How to make a pluck sound?

Hi! New mm user here. Just trying to figure out (unsuccessfully) how to make a pluck sound? Just where the lp envelope closes on the sound quickly so it sounds like a pluck? Very simple in all synths I’ve used previously but am having trouble with it since the envelope section of the mm isn’t traditional.
Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks!!!
Ben

Years since I played on one but maybe use a tight delay on a short burst and set feedback to taste, slightly karplus style…

I’m sure many others will have better ideas though :+1:t3:

Use a noise source with a super short and snappy amp env, then run that into a comb filter full dry/wet, feedback to taste. P.lock the comb filter frequency for melody.
Karplus Strong style.

1 Like

Couldn’t remember if there was a comb filter! Nice

There’s a comb filter?

Here’s a video on how to do Karplus Strong on Monomachine. This is what basically unlocked the power of Monomachine’s delay engine for me which I’ve used to make really unusual sounds, but here it shows doing a string kind of pluck (if that’s what was being sought).

I think the video shows how to set up key tracking to the delay to keep it tuned.

Is there a comb filter in Monomachine? (Can one use the chorus effect like one? I know the Modor NF-1 uses a comb filter for chorus and flange effects, based on the comb filter settings. Maybe you can use one of those effects on MM that way? Octatrack has comb filter for sure, and I love it).

1 Like

http://tarekith.com/assets/monomachine_tipsandtricks.htm

Above is a wonderful guide to the Monomachine. It was written/compiled by one of the members here. It is incredibly helpful for new Monomachine users. There is a Karplus synthesis section if you are looking for that type of plucking sound.

The same thing is possible in the octatrack Karplus Strong Synthesis using Octatrack

I dont have a monomachine, but if you have the equivalent of a thru machine and a comb filter, endless karplus plucky fun. Add conditional trigs and it gets… addictive.

There’s no trad filter envelope on the MM, the intention being (I assume) that you would use one of the three LFOs per track for that. The one that is like an exponential curve downwards is the one you want, assigned to the filter width, it will spike the value and then drop very quickly (according to the speed / multiplier values you set). Remember to set it to “ONE” so that it resets/triggers with the amp trig by default, and does not loop.

1 Like

Its an amp env before the signal hits the comb filter that you need for this style of karplus strong. So I dont think it matters if the filter has no env.
A one shot LFO can shape the comb filter if required.
Then again, there are always many paths to the same outcome

The ATK/DEC/BOFS/WOFS settings on the filter page don’t count as an envelope?

1 Like

Ah. Erm. Well, yes it is. I’m so into the habit of using the LFO to shape the filter I guess.

1 Like

You’re right though, the EXP LFO is a lot quicker for things like kicks.

Some lovely plucks are what I miss about my Eurorack. Would love to see some Karplus stuff done on the A4, if any of you have examples of such.

1 Like

Am I the only person who dislikes the karplus strong sound?

1 Like