How many times have you bought and sold the same gear?

I’ve been doing this for 35 years, so I can’t remember everything. Let’s see, off the top of mine own skull,

Korg Wavestation x 4? (one EX, two SR, one A/D, I think)
Ensoniq Mirage x 2? 3? (Still have one)
Ensoniq ESQ-1 x 2
Moog Rogue x 3
Roland SH-09 x 2
ARP Odyssey x 3 (Have a vintage MkIII now)
Nord G2 x 2 (have one now, not fully working)
Roland MKS-7 x 2
Roland V-Synth (one each XT and GT)
Kawai K5 x 2
Kawai K5000 x 3 (have one now)
Yamaha CS-15 x3 (have one now)
E-mu Morpheus x 2? x 3? Can’t recall.
Yamaha TG33 x 3 I think
Roland Alpha Juno x2 or 3, counting the MKS-50
Roland JX-3p x 2 counting MKS-30
Casio FZ-1 x 2
Casio CZ-101 x 2
Yamaha TX-802 x2 or 3
Yamaha TX81Z x 2 or 3
Lexicon Jamman x 2
Lexicon Vortex x 2 or 3
Lexicon MPX-1 x 2
Yamaha ProMix 01 x 3
Tascam 38 x 3 (at least)
Eventide DSP 4000 x 2 (Gave it away. The second was the GTR4000 incarnation which I still have)
Oberheim DX x 2 or 3
Neumann TLM-103 x 2 (gave the last one away)
CAD E-200 x 3. Gave two of those away.

There are loads more that I’m forgetting, I’m sure. It’s funny. I see a lot of people buying and selling Elektrons. I can’t imagine being without mine. I might sell my Machinedrum to get a UW, but other than that, no way.

3 Likes

You’ve let go of and reacquired some nice gear over the years!

1 Like

Never.

It has been a lot of years. I bought a lot of now-vintage things when they were new the first time around. I don’t regret most of the gear I’ve let go - Only the ones on the list above enough to buy again. I’ve ditched way, way more than that. Some I regret but are too expensive to replace (2600, CS-60). I’ll probably end up with another Wavestation someday. I am very, very happy with what I have now and have only the merest gear lust these days (I’d like an Analog Heat and an Eagenmatrix Expander for my Continuum), so I don’t expect to buy - or sell - a lot over the next year(s). Unless, of course, Elektron has something to blow my mind on the horizon. And they probably do.

1 Like

It is. It’s nice for the subtle saturation and to have a multi-track recorder that doesn’t command you to stare at it. It’s a very inviting format.

Also the variable speed motor is good fun with a sampler :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unless youre in a dire situation and cant pay rent, ive never really undestood the whole selling off gear thing…you always get shafted. Id rather trade for something of equal value. But most of the time, if I want something new,…I just suck it up and buy it. This way…in 20-30 years my house will be a vintage gear museum lol. Its always nice to pull out that old synth or drum machine you forgot about 10 years ago, and get re-inspired.

3 Likes

I’m glad i’m not the only one with head issues.

With kids, it’s even more important that I sell things in order to purchase new things. If money wasn’t an issue, then yeah, I wouldn’t sell anything.

I also only have so much space on my desk :stuck_out_tongue :stuck_out_tongue:

Man tell me about it - We recently had our first child, a little baby girl in Dec - and I feel sooo guilty buying gear. I sold some less used gear to partially finance a Make Noise system and even with a flat trade I feel guilty…

Daddy gene…
Although I keep telling myself one day she will be wiggling with my gear! :hatching_chick::joy:

1 Like

I rarely sell things for money. More often than not I want to make space or I simply didn’t dig the instrument enough to keep it or upgraded to something I preferred - for instance, I went through a lot of Roland polysynths since buying an Alpha Juno when it was first released before eventually getting an MKS-80 when I had the funds and rack space. Ditto for Moog monosynths - once I bought and restored a vintage Minimoog, there was little reason to buy another monophonic Moog.

I used to have a rule that if I didn’t record an instrument in a given six month period, I’d unload it. I am not as strict about that these days, but it is a good way to keep good gear from collecting dust. I would rather somebody else make music with an instrument that I am not getting anything out of.

(and I do kinda have a vintage gear museum :blush:)

1 Like

Exactly, I feel guilty when I’m not using something or even not utilising everything a piece of gear has to offer.

2 Likes

That makes sense. You can always lend out under loved/utilized synths to a trusted friend. I do this frequently and I get gratitude and the occassional favor out of it. :wink:

3 Likes

If only I had more real-life music friends :cry:

4 Likes

I’m only guilty of selling and then buying again a Monomachine SFX-60+ Mk2.

But with the money, I’d also be guilty of buying back the black Waldorf MW XT, the MPC2000XL, the 909, and definitely the OP-1.

2 Likes

You might have a synth addiction if you…

6 x tb 303
5 x tr 909
3 x tx81z
2 x s950

1 Like

6 x 303’s??? Wow. Are you TM404? Or, better yet, did you sell all the 303’s to TM404? :open_mouth:

Just an very early bird to the market

I’ve just ordered my second Octatrack. I sold the last one as I found it too complicated, but I don’t think I gave it enough of a chance or put in enough hours with it. I also paired it with an A4 and an AR first time round, which I think was too much to get my head around at once. This time I’m keeping the setup simple, just my octatrack, plenty of samples and my Nord A1. Wish me luck!

1 Like

sounds fabulous, G.E.

i sold my Octatrack as i had turned it into an artwork.

going to buy another one. one day. and put an orange screen in there.

remember it is meant to be an instrument.

Re-Purchased a MD recently, also repurchased an Electro Harmonix Octave Multiplexer pedal,
also bought a tuner for the bass. I’ve purchased tuners before but gave my most recent one away, stupidly :smiley:
got a Korg Pitchblack tuner with true bypass to maintain instrument tone.