How to use Flex machine for live looping

Ahhh… so if I understand you, overdubbing on the same flex requires sending its output to Cue and overdubbing with the +1 micro-timed playback trig?

I guess there’s a few ways to do it with flex, I usually just use pickups for overdub…

One way is set Src3 to the track playing the loop you want to overdub onto, and also select the inputs on the same recorder…

Another way is to set Src3 to cue and then simply cue the tracks you wish to combine together, or also select the inputs to overdub on top of a cued track or tracks…

In either situation if you want to monitor the new track as the overdub is happening, you would need the microtiming offset. It will still overdub without microtiming but you won’t hear the recording until after its done…

(Edit: the microtiming trick creates a feedback loop if trying to overdub on one track with flex)

1 Like

I succeeded to overdub with Flex, OT clock slaved, because somebody asked and was surprised to have the DUB ARBORTED message with Pickups, clock slaved.
Quite boring, since I can achieve what I want with a Pickup with QREC and monitoring instead of Thru + Flex. OT master.

Already too much gear, but I still think about my former dedicated loopers, sooo simple ! :smile:

Yeah for realtime monitoring with SRC3 you need +1 microtiming but with Flex overdub you get an awfull feedback if I remember well…
So there’s a monitoring problem if you want to hear track fx in realtime. Resolved with Pickups.

I want to try hold mode combined with recorder trig to see if you can press different input selections at the same time, for overdub… :thinking: And then mix and match them… I guess if it works it would be similar to Src3 cue, but a little different…

Could you elaborate?
I used hold mode once, in a complicated experiment, something like Plays Free tracks playing recordings, Plays Free midi tracks controlling recorders in hold mode… :loopy:
From @dustmotes idea !

1 Like

I’m talking about recording hold mode as opposed to one or one2…

If you set a recorder trig and combine with hold mode for a 64 step recording, after recording begins if you press track+a/b for 32 steps and then track+midi for 32 steps, your recording is 32 steps of a/b inputs then 32 steps of your Src3 selection.

I don’t know if you can press track+midi+a/b at the same time, and then let go of a/b and press c/d…
So that you’d overdub a/b onto half of the recording and c/d to the other half, for example…

With Src3 cue you can do similar things by changing what’s cued during recording, but this would give you direct input access and not need a track that’s monitoring inputs to cue…

1 Like

Video tutorial ? :smile:

2 Likes

I kind of like to keep pushing the envelope without necessarily implying or even knowing why or what you’d do with it…
Push envelope first, see what’s possible, then figure out what to do with it… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Right, I can see how a track playing a recording of itself as its recording is a feedback loop… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I don’t know if I’ll figure it out without the OT in front of me… Use 2 tracks? Just don’t live monitor that track? Other stuff? I’ll maybe edit my post above to not confuse, and post back if I figure something out…

2 Likes

Yeah, but surprisingly there’s no larsen feedback without microtiming, because the recording is delayed…
I just made some tests, a recorder recording its recording, and you can obtain crazy things with filter self oscillation. It works with or without microtiming, but beware with microtiming !

I thought this was figured out before… And folks said you could use one track?

Just using a different recorder than the track # set in Src3 will resolve the feedback loop, but uses another track…
If your loop you want to overdub onto is track 2, using any other recorder besides recorder 2 won’t create feedback.

A bit late for me, but if you want to overdub, you need the recorder to record its recording, no ?

Not if you use another track that is recording both the loop track and the inputs…

A bit early, but if you want several overdubs… :coffee:

I just overdubbed on a Flex Machine, without micro-timing or feedback.

Duplicated the experiment as well. Here is how I did this.

I created a new project, set tracks 1-4 with flex machines, each Track using its own buffer for playback, regular playback Trig, and 1-shot recorder trig( both on 1st step ), QRec-PL
Recording Options were AB CD Cue *SRC3 also worked with the same track #
*SRC3-Main = doubling of output volume

Steps to reproduce behavior

1- make settings as described
2- record 1st loop (track+yes)
3- Func+Cue to send track to Main out & Cue
||: 4- record overdub (track+yes) :||

I was able to build a track recording and then overdubbing loops from my iPad ear-synced to OT’s metronome using one track.

@Open_Mike - I think SRC3 setting, in this case, Cue is the magic. Works just like you said.

Color me surprised that this didn’t feedback like the first time I attempted this. I set my mind to figure this out since I have several days with little to do… I figured it might take a few days, but I actually got this on the first try. I do not remember what settings I had that fed back, but I had several factors that obviously influenced the machine behavior that are not present in my hotel room, such as OT being slaved to MIDI Clock and live mics being processed with Thru machines, so there’s that.

Now if undo could affect last thing recorded…

2 Likes

No microtiming = no feedback.
+1 microtiming if you want to play realtime your SRC3 recording, but if you want to overdub, feedback.

A undo workaround is to save the recording, assign to self, and reload it if your overdub is bad.
Quite quick.

2 Likes

@sezare56

I’m confused - are you saying that by adjusting the record trig :arrow_right:️ 1 step that you can monitor the overdub in real time without feedback?

I’m using headphones, OT, and iPad:
In my phones I’m hearing the first recorded sample; I don’t hear the overdub until after it’s recorded regardless of headphones M --|-- C setting.

The only way I’ve been able to hear the overdub is by using a Thru machine, either cued or just going to the mains ( which doubles the overdub volume on loop restart)

No, you have to choose between +1/384 microtiming for realtime and 0 for overdub, unless you want feedback.
It is internal feedback, so it can happen with monitors or headphones. It can be interesting with overdrive and filters, self oscillation…

I’ll experiment more with this in the coming week.
I was unable to generate feedback or realtime monitoring this morning with or without micro-timing.

Playing with feedback and the effects should generate some really interesting drones! I used to do this with Logic, so I’m familiar with internal feedback processing. Cross fader & scenes will take that to a whole new thing.
Thanks for the tip

2 Likes