If a sound isn't in either browser or pool, where is it?!

Hello

I have a kit (from Reamped Drums soundpack). The name of the snare drum is simply ‘Sound 2’. There’s no reference to that in either the Sound Pool or Sound Browser. Where is it then? Is it just a property of the kit?

Yes - in this case the sound is one of the 12 sounds a kit carries.
If you want to save this sound to use it somewhere else, you can select the sound with “trk” + “pad” go to the “sound manager” go to a free slot and “save track sound”.

2 Likes

Great, thanks.

Yes … so I wanted to copy a sound (including sample) from a kit, between projects. I did some Googling and it seemed like it was really complicated. Or at least appeared to be from various Elektronauts postings.

Only it’s isn’t! As you say, save the track sound to the +Drive, switch projects, open sound manager and load sound to track. It retains the reference to the sample and puts it in your first available sound pool slot. I also saved the sound to RAM for that project - if that makes sense - as that seemd the right thing to do.

Is this correct? Am I missing something? If I’ve saved the sound to project RAM is it now independent of the +Drive? Hopefully yes.

Are there any gotchas doing this? I guess one is FX as FX are global and whilst send/return values are part of a sound the actual FX parameters aren’t.

Did this functionality come in an OS update or has it always been there?

Jim

Each kit has 12 sounds that get saved in the kit. You never have to save the sounds to the +drive or sound pool. Each project has 128 kits each with 12 sounds that get saved to the kit when you save it. Only the active kit retains changes after power cycle so be sure to save the kit if you made changes you want to keep. So these sounds are saved in the kits of the project.

You can save a sound from a kit to the +drive so that you can load it into a kit in another project. Any of the kit’s 12 sounds can be saved to the +drive or replaced by loading a sound from the +drive. When loading a sound from the +drive it becomes part of the kit, when saving from the kit to the +drive it saves a copy of the kits sound.

The sound pool is only used for the ability to use sound locks in a project. Each project has 128 sound pool slots that when filled allow you to lock different sounds on each step, as long as the track is able to load the machine selection saved in the sound…

3 Likes