Introducing Digitakt

youre taking what i am saying wrong. you can spread sound without it being stereo- plus you can dual mono… stereo is fine with pads yes… but a big system isnt like a huge room hi fi… you dont have to take it from me, do some research into mono over sludgy stereo smearing . its not compulsory as you can widen sounds without having them rebound all over the place in messy stereo… bass for example and beats… why anyone would stereo these signals is beyond me… the first thing you should learn really.

If the Digitakt is incapable of easily handling stereo samples or recording stereo sound sources, it isn’t doing you any favors.

You wouldn’t want to stereo a kick drum but you’d want hats, Tom’s, percussion etc to sit within a stereo field so if sampling a beat you’d want to maintain its stereo recording, no?

If honest I’m bit lost as I’m not 100% on what exactly digitakt is offering so difficult to judge or debate anything

hi, I am wondering what real time recording means in digitakt/elektron context.
I never had any elektron gear. the mpc 2000xl is my center and I absolutely love it. the only thing I miss is that you are not able to real time record - for example a live bass guitar while the beat is playing.

So what do you think, will it be possible to record audio straight to a new audio track without the necessity to stop the beat? how does that work on the OT?

I’d say so, if it’s anything like the OT/MD. I’d assume it has pickup/RAM machines that record to a buffer and can be saved as a sample afterwards.

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Gotharman

Ah, well good luck with the Fuzion, it seems very powerful.

Regarding this thread: I am actually interested to know how the DT will handle sampling, as it will likely indicate a direction for other future Elektron machines with this capability. I tend to use PMs on the OT a lot, but I’ve barely touched manual and recorder trig sampling.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Gotharman

With that Digitakt on the front page, I am hoping a nice web-based interactive demo will appear there, like with the Rytm, Heat, and Keys that are there now, but I think it’s a timing thing, where the Digitakt got shown based on the newness of the hardware, and then the next reveal will be once everything else is locked-in.

I also get a sense another project will be announced soon, not like how Heat led directly to Drive, but maybe it will be time to announce the newer large box. A digital drum sample machine sounds so awesome to me, especially with powerful MIDI sequencing and some way to record samples–but it does seem like Elektron is trying to branch out and do a lot this year. (Reading through everything, my sense is that everyone at Elektron wants to make it clear they are still doing a bunch of different projects and understand that smaller boxes will appeal to some, especially in a modular sense, and that others will jump for joy for an Oct2 or another larger unit. [I’m convinced that an Oct2 with Overbridge is a brilliant idea, but I don’t work for Elektron and I’m sure I’m just hoping they share my enthusiasm!])

Haven’t used overbridge yet but I guess all future Elektron boxes will have it. Hope that doesn’t mean an end to separate outputs tho. Shame to see only L/R on Digitakt. Not everyone wants to go via a computer to run separate tracks through pedals etc. Especially for shows…

1 Like

My guess is that Digitakt will have more outputs through OB, like others have guessed, and I agree that separate outputs are part of what makes a hardware instrument a great standalone device. For live or for composing/having fun, needing a computer or DAW would never feel like an improvement to me, since I’d say Elektron stands out for making hardware that is powerful on its own.

Since it looks like Digitakt was mostly about being a solid and new hardware design with beatmaking potential but also affordable, maybe additional outputs were sacrificed for size and cost. (I am still a little surprised about the idea of mono too, where that seems like a decision that was either made to cut the price or because something else is being planned. Maybe there will be a massive performance mixer called the DigiOverHeater, but probably not.)

the key missing device here would be some sort of Overbridge hub device, like the Roland Aira mixer… multiple USB inputs for elektron boxes, that syncs them all together and also makes all individual track audio ouputs available…

as to what form that would take who knows… could be a mixer, a simple rackmount IO interface, or perhaps even some kind of FX based mixer people have been wanting for a while now… and I suspect such a device would provide multiple audio outputs on 1/4, maybe even 3 or 4 pairs of stereo outs

1 Like

Yeah that would be a solution but tbh I don’t really want to be forced to buy an extra box/mixer just to get separate outputs (without computer). It would start to feel very ‘Apple’ to me. More cables/psu/expense/desk space just to get old functionality that has been around on hardware for years. Just put physical outputs on the unit like other companies :wink: I can vaguely see it being justified on these basic cheaper units like Digitakt. But for something like an OT2 i’d be bummed to not have separate outs. It’s the main reason I bought AK over A4.

4 Likes

I don’t think DT is the product for them.
So far DT has been promoted for its “immediacy”, a feature that usually requires hands-on realtime attentiveness.

1 Like

I think a bunch of folks are still in shock and not able to compute that this device won’t do nearly as much as the “big” boxes… Might take some more time and maybe even it’s release for this to sink in😉…

2 Likes

My Brother got a minilogue yesterday and it struck me what a great companion it would be for the Digitakt, 2 little black boxes for some serious fun!
I’ll plant that seed when I see him next!

1 Like

I resolded my old gear to pay me the digitak

che ck
https://media.giphy.com/media/1DKHVNCuypAZi/giphy.gif

1 Like

well the digitakt only has 1 stereo pair, so its already a done deal… however the box is cheaper, almost 1/2 the price of previous boxes - so maybe the plan is to have the functionality split between various devices rather than all invested in one place, and just make everything more affordable overall so you have more choice at that granular level

it just depends on what direction they plan on going, and honestly that seems like the best move because 500-600 is the sweet spot for electronic music gear and they would sell more products that way

if the digitakt is an omen of whats to come, then its quite logical that such an extra box for audio outs and all that would exist - especially because it could theoretically offer MORE functionality than in the past due to the kinds of integration via overbridge (i.e. routable individual tracks/fx layers/mixing scenes/automation/etc)

of course, this is all speculation based on the idea that overbridge is intended primarily for hardware use rather than a computer solution… which is as of yet just a guess

1 Like

Don’t really know what their plan is either but I know I’d way rather have an OT2 with a decent analog distortion (even if only one circuit) built in and separate outs than have OT2 + AH + Overbridge unit. Obvs YMMV but If the plan is to incline everyone buy every box because of intentional limitations/compromises on each unit then my wallet/deskspace/workflow is gonna struggle to get onboard. The MPC live has hopefully shook things up a little re bang for buck tho and Elektron will bust out some classic boxes again at some point that are overflowing with functionality/features/innovation like OT/AK etc…

1 Like