tight, and I just love the way it makes my fingers move when I work it, I don’t care about the rest.

And nor will any of you, if the above statement falls out to be true.

You’re going to have to choose if it’s worth your cash. But you make that choice every time you buy a new piece of gear. So it’s not like you haven’t been in this position before, unless you’re totally new to electronic music (and if you are, I envy you for the amazing adventure you’ve got ahead of you).

Now, ask yourself this - why do you presume that the DigiTakt won’t be an absolutely amazing piece of gear?

Given the track record of Elektron’s hardware, what’s most likely? That the DigiTakt’s going to be great, or that it won’t be great? That you don’t know it till you’ve played it, or that you do know it even if you haven’t played it?

Of the above, what’s most likely?

10 Likes

Because its the first one that is intentionally crippled so as to create a tier system of entry level vs pro user boxes and a connected pricing structure…

I’m sure it’ll be good, but not getting any of the ‘wow’ vibe of their previous stuff.

Why so few (no?) insert fx on this thing anyway? You’d think a £700+ digital drum machine/sampler in 2017 would have a whole suite of them… Like an updated version of the OT fx options. The cynic in me can’t help thinking it’s cos there’s probably an Elektron digital fx box coming soon that they don’t want to overlap with :confused:

Is reverb only available as a shared send? No per track insert options like OT spring reverb?

its gonna be an amazing li’l box, pretty much exactly what Id been hoping elektron would release.
my only issue is the increased price from 650€ to 769€ and the OB stealth tax on top of that to get individual outs. seems synical to me.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s so much a flaw from the product strategy, as it is from the communication strategy. All of this makes sense, from a development point of view. It’s how you present it to your target audience, and your timing, and what you say and what you don’t, that decides how we’ll react - not the content itself. Content is rarely controversial enough to spark these kind of threads on its own. It’s the way it plays us, that makes us react.

A few basic rules of engagement, when it comes to communication:
Say it like it is.

If you can’t, don’t say anything.

If you must, be clear that you don’t know.

Hire a writer. Not an average one. But the best one.

And you’re good.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s partly true but still feels over-priced now at the new price + ob premium… Not cool to feel like we’re being taken for as much £ as possible :confused:

3 Likes

Actually I just bought Polyplex which is an amazing Reaktor based instrument/drum sampler and it sounds really good because of layering sounds. Then there are the hundred or so other drum samplers that have more simpler functionality. So what does Digitakt do that these free or cheap samplers don’t do? I just don’t get it. I have an OT that has 10x the functionality of the Digitakt and a second hand OT costs the same as a new Digitakt.
Wouldn’t it be great if Elektron started innovating again? And you know a lot of the negativity is based on the ridiculous advertising campaign that oversold the product.

5 Likes

:point_up: :eye: _ :eye: :point_up_2:

I saw what you did there…

1 Like

I’m not arguing the point and totally respect where you’re coming from. Part of me feels the same. But the idea of price and value, comes from your idea of what the DigiTakt is.

And you just don’t know yet. You haven’t tried it. Maybe, when you do, you just realise that even though it can’t do all that much, the way it sounds and plays, offers such tremendous value that it’s worth it.

When the Rytm was announced, no one talked about its compressor and the way it glued stuff together, how excellent the engine just made the mix tight and warm. Yet, now, I’d say that’s one of its most compelling features. It just makes it all sound so bloody great. If I ever bought one, it would be for that reason first and foremost - that it just makes my stuff stick together and sound great, in a way I can’t find on other piece of gear, right now.

Maybe the DigiTakt has the same effect on your upcoming brilliant drum patterns. It just brings it all together in a way that even makes Daft Punk look like rookies.

1 Like

Heh :slight_smile: