Introducing Digitakt

Got to admit I am somewhat underwhelmed. I’ve not yet cancelled my preorder but must admit I am thinking about it. I have my OT and still tons and tons to learn on it, yet every time I switch it on I have major league fun. Maybe I should just stick with that for now and maybe get a cheaper more basic drum machine and some decent monitors (mine are crappy).

3 Likes

Yeah it’s hard to justify for anyone owning an OT and on a budget. Could grab an Es2 + microgranny + Beatstep pro/fx pedal for same price (once you’ve paid for OB pro)… Doesn’t really stack up very well looking at it like that.

I went through this decision process, for me there is too much overlap with OT and have chosen to spend that money elsewhere on something more unique, fills a gap in my setup.

1 Like

Can’t understand why there isn’t better communication on the non-availability of overbridge. Still being trailed heavily on the Digitakt page as a feature… I know this won’t be he biggest deal for everyone but the digital outs and soundcard capability while travelling are a big part of the DT deal for me here.
Any one from Elektron care to share what ‘later this year’ means?

1 Like

They seem to be dragging their feet on OS updates all over the product line. I hope they do some updates soon, I.e. bug fixes on OT which has been promised a while, some of the introduced issues on a4 and rytm with last release.

1 Like

Bazinga. This should work, and I think it can get very advanced tbh.

8 Likes

i am … and if everything goes well I get additionally a nice sampler for free :grin:

yes you could have the same by using lot’s and lot’s of patterns - but as I’m refusing to us the song mode or chains (as those can’t be saved) cond. trigs are perfect to add variation, randomness and what not in just one pattern … that’s perfect for me and much, much easier to overview as a couple of patterns

That’s the worry. Who knows how long before OB is released and working well?
Great drum sampler in the meantime, but I crave those individual outs and the portable interface functionality.

1 Like

hmm - gotta say I’m a little disappointed by what I’ve read in the DT manual…

The Master menu is clearly an afterthought, replicating what can be done elsewhere - changing track levels is hardly ‘mastering’ and why allocate a priority menu interface button for such a limited series of options? We’ve all seen the Cenk / Cuckoo SB17 video where he’s clearly hinting at something significant for the master button that he’s seen in development - otherwise why tease us with this?

Elsewhere Cenk suggests that other filter types will be available yet the manual merely suggests stock lo hi types as per what was shown previously.

In one SB17 video Cenk suggests that there will be new better faster ways to create songs from patterns, but clearly the pattern chaining ‘feature’ as described in the manual is unfinished - you can’t even save it to disc which seems bizarre for such an expensive product.

Cenk also thought we could have 256 samples per project yet the manual states 128 per project. You can see the general drift here…

The midi implementation seems good but it does seem a shame that you can’t send midi directly from the internal midi tracks to the internal sound tracks - which would give us some room to overcome the limitations of mono and only having one LFO per audio track.

And finally it seems clear that the paid for DT version of Overbridge is not yet ready at the DT’s launch which given the issues plaguing the history of Overbridge is a concern for potential buyers.

I wonder what happened, maybe the dev team got dragged off to the next Elektron product…

Sure it’s a boutique product and is priced as such - but at nearly 80% of the price of a 5 year old OT it seems to offer significantly less in terms of core functionality.

12 Likes

Personally, I want to have control of what I am playing instead of having patterns randomly play different sequences…

Be nice if the sample transfer code was made available on GitHub like Syro for the volca sample - or is it just midi sds?

What do you mean by the “paid version of overbridge”? Is the free version available? I was thinking there is no overbridge at all atm.

First time we see it sending midi notes to external gear (Erebus).

2 Likes

Sonicstate preview

edit: too slow

1 Like

sorry, just saw it go up

1 Like

randomly? You can control it very precise what you want. This hasn’t much to do with random .

“What happened” seems obvious in hindsight. Elektron was working on a new sampler/sequencer with a lot of cool features believing they were (still) way ahead of the game. Then they suddenly realized that Akai was presenting an extremely advanced sampler at a very fair price at NAMM. So, in shear panic they presented a mockup behind glass at NAMM which didn’t make a sound, in an attempt to prevent hoards of Elektron-users from immediately jumping ship (rumors were that the MPC would be relatively immediately available). Elektron had after all owned the cool-sound-gizmo-in-a-box market by themselves for many years now, but has been relying on their dedicated fans showing patience and understanding - even when delivering products with quirks, warts and lacking features at a premium price in an ever more “modular” fashion (“how 'bout an octatrack with that A4 so that you can actually sequence midi?”). But now someone was threatening the whole closed circuit philosophy, because why would anyone in their right mind buy multiple Elektrons when one single box does the same stuff and more - and even includes a 6 hour battery (!) AND at a lower price than one flagship Elektron? So now Elektron is racing against time, praying the MPC will have lots of bugs and frustrated users, while getting their by all standards lesser (except possibly the p-lock-feature) machine to market. Sorry if this seems like a rant, but this is really my impression. Maybe I’m wrong, and the Elektron “magic” will make this thing shine.

6 Likes

it was said in sooperbooth videos I think.

I don’t think product like this can be build so fast. They are probably working on that for more then 6 months before the announcement.