How old are you and where are you from?

Which town ? Im from Quebec btw :slight_smile:

Been hanging around here for a while but didn’t notice this thread before…

41, now living, raising family and doing research in Canberra, Australia (the capital in fact :wink: ) but originally from Germany, grown up on the northern fringes of the Ruhrgebiet, have lived in the US and Swizerland in the last 10 years as well…

Very early inspiration and kindling of fascination with synthesisers courtesy of Kraftwerk and my parents’ reel-to-reel tape recorder. Today I listen to too many different styles of music to list here, but I am trying to pursue technoid electronic styles myself in the little spare time I have…

If there are any people from the greater ACT area: it would be great to hear from you!

1 Like
1 Like

Crap on a stick!! Looks like I have you all beat?!?

58…in El Lay, CA.

Don’t worry young ones, my students (college age) are going BAT SHIT over the Elektron instruments (me too actually). It is the shit! Not just for old people any more ;0

I listen to:
Louis Andriessen
Portishead
Grizzly Bear
Eyvind Kang
Deadmau5
Ulrich Kreiger
Little Jimmy Scott
Avey Tare
PJ Harvey
Kronos Quartet
Panda Bear
Julie Wolfe
JIm Tenney
Lou Reed
David Lang
Jon Dobie
Psychedelic Furs
Ray LeMontagne
Michael Gordon
Steve Lacey
Blonde Redhead
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Chill Out
David Bowie
Bjork
My Music
Nick Cave
recorded w Subotnick
recorded w Zappa
recorded w Flea
recorded w Bang on a Can
recorded w The E A R Unit
so I kinda have to like it…

I use the Make Noise Shared System, Moog Werkstadt, Ableton, Reaktor…Mallet Kat, QuNeo, Push, DrumKat, AnalogRYTM, AnalogKeys, Mandala Drum, DITI, Theremin, photo resistors, thermometer…

xoxo, Amy

11 Likes

I am old and I come from the grim and frostbitten north. :smiling_imp:

Or in other words 44 and Helsinki Finland.

My musical background is in playing guitar and bass in heavier alt.-type bands, one of which got to somewhat serious level in the late 1990s. After that ended I got into doing electronic music, hiphop beats and downtempo whatnot, had a break for a couple of years and now have been getting back into making music again, geared mainly towards deeper techno.

1 Like

13 posts were split to a new topic: Retrospective perspectives (spinoff topic)

36, Berlin. Currently inspired by Downtempo EDM artists, who produce between 90 and 100 bpm and still manage to get the floor bouncing.

Any other Berliners on here?

1 Like

38 Dublin.
I like melodic drone, aciiid, old dark jungle, breakcore, classical, sludge / doom metal, and carly rae jepsen.

Started Djing in the late 90s when i was 16, learned music on my bro’s atariST akai s3000 n hardware synths, went itb for years which sucked. barely remember my 20’s. barely remember my early 30s either.
Got an MD about 7 years ago n since then I’m fully hardware. hopefully ill remember this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m 22 and from the East Midlands, about an hour north of London.

I’ve played in bands through uni and also make lofi BMSR-esque tracks with a Digitakt and SP404.

I work as a copywriter, hopefully trying to break into marketing in the music tech industry. Fingers crossed I’ll be able to write all day (like I do now) but about synths and samplers.

1 Like

How do you get 0.5 of a cat?

2 Likes

:scissors:

1 Like

41, Italy. Some years ago became addicted of metal boxes making weird sounds, now I’m spending most of my free time with it.
Find Elektron machines are the best for me: easy workflow, deep creative possibilities.

1 Like

Russia, Volgograd. 23 years old.
Me like basically devices of Akai, Roland, Elektron, Tasty Chips.

1 Like

Quantum physics paradox? No, actually one of our cats decided that she’d rather live out and about in the neighborhood and started coming “home” only about once a week.

2 Likes

I can appreciate any music thread that references Schrödinger. :happy:

:thup:

34, Antwerp (Belgium).
Taking my first steps into the Elektron world with my new Digitakt, but I’ve been eyeing Elektron boxes for a while now.

1 Like

37, from glorious Huddersfield but now living in Copenhagen. Bought an Octatrack in 2015 after many years of having no hardware and not really making any music. Tried a Machindrum for a bit but it felt ancient after the Octatrack and I realised I’m not really a fan of drum machine sounds. Constantly eyeing up a Rytm but have not gone there yet. Mk2 with sampling might push me over the edge.

1 Like

38 years old, Louisville, KY USA but originally from Wisconsin USA and even though I moved south as a kid, I will always feel like the weird northerner though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Go Packers!

At age 42, my wife, 12 year old son and I live in sun soaked and hurricane battered Tampa, Florida, USA. I began doing electronic music back in the mid 1990s and I still have much of what I purchased back then. I was a technology professional for much of the past 20 years but I decided to change fields and go into business for myself. I now work in finance, something I find incredibly interesting. So far it’s been enjoyable to combine my analytical mindset with my understanding of economics and love for problem solving.

I guess it was back in 2013 that I bought my Octatrack, which was my first Elektron instrument. Prior to that, I had some experience (through a band mate) with a SIDStation in the early 2000s. You could say it was early on that I recognized Elektron as a company to keep an eye on. :wink:

The beaches by us:

6 Likes