Introducing Digitakt

I can’t imagine parameter slides with the midi if it’s defo not on the audio.
Another painful reminder.

Man, we really should swap stories. I’ve got three kids, too. For me, portability and battery power are killer features, not just convenient but essential, in the long run.

3 Likes

this is a good addition to the dark trinity then. if you wanna stick to the same tempo, make dt a slave, when you wanna change tempo per pattern, make dt the master.

1 Like

Yep. And don’t forget slides and lfos send a lot of midi informations. Midi bandwidth is limited, you can have stuck notes problems or worse if you send too much midi messages.
Maybe on a computer or via Usb its different.

1 Like

Preach! This whole thread just astounds me the little I’ve kept up.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Join us at Helsinki Synthetic!

Imagine how many people passed on the OT after spending a few minutes with and deciding it’s not “intuitive enough” All instruments have learning curves and should challenge you in some way.

7 Likes

The screen was one part of it, and also the user interface didn’t make sense at all with first glance. I still don’t know how I could change quantization options, or quantize. I am very much sure it’d start making sense with a good reading of the manual and digging in a bit, but I’m not entirely sure that the Live would be a better option than Ableton + pad controller, for me.

I’m into hardware for the hardware experience. Immediacy, jammability (sorry for that word) and feeling like an actual musical instrument are what keep me buying these boxes. I think the Digitakt had that going for it over the Live. But even if I brought the comparison up myself, I do realize it’s kind of besides the point – seems like both units will sell really, really well and find their way to users who really appreciate each machine for what it is.

5 Likes

yeah, fair point, and my account is the result of 20 minutes with the machines – I’m sure the MPC Live will be a real powerhouse, but it felt like it isn’t what I’m looking for in a hardware sampler. I was really hyped for it, too, so I was pretty disappointed to come to this conclusion.

(Sorry for the MPC Live off-topic, will zip it now)

1 Like

Thank you Elektron for making the “M” and “W” a littlel wider on the new display! Those smashed together M’s and W’s drove me nuts. I know, it’s the little things :smiley:

4 Likes

In general, I think a lot of people who click with the OT don’t understand why folks are put off by it, and vice versa, the people who are put off by the OT don’t understand why the other folks click with it…
The OT’s weird like that. Seems for the most part your either an OT person or your not…

3 Likes

M and W don’t drive me nuts on Ot and A4, those letters are my real name initials though ! :content:

I am an Otist for sure. :loopy:
DT immediacy and jamability can be holidays for live music, next to Ot. :beers:

1 Like

Hopefully there will be the ability to audition samples thru headphones but not so they’re heard thru the main outs. Other Elektron boxes allow this, don’t they?

The first thing I will do after switching it on is listen to see how good the reverb is thru my Beyerdynamics. I’m wondering about the scope of the options for the reverb and delay FX. Will there be different FX types, like spring, plate, room, cathedral for reverb, and ping pong etc for delay?

There is a Cue fonction on Octatrack, not in DT for the moment apparently, it may be another complicated thing. :slight_smile:
A few settings on AR/A4, 8 for Delay (X and Width setting for pingpong) , 8 for Reverb (no reverb types). The specs might be similar on DT, check AR manual. :wink:
The reverb might be good, but not thru a Beyerdynamics, which is too precise. :grin:

“The Otist Formerly Known as Sezare56”?
You could have your own symbol…

2 Likes

That “Master” has to be a compressor. I’m so convinced.

2 Likes

In one of the Superbooth videos they said that the overdrive acts as a sort of “compressor”. Hopefully that doesn’t mean there is no proper compressor on board.

Btw, I wonder how the wavetable style chromatic playing of a very short looped sample is going to work that Cenk has shown in several demonstrations. How do I know it is in tune? Do I need to keep a guitar tuner nearby?

You would use your ears when tuning a tuna fish.

I don’t trust my ears and for a good reason :slight_smile: …Would be nice if Digitakt included a tuner since they are promoting this type of sample looping as a feature.