Introducing Digitakt

yeh well i doubt you are alone… which is why the DT exists

OT isnt for everyone - thats for sure

1 Like

Thanks for the summary :slight_smile:

The thing holding me back from OT is its workflow, buttons and screen in combination with the price tag. I’m going to hope for a OT mkii and will enjoy my digitakt until then :slight_smile:

yea welllll.

DT has the hi-res controls - the precise editing is really nice.

Conditional sequencing, esp for MIDI. Also out to USB…

Even tho the sound engine is pretty similar to sample playback on Rytm, it sounds quite different. Would love some straight comparison, using the same sample/settings/sequence in both machines actually…

For some, hardware aesthetics don’t play such a huge role… but I imagine if you learn the DT inside out (shouldn’t take long!) it’s gonna be more of an adorable little companion… UI is just nice.

3 Likes

I tried live recording in chromatic mode earlier but when I played it back there was no sound. The trigs had been recorded to the sequencer but there was no playback. Any suggestions?

It’s not so much about esthetics as it is about how the OT works. Really it’s workflow. Part of that is the ui, and hardware I guess yeah. I imagine I could work with it, but DT has a couple of features I really like, conditional tries is one.

Overbridge support is another big plus for me. As recording all 8 tracks into a DAW is something I really need.

But the things you point out do make a lot of sense, and I’m hoping a OT mkii will be made some day. Let’s hope so :slight_smile:

1 Like

15 posts were split to a new topic: Digitakt “Kit” Structure. How is it different?

Technically it’s 4 sequential CC messages, it’s very likely that those devices set up 2 automatically behind the scenes allowing you to set the destination with the other pair :thup:

2 Likes

It’s never even crossed my mind to switch to DT from OT… :happy: But I’m me… :smile_cat:
It has become my new morning crossword puzzle to solve riddles from a strange manual to a device I’ve never seen… :panda: I am interested in it out of curiosity but if I ever get one it won’t be anytime soon and it will join the OT instead of replace it… :monkey_face:

3 Likes

sorry, if it is in the manual, but the word trig is mentioned more than 300 times in it… :slight_smile:
Is there an information available, how many trig conditions can be stacked on one step?

That’s simple, it’s one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

muhaha … :slight_smile:
that is simple…
So I will not be able to make a larger reverb AND a filter setting on one step?

ah that you can do for sure! that’s a parameter lock. The condition is basically just another parameter which you can also lock to a step.

4 Likes

oh I am sorry, I mixed up the words… ok, thx :slight_smile:

No Kits banks that can be used across projects is very weird design decision on a drum machine.

You can plock Fx sends only, not Fx parameters.

More for advanced users but if you plug DT midi out to midi in, you can plock Fx with midi tracks, and have 2 trigs per step. :wink:

But individually they lack basic core functions that should be on machines that cost what they do. I’m tired of Elektron’s business model.

Not everyone wants to take their laptop or other external gear to gigs so that their Digitakt can remember pattern chains.

Elektron should open their eyes to who’s using their gear. We’re not all DJ’s or EDM musicians.

1 Like

So has anyone received their DT from a reseller yet or are all the units we’re seeing in the wild coming from orders placed directly through Elektron? And on a more selfish note, any feedback you have from Canadian stores would be nice, I got my pre-order at Moogaudio MTL and as of yesterday they had no dates…

2 Likes

This may be controversial, but I have to say I like the current structure in the DT. It may be lacking some features (e.g. the ongoing kit discussion) but it is a hell of a lot simpler than the other boxes and I enjoy that.

3 Likes

I’m also interested in that Kit issue… I have a question, sorry if it has been answered already but:
would I be able to connect a MIDI controller like a Launchcontrol XL directly to the USB port of the Digitakt in standalone? my guess is the answer is no, as it’s probably only for data transfer from a computer and it won’t power USB devices…

on a sidenote, as an Octatrack user I’m one of those that is considering selling my Octatrack to get an MPC Live, and maybe a Digitakt later on… I feel like Live will suit my workflow better and, although I’ll sure miss some of Octatracks features (3xLFO’s per track, 2fx slots per track, etc.), I never was a heavy user of scenes, for example… and Live beeing an in-depth machine, I would love to have a counterpart with much more intuitive/fast worflow, more apt for jamming and creating without much preparation… I remember specifically trying to set up my Octatrack to play along with a friend who has a Machinedrum - by the time I set up sample chains, etc, the thrill was a bit gone… I feel like Digitakt might be a more focused (although limited, I know) instrument - and a nice Heat companion :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Could you not just mimic the DT workflow on OT in that scenario? Ie. No sample chains…

‘I’d rather have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it’, or whatever that True Romance quote is :wink:

2 Likes