Introducing Digitakt

I’m not familiar with conditional trigs. Could you feed a MIDI track back to the DT (externally) to change patterns with a conditional trig, so pattern A repeats 4 times then triggers pattern B that repeats twice, etc.? Essentially build the song within the patterns. Not ideal but might be a workaround.

I can’t believe that the pattern chaining is intended to be the “replacement” for song mode. The pattern chaining is an expanded version of what’s on the MD and feels like a basic, expected feature rather than something new and replace-y.

Founders KBS by chance? :beers:

Electrons are great for jamming and improv, a lot of users switch patterns manually and hang on certain parts for various lengths of time and then switch. With practice it’s not that hard to remember some structure and recreate it manually. You can build your progressions in sequence, A1,A2,A3,etc… if you want so easy to chain back together… Not trying to defend lack of anything, just saying what you can do… I feel like most users don’t even use song mode, Elektrons have a certain dynamic flow that yields great to to recreating structure manually and taking tangents here and there, making chains on the fly is a great way to rebuild things similarly enough that it’s the same tune, but different and unique to that specific moment… :monkey_face:

8 Likes

Close!

:smile:

1 Like

This is basically How I work With Trig Conditions you don’t need to make chains to make a pattern chains as much. I never used song mode. I would maybe do a chain now and then. For the most part I’d build out each pattern with the idea I’d manually switch it. With the scene and performance modes on the RYTM it made the need for chains even less for me.

2 Likes

I believe that should be possible. Like, I don’t see anything which would technically prevent this from working. Using program changes.

For this (play pattern B after 4 loops) you can simply use a modulo condition 4:4, which trigger only on the 4th loop.

Should be possible to go completely crazy with multiple probability-based program changes in a pattern as well… see here: Generative, mutating pattern chains

4 Likes

Yeah makes sense to me. And if it works there’s that “crazy” element there that isn’t present in crusty old song mode.

Just have to remember to mute your pattern change MIDI track if you’re tweaking.

2 Likes

this sounds to me way, way better than a song mode … I’m so excited!

3 Likes

yep! ton of customization options there…
another thing you could do. There’s a condition named FILL. it triggers when fill mode is activated, which you can quantize per pattern revolution…

So, you could program a nice fill break, and also put down a program change with the fill condition. Activate fill mode, the device will play your fancy break, and then switch to the next pattern.

4 Likes

From the quickstart guide about conditional trigs:
“A:B A sets how many times the pattern plays before the trig condition is true. B sets how many times the pattern plays before the count is reset and starts over again. This then repeats indefinitely. For example, with a setting of 2:4, the trig condition will be true the second time the pattern plays and then the sixth, the tenth, and so on. If you have the setting 3:5 the trig condition will be true the third time the pattern plays and then the eight, the thirteenth, and so on.”

DT doesn’t have that…

think so… yeah, exactly!! want to try it with quite short patterns… and then probability-chain them.

1 Like

I owned an Ibanez Musician fretless bass long ago. Great instrument. I wouldn’t draw an analogy between it and the lack of basic features on the DT though.

Put the features in the unit and let the end user decide whether or not he or she wishes to use them.

I use instruments for music production. The lack of features in an electronic instrument usually makes it less productive for me to use.

1 Like

I’m a singer/guitarist/synths. I can’t be clicking buttons every time I want to change a pattern during a live show.

3 Likes

midi foot switches are your friend.

4 Likes

still no update on the shipping :frowning:

Note!
Due to holidays, Elektron HQ is closed from Wednesday May 24th until Sunday May 28th.

We will be able to reply to you starting Monday May 29th.

To each their own, I’m all live loops of synths guitar and vocals, I barely even use chains, all manual… I don’t expect everyone will want to do it that way and I’m not looking for an argument, just my 2 cents… :slight_smile:

Edit: don’t mean to be short, but short on time… I can explain in a positive way how it’s nice and I prefer it in another thread maybe sometime if anyone wants, really I’m trying to be helpful and shed light on how for many of us a song mode/arranger is not preferred…

1 Like

I removed frets from a 12 string guitar. Really interesting, but I need a regular guitar as I’ll need OT with DT. :wink:

1 Like

Tilliander on DT FB group posted a pic of his fresh DT, from a hotel in Gothenburg… presumably picked up from HQ… he also posted “shipping today”

2 Likes