Ideas for a dedicated Elektron MIDI sequencer - and why

Well, they have the DeepMind… Maybe they are the ones to approach with this!

I know , I’m a bad man. :hushed:

Yea I had OT and loved the sequencer… but the rest of the machine is just too complex for me. I love my SP-16 and it’s 16 stereo tracks with 256mb of RAM and total UX flow is light years ahead of OT. But if Elektron creates standalone Midi sequencer, I will be able to use it with my SP-16 (which sadly has quite limited midi sequencer). It should be absolutely amazing DAWless setup then.

The OT MIDI sequencer is almost there but not quite… as was the MD sequencer. Elektron has the basic ingredients already!

Such a box would be very nice indeed but it isn’t going to come from Elektron…

Bridge Over Troubled Waters :disappointed_relieved:

I agree, most of the features are spread on several of their machines (OT, MD, DTone), and it is more about collating all this (refresh the features, and with some add-ons things) into a new box. I would be happy with 16 tracks and several (min 3) midi outs to limit daisy chaining. As form factor I would favor either the old boxes or the MKII, but not the Digitakt form factor (I don’t like having 16 steps on two lines IMHO).

Now the real question is: is there an adequate market demand for this midi dedicated box to make it a viable business case for Elektron? Not certain, but I am pretty sure they know already. This is why it could be an opportunity for a revamped AnalogKey mk2 (why not 8 voices) with a full fletched midi sequencer = making it the new flagship of Elektron.

An AK like this would be waayy too expensive. A desktop box with the price and features I described should be a winner (for the reasons I described). The Elektron name would bring it to the top.

Didn’t know the Carbon was open source, that’s cool. Is there any user activity in the way of custom patches or software for it?

If I was in the market for a standalone sequencer I’d probably go for Squarp Pyramid, Cirklon or Ableton Live. But after having used an Octatrack for ages it’s hard to envision using a sequencer that can’t also sample.

Also: off topic but I had to laugh when I saw that the duration of Nagualizer’s ban is 1000 years. Been mostly offline for a couple of weeks so not sure what the beef was, but ouch.

Nagulizer was also alexcase, posting from two accounts agreeing with himself from what I saw. Probably other stuff too

But on topic I think elektron would be shooting themselves in the foot by making a midi sequencer. Same reason I’ll never see an op-1 shaped midi keyboard

1000 years

The mod panel asks us to select a length of time for the suspension.
“Forever” defaults to 1,000 years. We don’t choose 1,000 years specifically, it’s just what the software equates to “forever”.

Previous versions would only allow us to do “up to 99,999” days.

3 Likes

I prefer it this way. Banishment, for 1000 years

Sounds more dramatic

2 Likes
As mods, we prefer..

everyone follow the guidelines and help us to make this a more inviting place. Most people do, fortunately. Suspensions do not feel good. It requires a lot of our time to even come to the conclusion that a warning is in order, and much more so for a suspension.

Back on topic, I wonder if Elektron has it in them to go for a dedicated sequencer. Now with DN and DT and OT sporting MIDI sequencers with trig conditions, it seems like, even for Elektron, a dedicated sequencer would be an incredibly niche product.

2 Likes

Agreed. Perhaps more importantly, I don’t think a standalone sequencer would be a sufficiently fun product for Elektron to build.

2 Likes

I agree

If they added a few more features, and kept it around 600, I think they could dip into buyers looking for something like a cirklon who don’t have thousands to spend. Still seems niche though.

1 Like

Like the MKI’s?

2 Likes

I have used (And right now) mnm for years as a Main sequencer in My rig ,only 2 part for powerful bass,other for trig s3000xl,kp3,various fx,helped from a patchbay And 3 controllers,its a techno based set up. Other genre maybe require different Things ,anyway works Good for me

1 Like

The monomachine has a great sequencer. It was my main one for quite a while. I picked up a DT which has microtiming, retrig, and conditionals and now use that to sequence my monomachine a lot. Those three little extras make a significant difference.

1 Like

You got retrigs going into the MM!? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yea, for me, micro timing, conditionals, and polyrhythms are a big reason I no longer own MD and MM. Combined, they really give new life to a sequence.

2 Likes

You are correct no retrigging the mono with the dt midi sequencer, totally wish that was the case. But having them on the DT really highlights the fact the are not readily available in the monos sequencer.

1 Like