If the A4MKII sounded like the MKI

After the A4 MK1, i buy the AK… let me tell you here fast i didn’t use the AK that much i really like it because of the keyboard, individual outs, the joystick… But after gone few times to work on my live with everything + the AK, I don’t feel it… I’m seeing me taking the train with everything and I think I will not gonna make it easily. i return it…

i see the A4 MK2 quite a bit like the AK, focus on live Performance and the practical side of moving with the material … with everything i wanted from the AK are now on the desktop version.

I’m also reconciled regarding my reproaches on the bass, but maybe because I put a little more bitte to do and make a lot… and finding my way through that.

FIne, I won’t buy either then. I really want something that sounds different, but still has the Elektron sequencer. I will patiently wait for the new digital thingy.

1 Like

Thanks. Lots of good feedback. I had some previous hands on with the AK and liked the patches I had the owner make for me.
As far as patch building goes, its pretty detailed compared to what I’m used to with basic Moog workflow, so even if the MKII goes further than MK1/AK in that respect, the MKII might just give me a seizure anyway. (Having a Digitakt this past week has been an eye opener.)

Yeh, I’m going back to plan 1. The AK just suits my personal needs.
I see an analog keys in my very near future.

For the comparison i’ve build custom patch.
Some of the presets sounds quite different because of the new distortion and i think the filters are tuned differently.
There is definitely more bass depending of the filter setting. Sometime its good but sometime it sounds a little more boxy.
I like the distortion better for sure but like i said i think the difference are quite minimal and i dont think its night and day like some people said.
In the end i am happy with my purchase because i like the form factor better, the screen and the new knobs but i would not buy the MK2 for the sounds improvement alone.
I liked the MK1 very much so i am happy , but if you didnt like the MK1 there is a good chance you wont like the MK2, its the same synth engine really with some tweaks.

3 Likes

@acidhouseforall Nope your not alone, I really like the sound of the A4 it’s very Roland-ish. Most excellent for Techno, house even d&b.

2 Likes

Anyway, The MK1 is a really great synth and im happy to have both right now.
I like using the a4 in polymode so having both is great.
If you have the money i guess the MK2 is worth it for the new workflow which is much improved btw.
The A4 is not an instant gratification synth but with careful programming i like it as much as my OB6 !

Unfortunately the MK2 has some bugs right now but nothing major. Note that using sound lock on the MK2 is a pain in the *ss with the current OS. see this : A4MKII - Sound lock hiding note parameters

2 Likes

I really enjoyed reading this thread and dear god my eyes have just popped out of my head!!!

I have an A4 but I think it’s overkill for my set up so I’ve taken it away to see how I fair. My gorgeous OB6 does what it does and if I could get my A4 to give me the same smile and happiness I get from my OB6 then I would have smiles for miles and miles and miles and… yeah, I could write that forever. Hehehehe

How on earth do you like them the same?

Could you please enlighten me! I would love to know!!!

I would trade you my Sub37 and A4 for you OB6? I’d love another one of those bad boys!! Serious offer!

The OB6 and the A4 are very different of course.
The A4 is very punchy, really love those env because they are so versatile. By comparaison the OB6 env are nice but they are less snappy than the A4 (to my ear anyway).
To me they are very complementary because the A4 is darker and more lofi , the OB6 is kinda hi fi and more bright.
Its very easy to add movement to the A4 to compensate for the more static DCO. I think its easier to make the OB6 sounds good but there is great satisfaction working with the A4. I also very like the multimode filter combined to the LPF of the A4 to make “Yamaha CS” kind of sounds.
I think its fair to say the OB6 sounds way more alive than the A4 but its much more limited.

I would add, the Sq80 is one of my favorite poly right now. Its gritty lofi and warm at the same time. I guess i like darker synth.

BTW Thanks for the offer but with both A4 i think im fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

I went to the shop to cancel my MKII order, and grab the AK.

Staff guy: “good call, the AK is better at the moment.”
Me: “Huh? Wha?”
Staff guy: “lots of bugs in the MKII, it’ll be months before they iron them out.”
Me: “I’ve not heard about these bugs .”
Staff guy: “oh neither have I, but there always are.”
Me: “So, anyway, I’ll take that AK please.”
Staff guy: “oh sorry, that’s a demo only.”

Have you ever just wanted to slap someone?

5 Likes

A good Sales person would give you that dann Demo unit. A Sale is a sale. Did you ask for His Manager?

1 Like

But then what would he play on breaks? :joy:

5 Likes

Well I’ve had the AK for a week now (or two weeks? Time moves in strange ways when you get a new synth).
All I can say is I’ll probably be getting an A4 mk1 next week too.

Moog affectionados look away! Because with a decent valve preamp the AK sounds every bit as good as the Voyager! (Which doesn’t need a valve amp; whatever.) And AK/4, obviously, much more flexible.
I’ve already contacted the guy who’s renting my Voyager and offered him a more permanent deal :star_struck:

2 Likes

Interesting, what valve preamp do you use ? Any suggestion ?

I couldn’t wait for NAMM any longer and I just ordered an A4 MK2 for a good price. My second Elektron box after the DT.

I’m like, VERY excited! :sunglasses:

1 Like

I use a KC550 :neutral_face: and A&H zed6 :expressionless:

The preamp is an ADL600 Presonus belonging to a buddy, which I played the AK thru last weekend. Looked it up on ebay, Super expensive!

Though I must say, I get a bit of extra warm’n’gooey playing it through an MXR Phase100 and/or Moogerfooger Clusterflux, at respectively low mix levels.

But I’ll be doing the retail scene in the next week, uhm’ing and curiously stroking my chin as I survey a selection of potential preamps. AK in tow.

I’m looking to buy the A4 mkii what price did you get it for and where if you don’t mind me asking

You won’t find one cheaper than Juno:

Yep, Juno is by far the cheapest!!! It’s almost a bargain at this price!

1 Like

Ya I live in Canada

No because what made me sell my MKI was the fact that it lacked power. Everything I did on it was as my friend said “too polite”. The fixed overdrive and improved bottom end totally shattered that. Now it’s one of the best sounding modern analog synths outthere. I’d easly take it over an OB6 or any other expensive modern analog synth any day of the week.

1 Like